Would you take a job on less money?

Cause i think I’m going to…

I’ve a pretty cushy job, work what hours I want for as long as I want. They’re a good bunch to work for and so are the drivers. I wouldn’t dare say what me take home pay is after just 6 weeks on class one… But it’s supermarket deliveries and that’s all it’s going to be.

I’ve now been offered a job working for a local firm, week of nights, week of days, which suits me… Ok, the nights will be dropping off to supermarkets, yeah I know, but different. The days will be running trailers around the country, fine… The wages are far from poverty but no-where what I’m on now…

The advantages are that they do a lot of varied work, including European, I’ve told them I wouldn’t want to be stuck doing the same thing for long, I want to learn and learn fast, they’re happy with that. My base will be a lot closer to home and I’d be sharing a decent rig…

All in all the only reservations I have is the money, I have the weekend to think it over… Fool or what ?

yes steve i would and i did :open_mouth: . sometimes its not about the money though, you have to be happy in what you do. weigh up the pro`s and cons, leave the job your in properly… all my ex-bosses have told me if things dont work out i can go back. its a nice safety cushion knowing if things dont work out how you want you can turn back the clock :wink: .
good luck whatever you decide.
rgds jon

i indeed to swap jobs for less hourly pay and a lot less hours …its gone midday on saturday and they still dont know what i am doing Monday

The experience you’ll gain with the varied work they’ll give you will far out weigh the pay…

I would, if the job, or more to the point, the TRUCK, was right… :smiley:

Besides, if they are going to offer you international work, you won’t be around so much to spend the money… :smiley:: :wink:

Luv
Chrisie… :sunglasses:

Ragtop:
The experience you’ll gain with the varied work they’ll give you will far out weigh the pay…

I would, if the job, or more to the point, the TRUCK, was right… :smiley:

Besides, if they are going to offer you international work, you won’t be around so much to spend the money… :smiley:: :wink:

Luv
Chrisie… :sunglasses:

Yes, it’s the experience I’m after… Can only pull those Somerfield trailers for so long can’t we :slight_smile:

A decent truck would be more than welcome, Merc or Daf are the order of the day so we’ll see after i’ve done some bleeping.

As for international I can but hope, certainly let them know that’s what I’d like…

And as Jon so rightly says I can always go back up to Ross.

Ah yes,Somerfield.I know them well.

I used to work for them until 18 months ago,out of Sherburn,and yes,the money is fantastic,but the job can be monotonus,and the trucks only just capable of doing the job,but in that respect,you can say the same about all supermarket outfits.At least if the contract changes hands,then the new logistics company will transfer you through TUPE agreements,so you will be ok there then.

The one beauty about working for these type of outfits,is job security.People always need food,they don’t always need general haulage.You may find that your proposed employer may seem like the best thing since sliced bread,but can you be sure you’ll be in a job in say,6 months time.

Also,you are home daily with supermarkets,with general haulage,you may not be.Personal choice I’m afraid on that one.

But would I go to a job for less money,when I know my current employer pays better? Absolutely not!!! I work to live,not live to work.

Ken.

Quinny:
Ah yes,Somerfield.I know them well.

I work to live,not live to work.

Ken.

my sentiments exactly m8…

Yes, I would.

I could earn more money elsewhere but I’m happy with the work and conditions where I am, and as I earn enough, then that’s good enough for me. Money ain’t everything!

Vince

I agree with whats been said you spend alot of time at work and if your happy it makes up for less money.

agree with last post.job ive got now is less money than my previous one.but the hours suit me,and the laugh is worth an extra pound a hour.but that will not stop me laying into them next wage round.

Money isn’t everything - I was in a very well paid job nearly 4 years ago and decided on a total career change (screen name is a clue :wink: )

If you don’t need the money I’d say go for it, what have you got to lose? If you leave on good terms you can always go back if you want or need to. :laughing:

Get the different experiences while you can as you never know what’s around the corner :wink: :wink:

One thing I did notice, Steve … and you will learn to hate it once you start running around the country doing nights out etc… you said “sharing a decent rig”. Thats an absolute no no if you are doing nights out. Once you get into things, you will find your unit becomes your second home. You’ll have all kinds of little things tucked away in the lockers (things like shaving foam and toiletries in general) and if you’re sharing, it is an absolute pain in the ■■■■ taking it all out because of another driver. I will NEVER work on a firm where I have to share a motor.

I’ve not been in this job long, but one thing I know, working for an agency you get variety, and I like variety, some weeks I can be doing the same trip, same place week after week, for a few months, if i get fed up i can ask for a change. Ok the money isnt fantastic, it has its pluses and minuses, but I love my job, and what better than getting paid for something you enjoy doing.

Only you can decide what’s best for you.

Take it easy out there

Allrighty

TheBear:
I will NEVER work on a firm where I have to share a motor.

That’d be nice… :unamused:

It takes me 15 minutes to decamp after just one day, let alone a couple… !!!

I’d love my own unit, but I can’t see it happening for a while yet… !!

Luv
Chrisie, :sunglasses:

Thanks for all you thoughts on this folks…

I’m leaning on the side of accepting, subject to having a in-depth chinwag with them come Monday. When they phoned to offer me the position I was typically in the rush hour negotiating city centre traffic, and he had left by the time I’d phoned back

A few things I should mention…

Currently I run as a self employed “contract driver” (whatever that supposed to mean). What it does seem to mean is that I can’t pick and choose when I work (one of my bugbears), I work 5days/week with every other Saturday or Sunday, typically 60-70 hours/week, and can choose my start times. Paid minimum 8 hours, often work 5-6 hours cause it’s job and finish. A couple of quid extra for weekends, double bubble for bank hols.

I quite enjoy it where I am, novelty has yet to wear off. Enough physical to keep me active, dragging cages onto tail lift. Most of the units I drive are up to scratch and well maintained. No hassle whatsoever from staff, both staff and drivers are very helpful. Drivers often spend an hour or so waiting to go out so gives us time to chat and get to know. I could very easily see this out till retirement, and that seems to be the name of the game. But I’m new to all this, I want to learn and have very little time left to do it. I feel it’s time to move on…

The job I’ve been offered, by TDW Ammanford if anyone has any input, is to work on a new contract for Tesco near me, so not the £15/day it’s costing now. This is a night run to a few drops down West Wales, on a bay, staff unload. This will be with TDW kit, unit and trailers parked up at Magor, to keep the unit working the week of days will be doing TDW’s regular work.

The units they run seem to be a mixture of Merc, DAF and Volvo, all nice and clean… Yes, I will be sharing a unit, days/nights, but I won’t be doing nights out so not a biggy. They do all sorts, trunking, tramping and continental, so plenty of scope me thinks.

The money unfortunately would be quite a bit less, but… If it was soley about money I would have stuck to what I know. Children are leaving the nest, though to Uni which is an expense, house is done and dusted, wife reasonably well paid. Even so I do need an income, and I’d like a challenge, while at the same time enjoy the work… More importantly enjoy the people I work with, and I’ve found this is a refreshing industry to work in… I’ll stop at this point as this is another topic I could ramble on about.

Perhaps I’m expecting to much ? “it’s only a driving job for christs sake”

Maybe I’m letting my heart rule my head ? but, “there’s only a short time to be left”

On the other hand who gives a dam, can always go back I guess…

Steve,
Judging by you location I would say you run out of Tesco, Magor, … Am I right :question:
Now I don’t know if you are actually employed by Tesco or a contractor but I know exact;y how you feel. When I was working for Tesco I started as agency but soon became a full time tesco employee, the boredom drove me crazy, the security, life insurance and pay was great, but driving to the same old stores every day drove me to keep on looking. I took the roadshow job which although the basic hourly pay was a bit less and the hours much longer, was far more interesting and as it happened with overtime, expenses and perks earned me a great deal more and I saw Europe, not just Tesco stores.

If you want to move then do what your heart tells you and enjoy it. :slight_smile:

You only have one life, so live it how you want :smiley:

Pat Hasler:
Steve,
Judging by you location I would say you run out of Tesco, Magor, … Am I right :question:

Not quite Pat… I run for Wincanton pulling Somerfield trailer out of Ross-on-Wye as an agency driver. The job I’ve been offered is on the staff for TDW, delivering at night for Tesco’s out of Magor, which is much nearer home - you were close though :slight_smile:

The night Tesco run I can live with, easy peasy… It’s the alternate day’s on general haulage that appeals. Along with the fact that the firm do a wide variety of work, including European. I will make the point that I wouldn’t want to do this particular run forever, unless it suits. If they’re happy with that, and are prepared to groom and train me, I’d be the proverbial pig considering I’ve only been in this game a few months…

Pat Hasler:
If you want to move then do what your heart tells you and enjoy it. :slight_smile:

You only have one life, so live it how you want :smiley:

My sentiment entirely… We spend a large part of our life in work, more so in this industry, and I’ve never stayed doing something I don’t like for long. I’ve only a few years left, and we know how quick it will pass. I’ve always been a bit of an adventurer, pack my bags and move into the unknown, but life’s been put on hold these last 20 years, family commitments.

I’ve now found something new that I enjoy, feels like life has started all over again. At my age this is probably the nearest I’m going to get, those big trucks and life on the road is beckoning, and I intend to make the best of it…

Steve,
There is only one question to ask - ‘can you afford it?’
If the answer is ‘yes’, and you seem to be saying it is, then go for it.
I have always put experience before money and never regretted it. But one thing to remember. If at all possible, always leave on good terms, don’t drop anyone in it. Then you can always go back. I’ve had a few rows but never packed up and walked off the job without notice.
When I came out here I took a considerable drop, but had worked it out and it was the best thing I could have done. Mind you, couldn’t have done it a few years ago with a family and mortgage to support.
Best of luck.
Salut, David.

When I started trucking I took a took a drop of about £1.50 an hour. However working a lot more hours 60 + a week made up for it. Though I have been lucky and moved up to Class one and got a rise fairly quickly. But would have stuck at the lower wage for a job I’m happier doing. You spend a lot of your life at work better to spend your time enjoying it .