Would you do this job?

I have had 6 months experience class 2 working monday to friday 8 hours a day practically (with the very occasional overtime thrown in when needed).

Rate of pay £8.50 for 13 weeks then £9.20 for the rest of the time. Start time 6am - finish 2pm.

So that job ended and now a new agency I registered with offered me this job today.

Job start times varies from 4am to 8am and finishes can be anything up to a 15 hour day (which seems to be normal for a lot of guys on this forum)

It was mentioned that the employer does like to maximise the hours and sometimes the job is double manned.

It is class 2 work with curtainsiding.

Rate of pay is £8.40 for first 10 hours then time and a half.

It was also mentioned there could be nights out.

I turned the job down straight away as I only want work where I am the only driver. I dont like to be driven anywhere and I like to be my own boss.

I also dont want to work all hours going and dont fancy a night sleeping across the passenger seat or drivers seat.

Pay is pretty poor especially with the very early start. I also dont like curtainsides work.

What do you guys/gals think?

Stick with the job you have. The new one is an agency job that probley don’t exsist.

Can almost guarantee you won’t be on that contract with only 6 months experience. Don’t ditch a full time job for agency.

fingermissing:
Stick with the job you have. The new one is an agency job that probley don’t exsist.

Thanks for the reply.

The job I had has ended, hence me looking for a new job and being offered this new job by a new agency I have registered with. The job does exist as I was there ready to have a drugs/alcohol test ( an american companys policy) when I found out more about the job.

Radar19:
Can almost guarantee you won’t be on that contract with only 6 months experience. Don’t ditch a full time job for agency.

I was with my old agency with that job (my first real job as a driver) so a very good experience to start with but that job ended 2 weeks ago.

This new agency I registered with did not have all the details for the job as its sub-contracted to another agency. So when I went there for the drugs/alcohol test I found out more and was put off and told them the job was unsuitable for me.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Well I think the rate is rubbish, van drivers are on more than that here.

As for double-manning,d epends on who you drive with, it can be OK and if it’s not all the time, then it’s best of both worlds; it’s one of those try it before you knock it things.

Only issue I have with it is the rate. If it was £10ph at least I would probably consider it.

I would hang out for a better paid job as rate not the best

Lots of work via agencies atm in my experience

Register with another few and you should be working in no time

Just to put it into perspective about drivers wages this is not far from me.

It’s like £1.09 more then what the day drivers are on at my place. I can only assume days at Aldi pays around the same as my place for class 1 drivers on days.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Now I’m not being funny here mate, but it sounds like you’re very dismissive of an opportunity to learn the ropes and get to a point where you can be more picky with the work you want to do.

Now to look at the job itself,
The basic rate isn’t amazing, but it does have a proper overtime rate. Which seems rare.

Double manning isn’t everyone’s bag, but look at it this way, you may be paired up with an experienced driver who can share their wisdom with you.

Nights out aren’t as bad as you seem to think, for one you will not be sleeping across the seats. There will be a bunk, 2 if double manning.

Now I do not want you to think that I’m telling you that you’ve made the wrong choice, I just wanted to ensure that your eyes are fully opened.
Good luck for your future.

Chunkzilla:
Now I’m not being funny here mate, but it sounds like you’re very dismissive of an opportunity to learn the ropes and get to a point where you can be more picky with the work you want to do.

The basic rate isn’t amazing, but it does have a proper overtime rate. Which seems rare.

Double manning isn’t everyone’s bag, but look at it this way, you may be paired up with an experienced driver who can share their wisdom with you.

Nights out aren’t as bad as you seem to think, for one you will not be sleeping across the seats. There will be a bunk, 2 if double manning.

Now I do not want you to think that I’m telling you that you’ve made the wrong choice, I just wanted to ensure that your eyes are fully opened.

And he could have been double manned with a smelly unsociable nitwit? He knows his own mind on this so I’d suggest he’s doing what’s right for him.

TiredAndEmotional:

Chunkzilla:

And he could have been double manned with a smelly unsociable nitwit? He knows his own mind on this so I’d suggest he’s doing what’s right for him.

Obviously he doesn’t, that’s why he’s on here asking peoples opinions.

In regards to the OP… With limited experience i’d give everything a try. Could well be the cushiest job you’ll ever have… could be the worst… if you’re currently not working then where’s the harm in having a ‘trial’?

Is it XPO by any chance? I know a little about them if it is…

htfc1984:

TiredAndEmotional:

Chunkzilla:

In regards to the OP… With limited experience i’d give everything a try. Could well be the cushiest job you’ll ever have… could be the worst… if you’re currently not working then where’s the harm in having a ‘trial’?

Its not XPO. Its a double glazing firm so would be transporting frames etc on a curtainsider.

I am uncomfortable with being a passenger now I am a fully qualified class 2 driver. Have been a drivers mate for a large part of my job history so now want to be literally in the driving seat.

Its the hours as well. I do not want to work 15 hours. I prefer to be at home to tuck my little ones in bed every night.

Also the pay is very poor for working at those hours so put me off right away.

I do know my mind but wanted to see other peoples opinions on the matter.

billythewhizz:

htfc1984:

TiredAndEmotional:

Chunkzilla:

Its not XPO. Its a double glazing firm so would be transporting frames etc on a curtainsider.

I am uncomfortable with being a passenger now I am a fully qualified class 2 driver. Have been a drivers mate for a large part of my job history so now want to be literally in the driving seat.

Its the hours as well. I do not want to work 15 hours. I prefer to be at home to tuck my little ones in bed every night.

Also the pay is very poor for working at those hours so put me off right away.

I do know my mind but wanted to see other peoples opinions on the matter.

Well I hope things work out pal.

Like i said me personally I’d take it. If it’s crap. Bin it off. Lesson learnt move on.

Money isn’t great but not many pay overtime rates. Sadly if tucking your little ones up every night is what you want this isn’t a great profession… In fact if you find a job paying more than that advertised where you will be home every night at tea time let me know as I might apply! Harsh reality is this profession is long hours with low(ish) pay BUT there are some great jobs with great pay… Sadly you will be then up against people with alot more experience than you have. Genuinely mean it when I say good luck no sarcasm at all intended.