Would you buy a Tesla out of warranty?

Carryfast:

lancpudn:

adam277:
Tesla make good motors with less moving parts so are more reliable.
That being said… They act like apple with their iPhones acting like only they can repair them.

So no I would not buy a Tesla.
I would consider leasing one though.

I think you’re right about leasing, I read a lot of people are going in that direction because of the high price of electric cars & the anxiety of being stuck with huge repair bills out of warranty.

As opposed to huge and unexpected end of lease mileage and ‘condition’ bills.
The truth is we generally don’t expect a more than 5 years life expectancy from any electrical appliance why should an EV be any different.
In which case the depreciation rate will make the leasing idea unviable like all the rest of this nuke and lithium fuelled utopia.

I actually agree with Carryfast on this point! Christmas miracle?!
My sons do lease vehicles but they are in business and for them it is attractive fiscally. I don’t think employed people benefit as they do.

Season’s Greetings and good health to you all.

Edited to correct foolish typo…

Dipster:

Carryfast:

lancpudn:

adam277:
That being said… They act like apple with their iPhones acting like only they can repair them.

I think you’re right about leasing, I read a lot of people are going in that direction because of the high price of electric cars & the anxiety of being stuck with huge repair bills out of warranty.

The truth is we generally don’t expect a more than 5 years life expectancy from any electrical appliance why should an EV be any different.
In which case the depreciation rate will make the leasing idea unviable like all the rest of this nuke and lithium fuelled utopia.

My sons do lease vehicles but they are in business and for them it is attractive fiscally. I don’t think employed people benefit as they do

Some figures
£4,600 deposit.
£486 per month
4 years contract
8,000 miles per year max.
28k is a lot of money to pay for 32,000 miles.

Mad Max will become real eventually.

news.sky.com/video/finland-man- … l-12503301

I think this is the issue if you own one outright.

Some figures
£4,600 deposit.
£486 per month
4 years contract

Presume this a quote for a lease, what make , model, and what is the OTR cash value ■■?
Tyneside

[/quote]
[/quote]
My sons do lease vehicles but they are in business and for them it is attractive fiscally. I don’t think employed people benefit as they do
[/quote]
Some figures
£4,600 deposit.
£486 per month
4 years contract
[/quote]
Add to this the cost of any “issues” the dealer might find (they usually do I understand) when you hand it back| That adds up too.

Generally speaking if you keep the car in good knick you wont have any issues when you return it assuming you want to ‘upgrade’ to a new model when your lease or PCP deal ends.
Obviously, some dealers are con artists and will try and bend you over. But most dont.
Keep in mind they want to keep you as a customer, so they are likely to overlook a few things if it means you stay with them and get a new car.

This is why I like Enterprise car rental they dont go over the car with a microscope and charge you for damage you did not cause. Unlike many other rental companies. Although they are more expensive then other rental companies.

As for 28k for 32,000 miles.
You will prob be saving £6000 a year in not having to pay for petrol/diesel. Along with car tax etc.
Lack of servicing costs (as the dealer will pay for these if on lease).

I’m not saying it is worth it. Even if you are a HGV driver on 70k a year I would see it as a stupid investment.
But if your a salesman on 100k+ a year I would definitely consider it.

If we compare oranges with oranges*,
From leasing.com
Tesla Model 3… 12k miles pa…48 months…£473
leasing.com/car-leasing/tesla/m … eage=12000

BMW 3 Series**…12k mls…48 months…£467.
leasing.com/independent-brokers … 891321650/

Fuel costs for 28k miles?
insights.leaseplan.co.uk/electr … icle-cost/
Tesla max electric price 5p mile … £1,400
BMW at 50mpg at… £5.50 gal… 560 gal…£3,800

Leasing isn`t good for everyone, but for those who do prefer it, Tesla is no worse than others is it?
I daresay there are both better and worse deals out there.

*Oranges are not the only fruit…but compare leasing new cars for 4 years.
Leasing is not good for all but it is what CF has chosen.
** Yes hybrid, choose any pure petrol model if you can find a comparable one.

adam277:

Why would that make any sense?
If it breaks down, do you think they will accept it back without you having it repaired first?

lancpudn:

adam277:

You don’t understand leasing then.

stu675:

adam277:

If it breaks down, do you think they will accept it back without you having it repaired first?

Your response makes no sense to what I said in regards to the right of repair.

adam277:

stu675:

adam277:

So why would you consider leasing but not purchase?

stu675:

adam277:

stu675:

adam277:

So why would you consider leasing but not purchase?

Personally I wouldnt.
I dont like debt, If I can not afford it I dont have it.

adam277:
I’m not saying it is worth it. Even if you are a HGV driver on 70k a year I would see it as a stupid investment.

If I was on say 100k a year though, which means I could justify spending £400+ month on a car lease I might just for a bit of fun.
So the caveat being I would lease one if I earned enough money to make it sense.
As a HGV driver though, leasing a car is really not that practical even if you are earning quite a lot.

Makes good sense for a travelling salesman though.

Ok I understand, that was in a way you saying if money was no object…
To me it came across as leasing means you don’t have to worry too much about repair costs because you just hand it back.

adam277:

stu675:

adam277:

Repairs by definition will be expensive possibly exceeding the value of the car.
Lease companies aren’t in the business of not passing those costs back to the customer.
Lease rates are also mostly dependent on residual values and that means residual values outside of warranty period.There are very few lease deals which end well within the warranty period and if they do they aren’t cheap because the purchase cost has to be payed off sooner which means a massive up front deposit payment and high monthly rate.
I’d certainly wouldn’t consider leasing anything let alone a Tesla over more than a 2 year agreement.
Although you can bet that the Lease company still won’t reflect the resulting better residual value in the lease rate.But less chance of being hit by unexpected costs and quibbling over damage considered as not being fair wear and tear and other warranty get outs.The costs of which can be eye watering at handback time and Lease Companies like to maximise all the opportunities available to them in that regard.

The whole EV scam is based on ripping off the customer to minimise the risks and maximise the profits of the new EV tech providers and to maximise tax revenues and control for the government.
Hopefully the government will see sense regarding the latter.Because incomes just aren’t there to pay 26p per kwh + road fuel taxes and a nuclear disaster, caused by nuke power generation, would create economic and human carnage in this small area, not that different to nuclear war.Germany at least knows it.

I will tell you my own experience:- currently have a A class Merc petrol, had since it new on a three year lease which expires Sep 2022. Has also a manufacturer three year warranty and been on main dealer service plan since new.
Was contacted by the dealership last month (same salesman I have dealt with since 1997) because of shortages waiting list for new cars was 3 - 6 months but because of this second hand values have shot up and was I thinking of replacing my car??

Asked him to quote me a like for like replacement and the deal is:- hand my car in plus £500.00 (five hundred) deposit, payments remain the same as current car plus approx £10.00 / month for Gap and StarGard Ins which previously had to be purchased seperately. So no massive deposit and payments and I can live with.

Tyneside

tyneside:
I will tell you my own experience:- currently have a A class Merc petrol, had since it new on a three year lease which expires Sep 2022. Has also a manufacturer three year warranty and been on main dealer service plan since new.
Was contacted by the dealership last month (same salesman I have dealt with since 1997) because of shortages waiting list for new cars was 3 - 6 months but because of this second hand values have shot up and was I thinking of replacing my car??

Asked him to quote me a like for like replacement and the deal is:- hand my car in plus £500.00 (five hundred) deposit, payments remain the same as current car plus approx £10.00 / month for Gap and StarGard Ins which previously had to be purchased seperately. So no massive deposit and payments and I can live with.

Tyneside

As opposed to
drive-electric.co.uk/vehicle … es-eqa-amg

£3-4k deposit
£3-400 per month x 48 months
5k miles per year max

The ‘shortage’ of new cars is actually caused by government imposed rationing of ICE car sales leading up to the 2030 cut off and customers who rightly aren’t interested in EV’s.Especially at 26p per kwh + taxes to charge them let alone manufacturers obviously not having confidence in covering maintenance costs.
Let alone residual values at over 5k miles per year use.

Carryfast:

tyneside:

Tyneside

As opposed to
drive-electric.co.uk/vehicle … es-eqa-amg

£3-4k deposit
£3-400 per month x 48 months
5k miles per year max

The ‘shortage’ of new cars is actually caused by government imposed rationing of ICE car sales leading up to the 2030 cut off and customers who rightly aren’t interested in EV’s.Especially at 26p per kwh + taxes to charge them let alone manufacturers obviously not having confidence in covering maintenance costs.
Let alone residual values at over 5k miles per year use.

Main dealer service plan on A class is approx £30 / month and C class is approx £35 / month. Wonder what it would be on the eqa ?
Tyneside

Tbh the way battery tech is progressing atm…buying any ev(warranty or otherwise)would be like buying a personal computer in the eighties.
It’ll be obsolete in a fortnight

tyneside:
Main dealer service plan on A class is approx £30 / month and C class is approx £35 / month. Wonder what it would be on the eqa ?
Tyneside

Seems moot with a lease limited to 5k miles pa max.Why such a low mileage limit.It would be almost unusable to keep it within that.