Would you bother to mention

Dear All,

I was wondering what you would bother to include in your CV for a prospective job and if they do them…application forms

Currently I am trying to understand/work out the other side of the fence, on how I can become truly employable in haulage.

I’ve applied for a small amount of jobs (one’s that seriously interest me in sectors I wish to seriously pursue) now that amounts to about ten in total over the last 18 months. I’m not bothering to do a shotgun approach of everyone as I could see me losing the will to live on my first day of RDC/Trunking…ain’t my bag baby! :smiling_imp: PS My hat is raised to those of you who can and do do that!

From these applications, I heard nothing back from a couple, a few I’ve heard back but they said “thanks but no thanks”, which was nice in this day and current employment market.

The other five I have made interview stage and even a second interview in two circumstances, one of them included a driving assessment. I admit I bullsed up. Ironically I usually have to do that same manoeuvre weekend in, weekend out whilst driving on agency currently!

My background to give you an idea of what employers see on my CV:

I’m a full time engineer with a local company at present with a month long notice period

I’ve been involved in weekend driving for nearly five years now - without breaking the driving hours regulations! :smiley:

Done 4 years permanent Saturday (with some Friday and Sunday cover too) moving newspapers/magazine supplements as a Class 2 driver.

Also done agency and got a role straight away and maintained that placement for a Saturday shift without fail, nothing special multi-drop mainly residential properties in a rigid.

So to give a background of what I am NOT expecting; I am not looking for a chromed up V8 and £45k for a four day shift of 6 hours a day, they don’t exist, though I wish the shifts did! :laughing:

I am realistic to wages in the industry but would prefer Mon-Fri shifts with as few nights out as possible. Completely understand the fact that the wages will be not be extravagant due to that wish list and accept that lower salary accordingly, as I’m still a kind of “newbie”.

However from the interviews with TM’s/Depot managers/Directors and Planner, both in small family and nationwide firms (I don’t mind working for either, though I have more experience in national/international firms. Current employer is in a very small independent firm.)

I have found the most common questions keep cropping up/potentially ruining my chances of getting a job.

Hence my thread name, should I mention any of the below in any further applications.

1. Biggest question why do I want to give up a professional job for driving :unamused:
    Hahahahahahaha, if only they knew the reality of other industries I’d think they’d see why I want to leave it. But you can’t be that negative in an application/interview!
    In reality the job is incredibly long hours with some shifts (not all) working in excess of 18 hours easily on a 6-7 day working week unless on holiday that week. I try not to mention the truth above, just the job is sendentary and its changing in a way that I am no longer interested in it and that I wish to pursue a new career which interests me greatly in haulage.

2. Why don’t I want to use my degree anymore :unamused:
    Sincerely not interested in my degree field, even though it is a technical and professional one, it just doesn’t give me the buzz like I had at university. However to be honest, it didn’t after two years of graduation, hence my completely change to contracting in construction instead. I try to say that in a positive way, in that I have tried it, but it is not for me anymore truthfully.

3. Why do I want to stay on Class 2, when I am training to get my Class 1 in October.
    This one throws me, as that is the mainstay of plant/skip work which relies on rigid lorries. As I want to follow that and the money is ok, why would I be concerned whether I have a trailer on the back? If anything the licence enables them to have some flexibility for certain work they may have to undertake, I would have thought?! :open_mouth:

From all of these, one I get laughed out of the office and they were not interested - Never heard from again - Skips
Another was in general haulage - flatbed - with the possiblity of HIAB and Moffet training, impressed in the interviews but messed up the assessment drive - So was another thanks but no thanks.
Another was in general haulage - curtainsiders - impressed in the interviews but again someone more experienced came along on the final hour.
Two were in plant hire firms - Lost one because another driver came in with a HIAB ticket, fair enough. The other very recent one was because the other candidate was more experienced, even though I was told I was the only candidate to start?! :open_mouth: :unamused:

Based on the above and the stumbling blocks, should I drop the fact that I have a degree from the CV and try to forget the three years I was out of that employment history, as it was 10 years ago that I graduated!

In essence to get a chance to drive full time now, should I jack in the engineering that I am doing now. Go full commital to agency driving for a year (maybe longer if its as good as the weekend work currently) say and then approach companies for full time work again, having some more valid experience for them? Maybe the month’s notice I have to give throws everyone off, so maybe the agency work route may help me with that side of things too, as I understand that lorries can’t stand forever.

From the above interviews, in three of those, we knew the lorries had been standing idle for over a month before I came on the scene with my CV/application/interview!!! :neutral_face:

I am currently training for my Class 1, FLT, HIAB and Moffett over the next six - ten months (which should get my DCPC out of the way) to see if that will make me more employable.

Can’t think of any more things I can do now to make me more employable to date, so wondering what are employers really looking for in their drivers?

As at the moment when I get a chance to ask for feedback, I’m being told over the phone that I am coming across excellent in my interviews and as a person etc but I’ve either been replaced by people with a ticket or more experience. Yet on initial contact by the company to me they said they were not looking for these things?! :confused:

Thanks for reading and any help you can advise, what employers are really looking for.

C

Edits - To Try and make it more concise - easier to read!!!

Sounds like your driving is letting you down in the assessments mate. You have your licence so drive like you know you can.

Cheers Summerley82,

Only had one (out of the ten interviews) and bullsed that up closing the door on a cyclist at traffic lights. Posted about it on here, annoyed me, as I’ve had to do it so much in London when on the agency with no problems!!!

And this assessment was carried out in the sticks in a small town! :unamused: Typical!

C

Not hearing from skip firms isn’t surprising. When out of work I cv’d 3 and 3 never replied. Then again, do skip drivers look like they’d have impressive cv’s?

Possibly drop the degree part-management will think you’re after their jobs. Plant hire firms can be a strange bunch. Quickly send you a form then you may not hear anything until a job appears, or they’ll call straight back as my new employer did.

Last assessment I had was out of the blue with the owner of the company with me in the cab, I just got on with it and talked to him, bit like c+e test I suppose. On the assessment they want to see your safe, simple as that.

Hi Buddy, we have not spoke for a while PM to you :wink:

Firstly good on you for having the gonads to try something else!

Secondly, if you get to the driving stage again just drive like on test and use your mirrors excessively - it seems to please them and if in doubt don’t do the manouvere until its safe and your ready!

Thirdly (and your biggest obstacle IMHO) you frighten them because of your qualifications! You are potentially brighter than them and therefore could pose a threat to them too and challenge for their role or job?! You would be surprised by this but it does happen.

Finally, don’t give up if its what you really want but I would stick with what you’ve got and work through whatever it is that’s irking you! At least you can drive when it suits YOU and thats the real difference - you don’t have to if you stay as you are. You know it makes sense.

Bloody hell - I sound like your Dad!

I don’t really see how you can really be ‘overqualified’ for this or any job. Your other qualifications are just irrelevant to the job for which you have applied. As has been said the interviewer has taken fright, probably knowing that you are more intelligent than he is. This is normally plain from the standard of grammar and spelling when (if) you receive a refusal letter.

I think you will just have to continue mentioning your degree, because failure to mention it could be used to get rid of you at a later date.

Never trust a word said until you’ve got the job and your second payslip, correcting the errors on the first one.

I don’t wish to be rude, but I got about one-quarter of the way through the original post before giving up reading any further. Reasons being, one, it’s too long, second, I didn’t understand a word. So if your CV is anything like this, it will be binned. Keep it short, simple, and to the point.

maybe they feel your over qualified i had an interview last week and to be fair half way through i was regreting even turning up it was oviouse me and he would not get on but he ended by saying you have had x amount of jobs do you feel you have comitment issues so i replyed not at all i have never taken a position i felt wasent suitable even as a stop gap but unfortunatly companys dont always honour what they promise hence i move on , i supose its like employing a driver who dosent deliver what they promised at interview dont think he liked that very much

fredthered:
Firstly good on you for having the gonads to try something else!

Secondly, if you get to the driving stage again just drive like on test and use your mirrors excessively - it seems to please them and if in doubt don’t do the manouvere until its safe and your ready!

Thirdly (and your biggest obstacle IMHO) you frighten them because of your qualifications! You are potentially brighter than them and therefore could pose a threat to them too and challenge for their role or job?! You would be surprised by this but it does happen.

Finally, don’t give up if its what you really want but I would stick with what you’ve got and work through whatever it is that’s irking you! At least you can drive when it suits YOU and thats the real difference - you don’t have to if you stay as you are. You know it makes sense.

Bloody hell - I sound like your Dad!

This^^^

Unfortunately you’re overqualified to be a driver, and as fred says, they can’t quite adjust to the fact you are far better qualified than they are. They are used to thinking of drivers as thick ■■■■■ that they can treat like ■■■■■ and will really struggle with one that can tie them up in knots…

Quite a few drivers have degrees and I simply don’t mention it when working. However, I only work as a S/E driver and have no desire to be a full timer - the way I see it as a full timer unless you’re very lucky with the firm you work for, they can shaft you when they want and there’s ■■■■ all you can do except get on with it. As a S/E driver you have the option of walking away.

However, that doesn’t help you much! I think fred’s advice is sound. Don’t give up your current job as after Xmas it may well go very quiet…or not, who knows? If driving is REALLY what you want then stick at it. From the sound of it you’ve done a fair bit of driving but full time would be very different from what you’re used to.

Best of luck with it! :slight_smile:

Bakers usually keep the stock flour in a flour loft,which id in most cases up stairs.

Cosmic:
I don’t wish to be rude, but I got about one-quarter of the way through the original post before giving up reading any further. Reasons being, one, it’s too long, second, I didn’t understand a word. So if your CV is anything like this, it will be binned. Keep it short, simple, and to the point.

This isn’t a CV, he was trying to explain his current situation. If you didn’t understand it, I suggest a course in basic English to assist you in future.

Short and simple hmmm… A lot of TM’s are certainly one of those in my experience… :grimacing:

alamcculloch:
Bakers usually keep the stock flour in a flour loft,which id in most cases up stairs.

I’m sure that’s helped him no end! No wonder people are avoiding this site when tripe like that is a reply.

I would’nt even mention the degree, if I was employing a driver with a degree, first thought would be " looking for a stop gap, so not worth all the admin’ to employ him, he’ll be down the road in a couple of weeks" :unamused:

Just keep your head screwed on when taking assesments, take your time & drive like a complete ■■■■■ & make sure you do your checks 1st (shows you know what you are doing) :wink:

Agency work is sporadic, one day you will start at 06.00 the next it will be a 22.00 night shift, the following day there won’t be any work until saturday or sunday, where they will probably try to pay you the standard rate !
I did a few weeks on the Agency 15 years ago & again a couple of years ago & it hadn’t changed much, apart from the introduction of ‘RIP OFF’ Umbrella companies. (if you do go agency, stay on PAYE, that way they ‘Should’ keep you busy ! & phone them EVERY day, to make sure you have got work for the next day or you will just be somewhere in the list to ring/or not ! W -A -N -K -E -R -S ! :imp: )

The class one will open more doors for you, but its catch 22/Experience ! You might need to start somewhere that struggles to get drivers, low pay or crap hours, that will give you a start, even then, always keep to the rules, they might try to push you over your driving hours or your 15 hour spread or load 20 tons of marbles on a flat bed :confused: - its your licence & they don’t loose it if you get caught (although they might have some explaining to do !)

Perseverance is the key (hope I spelt that right !) keep at it- something will come your way soon. :wink:

Cheers Gents for the responses,

Muckaway:
Not hearing from skip firms isn’t surprising. When out of work I cv’d 3 and 3 never replied. Then again, do skip drivers look like they’d have impressive cv’s?

Muckaway that did make me laugh, but I’d thought I’d give it a try as I didn’t want to be snobby. And they must get involved in some interesting maneourves! :laughing:

C

Hey Fredthered,

Thanks bud about the gonads, been trying this last year and a half, but I won’t rush into just any job. I have to think it will interest me first and then apply. Not being snobbish, as I was interested in the skips and even possibility of RORO’s :blush:

The other companies haven’t even been concerned with an assessment drive, they just need a driver to get going :open_mouth: So most I would’ve been just thrown the keys if I passed the interview. As in whilst being trained by someone they’d most probably pass comment on my driving! And I learnt recently don’t move when you are not happy to my own demise! :wink:

Third comment has shocked me, as surely if I wanted that I’d go do my proper CPC etc and work my way into a office etc. Don’t interest me, tried office work for 2 years nearly killed me and the office :laughing:

As Cav551 said though forgetting the degree nearly got me in trouble at TNT/Menzies, luckily I was in my final year of working there (me and them didn’t know that at the time) and they knew by then what I actually was looking for in employment with them.

The irking has been bothering me for 3 years now and hasn’t changed so I don’t think it will change or I can work through it to change in my current occupation - it’s over until I finally decide to quit for real. A couple on here know the true horrors and can’t see why I carry on with it (mental and marital as well!), but I do, because I don’t usually quit easily…fool! However I would like to try and establish myself seriously in driving as I do enjoy the agency ■■■■ that was thrown at me!

I think my Dad did try this one, did you get his recycled script! :laughing:

Thanks for the advice and time taken it really has pointed me in the right direction to think what I am putting down and be contiuiously prepared for these questions.

C

Hey cav551,

cav551:
I don’t really see how you can really be ‘overqualified’ for this or any job. Your other qualifications are just irrelevant to the job for which you have applied.

Thanks for your input bud, it is really appreciated taking the time to help me out. ^^^THIS^^^ me and my wife don’t understand it either as it doesn’t matter does it in all seriousness/reality. I’m only having to put it so I can account for the 3 years I was at uni, instead of them thinking, hmmm what did he do here, a stretch in jail etc, etc! :open_mouth:

Surely if I have the licence and they like the sound of me and want to train in their ways, then I’ll tow the line and do the work! :unamused:

As has been said the interviewer has taken fright, probably knowing that you are more intelligent than he is. This is normally plain from the standard of grammar and spelling when (if) you receive a refusal letter.

Another thing my wife laughs at is these! I’m not good at English, like her, so if it kind of gets the point across then I let those things slide, but I do understand what you mean. I like to have a snippet reading at the memos, whilst waiting, that’s where you can tell what’s happening with the English lessons. :laughing:

I think you will just have to continue mentioning your degree, because failure to mention it could be used to get rid of you at a later date.

Learnt this with TNT/Menzies towards the end of my 4th year, luckily by then, people knew what I was there for and what I enjoyed doing etc, so nothing more was said.

Never trust a word said until you’ve got the job and your second payslip, correcting the errors on the first one

I’ll bear this in mind, done it with every company outside haulage, they are not much more different outside of this industry either I am afraid! :unamused:

C

Cosmic:

Sorry it wasn’t concise enough for you Cosmic, there was some variables I wanted to include to show I am entering this industry with my eyes open and not completely wet behind the ears! Tried to make it as concise and as short as possible, but I foresaw some of the queries that would come out so I tried to close them down before they were posted.

I’m a 100% honest about English not being my strong point and never has been. Didn’t get taught right at school unfortunately. However my maths is pretty ■■■■ hot though :laughing:

CV is just under two pages long and all related to driving. The only thing related to outside of haulage is my education history to cover the 3 years I went missing from employment and of course my current employer for a reference. Otherwise we don’t talk about the other world! So I think I’ve got that covered. To keep getting a few companies, I’ve chosen to call me rather than vice versa, is proving the CV is working to me, I just can’t seem to close the deal on the second interview.

By the way, why do they have second interviews? Never had them in a management type roles before, so why are the neccessary for a driving role?! :confused:

C

I am not looking for a chromed up V8 and £45k for a four day shift of 6 hours a day

■■■■, I was going to put your name forward for our new one :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Could have sworn you’d have been interested.

Sadly still waiting for it myself.