Would VOSA be happy with my tacho? :(

hi all

to cut a long story short,

basically did a local run this morning, which is done in 2 halfs, you go out come back reload then go out again, ive done it before but today went a bit erm…pear shaped with my tacho :cry: :cry: :blush: :blush:

came back into yard and had been told i would be going out in a different truck, so unloaded filled in my tacho with end milage etc, then went and found tm and then found out infact i was to use the same truck i had just used and had to load my self,

so…i wasnt sure what todo as had i know this in advance would not of taken tacho out,

so i started a new tacho when i jumped back in the truck i had just had, i put a line on the back to show “other work” to account for the 15 mins of lost time as far as tacho records show :exclamation:

i had had a 15 mins break on my first run and had 45 mins driving left, so on second run i had a 30 min break after i had done 40 mins driving. then carried on as norma.

so my question is

have i done correct :question: i did not know what else todo, suppose i could of instered the same tacho but would of had to scrub out the end mileage and messed the tacho up,

what i see if i get a pull and they inspect tachos everything will match up just its spread over 2 tachos’s and the 15 mins missing between me leaving the truck and getting back in i did a manual entry on the back so i cant see what would not check out :confused:

hope this makes sense and just looking for some re-assurance,

I would have used the same tacho and just do a manual entry on back for the 15 mins as you did but then on the back of it I would just put a note saying same vehicle used as front but mileage continued on back.
If I used two card then I would just put 1 of 2 on first and 2 of 2 on second.

I don’t think there would be a problem either way as all the duties have been recorded on the apropriate equipment

You could have used the same card but as you say it mucks the totals up or looks as bad as a poor fiddle.

Remember that before we regularly had the trucks that used different tachos, the Veeder Root card had 3 holes in it while the other was pear shaped

It wasn’t a problem then to use two cards, so I dont see why it would be now

If it had been me I would have used the same chart but not changed the mileage, instead I would have started again with the time, start mileage and reg in the second vehicle position on the chart just as you should when changing vehicles :wink:
Even though it’s the same vehicle I think this would be the most logical and acceptable option, you were definitely right not to mess up the mileage that you’d already completed imo.

Having said that it’s too late to change what you’ve done now so I suggest you write an explanation on the back of the charts, I doubt you’d get more than some friendly advise if you get stopped so don’t worry about it :wink:

You probably already know the next bit but I’ll say it anyway just in case anyone else isn’t sure what to do when changing vehicles :wink:

When changing vehicles the best option is to use the same chart and fill in the details for the second vehicle and the time of the changeover in the spaces provided on the back of the chart, also remembering of course to do a manual entry for any time the chart was out of a vehicle.

I agree with tachograph and his solution. Using two cards in this situation is likelt to be frowned upon but if you have written an explanation more likely to be a lecture then a fine.

Coffeeholic:
I agree with tachograph and his solution. Using two cards in this situation is likelt to be frowned upon but if you have written an explanation more likely to be a lecture then a fine.

The bit I have never really got my head round is the lack of start and finish place on the reverse. Should we leave the finish place blank till the end of the shift, or is it ok to finish off with your first vehicle and then forget with the reverse.

Wheel Nut:
The bit I have never really got my head round is the lack of start and finish place on the reverse. Should we leave the finish place blank till the end of the shift, or is it ok to finish off with your first vehicle and then forget with the reverse.

Blank until end of the shift. It is the place you finish the shift not the place you finish with the vehicle, although they usually are the same.

well i have done all that i can do, i have wrote on the back why i used 2 tacho’s i have accounted for the missing 17 mins with a manual line on the back of the tacho, the mileage all matches up.

so dont know what else i can do, i cant see how they could see it as some dodgey fiddle which is my concern :exclamation: :confused:

Cruise Control:
i cant see how they could see it as some dodgey fiddle which is my concern :exclamation: :confused:

Nor can I as all the time spent at work has been recorded albeit in two bits - no more than what would happened if a driver used a digi and an analogue in one day.

ROG:

Cruise Control:
i cant see how they could see it as some dodgey fiddle which is my concern :exclamation: :confused:

Nor can I as all the time spent at work has been recorded albeit in two bits - no more than what would happened if a driver used a digi and an analogue in one day.

That’s different, as is driving more than one analogue equipped vehicles which take different charts in the same day, you have to use two different records to record your full day. In this case there was no need to use two charts and it should all have been recorded on one chart. There was a lot about this a while back with VOSA stressing one record should be used per day except when unavoidable. I also seem to remember a case where a driver was prosecuted for it, it was discussed on here at the time. Given the steps CC has taken in this case it would be more likely education than prosecution although I wouldn’t recommend going over the water with those charts, that could be expensive.

i worked for a truck rental firm and at time my tacho would be in and out of the same truck several times in a day as i never know what truck i was driving we would still have to use the same chart until the back was full and than use a new one. some day i would have as many as 3 charts for that day and digital card readings

when you change trucks dont you use the same card and mark it on the back of the chart the change over and mileage on the back, thats what i have been told and im doing my training now

Big Brummie Macca:
when you change trucks dont you use the same card and mark it on the back of the chart the change over and mileage on the back, thats what i have been told and im doing my training now

Yes, but there is only space for a limited number of changes.

ROG:

Big Brummie Macca:

Yes, but there is only space for a limited number of changes.

And as Del said when they have all been used you use a different chart, up to that point you use the same chart provided it is the correct type of chart for the vehicle, check the ‘e’ number.