Would the supermarket drivers get their hands dirty?

Nuh that’s what Isotrak is for lol

When did you see ‘Any’ Driver do this■■? Times have moved on.

Deepinvet:

I saw a driver doing that about 3 weeks ago. How far have times moved on in three weeks? :wink:

It’s something you see more than you would think.

Changing a light bulb is all we are expected to do at my company and some drivers even won’t do that.

Coffeeholic:

Deepinvet:

I saw a driver doing that about 3 weeks ago. How far have times moved on in three weeks? :wink:

It’s something you see more than you would think.

Saw a Romanian driver in Cherwell Valley services in the other week with his cab tilted and tools out working on his unit.

I would, and have done in the past when needed, but these won’t let us do it they don’t like us changing anything more than side light bulbs, we don’t even do headlight bulbs :unamused: and no we aren’t shopping trollies :smiley:

I got called out to Oxford services to deliver a turbo to a polish driver to fit himself

Steve

I’d be more than happy, if it were allowed! out of the proably 6 companies I’ve worked for this month with the agency, only two have allowed any “driver maintenance” and that is the changing of bulbs only, and certain bulbs at that.
Forms have to be filled in upon changing of said bulbs, old bulbs must be brought back entirely intact with the form completed, if this isn’t possible then a fitter must be called out, or the vehicle brought back to the depot.

Its bordering on ridiculous.

I remember last year at Celcons an owner driver turning up in a ageing Volvo FL7 eight wheeler and breaking down, spent the rest of the day repairing it with the cab propped up by lifting it with the hiab and some straps :open_mouth:

We’re allowed to do light maintenance if need be but any mechanical stuff is left to the fitters

Been under the truck today in a layby :stuck_out_tongue: , the jubilee clip on the intercooler pipe broke resulting in a deafening howl, after 20 miles we decided something had to be done as our hearing was in danger of being permanently damaged :confused: . Four zip ties later we were on our way in relative silence :grimacing: :sunglasses:

Bypassed a turbo before now just to get home

A week or two back my beavertail ramps were barely moving so I decided to remove the electric pump and tank from underneath the body, this involved cutting the toolbox off to gain access so that the tank could come out. The tank looked like it was full of ■■■■, so that got emptied, cleaned and refilled with fresh hydraulic and reassembled.

Job done.

When I had my Scania 112 in 1999 the range change solenoid went dickey.
Sometimes worked, sometimes not.
Often had to get out and get under to give it a clonk with a hammer at a roundabout or junction to get into low so could pull away loaded.
Got swopped with the identical diff lock one the following weekend. :wink:

had the clutch go bang on my old CF85 6 wheeler in irvine a few years back and ended up helping our fitter do a clutch change in the customers yard, as our garage manager reckoned it was cheaper to send the fitter up to fit a new clutch that the recovery fee back down to wolverhampton

Was with a colleague in Germany last year, who’s van had broken down. (We couldn’t fix it!)
Even Mercedes took 2 days to solve it! Anyway, whilst at the service area we had stopped at. A Latvian guy had the head off his Iveco 7.5t and was waiting for a replacement to be delivered! I know this as he spoke English very well. I hate changing even bulbs.

When I started with Exhell I went into the office and told them there was no spare wheel on the truck. We didn’t do a thing on those trucks it was all down to the fitters. With a couple of exceptions it’s been that way ever since. The only exceptions I see to that is the foreign drivers.

Granted there’s not a lot of self-maintenance down nowadays, but why pick on poor trolly dollys? :frowning:

I think TD’s (and I’ve been one of 'em) are a bit unfairly used as a lazy ‘shorthand’ for describing numpties… rant over :smiley:

My toolkit used to be a lump hammer and a 10p piece. If the lump hammer didn’t fix it, I used the 10p piece to phone a fitter :sunglasses:

The Sarge:
My toolkit used to be a lump hammer and a 10p piece. If the lump hammer didn’t fix it, I used the 10p piece to phone a fitter :sunglasses:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: