Would i have been legal?

I was moving a couple of containers today from one of our customers back to our depot, i stayed within our industrial estate but the question for all you part time legal eagles is. If i put some marker boards and lights on the tail what ,if any laws would i be breaking ? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Iā€™ve a good idea what plod would say but any comments you guyā€™s have will be welcome. serious or not :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: .

Too long an overhang,even with markers.

Ken.

Just tie a hi viz jacket to the back of it! :laughing:

As far as i can see you would technically need marker lights along it maybe? But for sure iā€™m certain you would need either an 'underrun ā€™ bar , possiblyside ones as well? Iā€™m sure there is a limit for a overhang whereby you would put triangular markers on the back with an amber flashing beacon. That looks like its gone over it. Iā€™m just guessing really though.

ā€œThe truck shrank in the wash officerā€

:wink: :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: I cant see the problem :open_mouth:

jusy get a pole to drive it. he can plead ignorance to our laws then! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Giblsa:
jusy get a pole to drive it. he can plead ignorance to our laws then! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

As the BBC would be obliged to say to avoid plugging any particular brand: ā€œother EU nationals are also availableā€ :wink:

does my rear end look big in this no love it looks fine result ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– 
real answer it looks huge no ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– 
which answer do you give :smiley: :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

If someone had asked me to drive that, they would have got 2 wordsā€¦!!!
I wouldnā€™t have taken that out of the gate, let alone round an estate!
How the hell did the front end stay on the ground?!?!?!

I donā€™t know for sure on this so donā€™t quote me, but I think the overhang allowed on flatbed rigids is 6ft and it has to be marked with red and white warning triangles on the corners, and a light board.

Iā€™ve thought about posting before about these 8 leggers that carry portacabins,this is an extreme version of the same.
Even with the portacabins Iā€™ve mentioned,they MAY be legal as to the rear overhang,but when you see that the centreline of the load is over or even behind the centre line if the rear suspension,it MUST make the truck light on the handle bars.
I would think that this example is neither legal or safe!.
With the portacabins,while they may be legal,safe?You wouldnā€™t get me driving one,especially in the wet!
In the pic,the rear stabiliser legs are down.what happened when they were raised?

If someone had asked me to drive that, they would have got 2 wordsā€¦!!!

Certainly Boss :question: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bestbooties,

as long as overhangs etc. are legal(most also have a slider fitted) weight over axles wonā€™t be a problem. Cabins are light anyway and so overloading of twin axles shouldnā€™t happen. Also although its obviously a joke the truck shows that most have hiabs fitted very near the front axle that will more than compensate for any weight on the rear as far as light steering is concerned. Infact some units I have seen should have been 8 leggers not six as the Hiab installed was damned close to overloading the front axle(in some cases overweight, so extensions are removed prior to the test to keep the weight legal) Not saying I advocate the practice just saying it goes on. :wink:

Hi guyā€™s.

Bestbooties saysā€¦

In the pic,the rear stabiliser legs are down.what happened when they were raised?

well hereā€™s the answer.
Believe it or not the overhang made very little impression on the steering,the front two axles on the vehicle are rated at 7.5 ton each and when the vehicle is sitting empty the load on the axles is 6.9 ton each therefore plenty weight to hold it down at the front.
The pictures are a bit a joke in that even thought i did move the containers within the estate i would never have taken the truck on to the road.
Can you imagine all the little joe publicā€™s trying to work out what the [zb]s going on when i turn right and the tailend swing on that load goes 20ft in the other direction. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Censor dodge removed. Go read the rules. L.

You asked what the offence would be if you took that out on the roadā€¦plod would most likely do you for ā€œusing a vehicle in a dangerous conditionā€ or ā€œendangering other road usersā€, the latter being the most serious and could get you arrested. Yes really.

Iā€™m glad you didnā€™t drive that on the public roadsā€¦that would have been very silly :unamused:

If you get stopped, you can always bang it in reverse and take the roof clean of the cozzer car :smiley:

say you didnā€™t see them

For the ovenhang ā€œ3.05 metres then the police must be notified and a attendant must be carried and side and end marker boards must be displayedā€

Hope this helps?

Good thing you don`t go far :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

From what I remember from my CPC (1985) was that the maximum overhang had to be less than a third of the length of the truck, or was that the body? :confused:
I am sure I will be corrected. :smiley:

The heaviest end is on the truck so it should balance out

you bits of kids donā€™t no the meaning of the word overhang. back in my day if we had overhang in dover the french got worried. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: