Would a British driver get away with this in Germany?

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-22483014

He’ll be convicted in his absence, sentenced, then a European arrest warrant will be issued.
His solicitor is doing a good job, He probably knows the cps lawyer is a bit wet behind the ears.
The deal the defence solicitor was probably trying to get was a serious charge to be dropped and he’ll get the driver to plead guilty to a lesser charge. But it dosn’t look like it worked.

In my experience as a former international driver He would not have been allowed to leave germany before the court hearing, but this was in the days before the EEC.

At the time of the crash on Brassknocker Hill, the weight limit of 7.5T was for lorries only. As the reports mention he was driving a bus (single deck Merc band bus) I wonder which weight limit they want to prosecute him over?

Most likely a case of blindly following the sat nav whilst en route from Bristol to Southampton.

Some temporary or homemade? “No PSV” signs were stuck on the posts at the top of the road using tie wraps but I can’t see them being legal.

When you consider the money these legal exerts are paid it makes you wonder how they can make the mistakes that they do. Who advised them to serve papers on him in Germany if that would not be enforceable ? I bet all involved will still get paid handsomely :smiley:

this pilot got away with it…
bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-22487205

Trukkertone:

No he didn’t he was found guilty and failed to attend court for sentencing, he was sentenced to 3 years in his absence and is now on the run.

Trukkertone:

Bloody hell!!! :laughing: :laughing:

I wonder if there is regular posters on here who arnt in fact real truck drivers… :laughing:

i got fined 90euro in germany for driving a van with a car trailer on a sunday in germany,they took all my details and about 6months after i got a letter to my home in the uk asking for another 9euro for the vat the police had failed to charge me!!! if i didnt pay they would register it against my passport and if i was stopped again in germany i would be arrested for non payment of a fine,thats how efficiant they are at collecting fines from foreign drivers.

strongbowpeter:
i got fined 90euro in germany for driving a van with a car trailer on a sunday in germany,they took all my details and about 6months after i got a letter to my home in the uk asking for another 9euro for the vat the police had failed to charge me!!! if i didnt pay they would register it against my passport and if i was stopped again in germany i would be arrested for non payment of a fine,thats how efficiant they are at collecting fines from foreign drivers.

We had a lorry stopped for none payment of the maut. The none payment was from 12 months ago, the lorry they stopped was not the same one that didn’t pay the maut, and it was a different driver. He had to pay the fine because the lorry belonged to the same firm.