Wot size inverter

to run a 500 watt microwave in truck.

any advice, the boss has got me one but isnt sure wot size inverter to buy…

thanx in advance. :wink:

There will be a label on it somewhere giving the actual power draw, it will be more that 500 watts for sure. The one in our kitchen, for instance, is a 900 watt model but has a power input requirement of 1400 watts. You will need an inverter of greater wattage than that stated on the label.

Whatever you do don’t plug the inverter into an accessory or cigarette lighter socket, it will need wiring directly to the battery and protecting by an appropriate fuse.

Coffeeholic:
Whatever you do don’t plug the inverter into an accessory or cigarette lighter socket, it will need wiring directly to the battery and protecting by an appropriate fuse.

Tsk, what did you tell him that for?

Coffeeholic:

I am now all ears Neil. Please elaborate :laughing:.

I ordered one off eBay for a friend to use in his Volvo FM9. The instructions said to wire it directly to the battery, but he thought that was a little too inconvenient so he got a workmate to wire a plug onto it so he could plug it into the ciggie lighter.

After it blew a rake of fuses, he wired it directly to the battery and has had no problems since.

Safest bet is to follow the manufacturers instructions - if only to keep the guarantee valid.

Liberace:

Coffeeholic:

Could be any result from a few blown fuses, to a smell of melting plastic as the loom and/or dashboard begins to melt, to smoke and flames. :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:

Liberace:

Coffeeholic:

Could be any result from a few blown fuses, to a smell of melting plastic as the loom and/or dashboard begins to melt, to smoke and flames. :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Funnily enough, it’s residing at Ryder this weekend with “electrical problems.” :laughing:. I do find my 300w’s enough to run a slow cooker on, along with a very cold fridge (ie freezer), it gives you good low fat grub on the move. Oxtail stew anyone?