Worth me doing lgv?

I left the army just undera year ago. Ended up getting medically discharged after I had a climbing accident. Overall in okay health now. Certainly no problems driving.

Thing is… When I hit divvy street I realised that I couldn’t get any sort of decent job. So have signed myself up to an open uni course to get a degree. However I need some cash to earn for the next few years.

Now the thing is… Before I got hurt i was going to do my Hgv with the army. I’ve already done the midicalvpart and have a provisional.

So as a 25 year old, would there be enough agency work for me to clear 200 quid a week in the south? Thinking Southampton area. I know it’s an open question… But really I need to know if the work is there.

Also I don’t want to drive long term. I just need something to pay for my rent. I’ve got the cash for the course… But I don’t wanna throw it down the drain.

I would hope you could earn that without too much trouble.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I’m a newbie looking to do my HGV licences (In Southampton), and from my research the answer is probably yes.

The feedback I’ve had is that there is work for new INEXPERIENCED drivers at present, and the rate is hopefully/probably £9+ an hour. However, if you have other commitments as well and can’t do a full weeks worth of shifts, the agencies may put you at the bottom of the pile. But don’t quote me on that!

Thanks guys.

The reason I asked is cos my uncle said no company will take someone on without 2 years experience. He drives tankers and earns loads (£40k plus). However he said that no one will give a new person any work. I was thinking that if I went out to agencies then they might give me a shot.

Also because of when I did my medical and got my provisional for lgv it might look like I’ve had my lisence longer? I know for my car licence is shows I’ve had it since I got my provisional which was a year before I passed. Not saying I’d lie - but sometimes getting your foot in a door needs it.

Really I only thought agency as then I could maybe drive 3/4 days a week and study the rest of the time.

lgv-training.biz/ are doing it for less than £2k all in. Does anyone have any experience of them?

Hi Sammy,

Do you know about DCPC? As YOU must have past your driving test after 1997. So you will need to do this training before you can drive for reward. (As well as getting your licences).

So your 2K budget isn’t that realistic, and also assumes you will pass first time. It’s probably more like 2.5+K to get a class 1 licence.

I’m not trying to put you off, but for a fill in job to support you through your degree, there are other things that you could do that don’t require this outlay (especially if it’s just temporary while you go through uni). I’ve been through Uni (Mech Eng), and ok it was a full time course, but your not going to have as much free time as you think if you want good grades. It’s more like damage limitation and focusing your efforts on where the marks are and letting the rest fall by the wayside. As well as this, if your not available when the agency call you, do you thing your going to be on the top of their list next time?

Think very carefully before you shell out this cash, do your sums/research and above all be realistic. You may just be better of doing something more flexible/guaranteed and using that cash to support you through uni.

Best of luck

Alan

Thanks mate - I did know about the cpc. So I’m covered there.

I know the 2k was probably a bit optimistic. I just wondered if anyone knew is that firm were any good? Luckily I got a payout when I left the army so I’m not struggling too much financially - however I don’t want to see that pot of cash go down and down.

Overall my course is only part time meant to fit around work. And I thought once I had the license I would always be able to get some work if I was ever struggling.

Also although Im doing a degree with the open university - in reality I’m not really sure if it will get me a job after. I don’t know how companies will look at it compared to someone with a degree from a normal uni.

I know nothing about this firm (as yet) or if their training counts towards the 35 hours of CPC training. (Depends on their accreditation from what I understand)

Instead I was looking at By Pass training in fair Oak by-pass.co.uk/ as my benchmark, and have been recommended on this forum. To be honest, i’m still doing my initial research, and because of an impending house move, not taken any real steps yet. (I also don’t rush into things). So can’t compare the 2 companies. But my advice is that if Trailer Training looks like a bargain in comparison, ask yourself why? Also don’t rule out a residential course from one of the trainers on this forum like Peter Smythe, as no one who has a reputation on here is going to risk damaging it by ripping you off or providing poor service. (When I take the plunge he’s on my list of serious contenders, just not sure about the retest and travelling again if I fail!)

As for your degree - What you doing? Have you researched the market for jobs, demand and openings in the industry? Have you called a perspective employer and asked them if your open university degree is worth anything? Do your research!!! (God I feel old! LOL)

Best of luck

You make some good points mate. I need to really get off my backside and actually do some propper research.

My course is for a degree in physics. Again - I picked that cos I was interested in it. So we shall see. Thanks again.

Check out the link in my signature below

I recommend to have £3K handy to go from car to C+E

some insurers insist that a driver has HELD the category on their licence for X amount of time but plenty of others are willing to take on newbies especially those who put themselves out by perhaps knocking on their door and having all the kit handy to start right away

Early morning, especially Mondays, are a good time to go hunting

sammym:
You make some good points mate. I need to really get off my backside and actually do some propper research.

My course is for a degree in physics. Again - I picked that cos I was interested in it. So we shall see. Thanks again.

Physics? Well I hope you are very strong in Mathematics, Calculus and Dynamics. You are basically probably signing up for an applied Maths degree! I agree you should do something you’re interested in, just make sure the reality of what you think your signing up to is what your expecting. I.E. find a forum of people who have done your prospective course and ask them about their experiences.

I agree with ROG, if you still want to do your LGV licences, assume it will cost 3k and if/when it costs less, then that’s a bonus! :smiley:

Good luck pal

Thanks bizzle. Without wanting to go into all the boring details I got some courses counted towards it and have been put straight onto the 2nd year of the course. Infact they gave me credit for half the course meaning I don’t need to do those exams. So far I’ve been averaging low 90%s in my coursework, so am hoping for a first. I’ll just have to wait and see on that one.

I have decided to go for the lgv though. I can’t see myself working as a cleaner or a bar man for the next couple of years. And with some agency driving even for a few days a week I could pay the bills. I’m currently working as a delivery driver for an Indian. I like driving on my own, and it lets me take my head of things.

So thanks for the advice guys. Ive booked the theory and hazard perception for next week now so I better get studying. Going to call peter smythe on Monday and see when they can book me in for class 2.

Evil8Beezle:
I’m a newbie looking to do my HGV licences (In Southampton), and from my research the answer is probably yes.

The feedback I’ve had is that there is work for new INEXPERIENCED drivers at present, and the rate is hopefully/probably £9+ an hour. However, if you have other commitments as well and can’t do a full weeks worth of shifts, the agencies may put you at the bottom of the pile. But don’t quote me on that!

Not sure if you have any trainer in mind mate but I’m in southampton I done my training 9 years ago with bypass. My boss done his 30 years ago with them there a good bunch of blokes straight as a die decent kit to learn in and really easy to get on with. I still get a flash and a wave from Steve who taught me now top bloke and a good trainer. If your sorted not to worry but I would massively recommend them I’m not sure if there cheap or expensive and your bound to get cheaper from a rip off broker but I’m confident you’ll get your money’s worth with them.

Karl86:

Evil8Beezle:

Not sure if you have any trainer in mind mate but I’m in southampton I done my training 9 years ago with bypass. My boss done his 30 years ago with them there a good bunch of blokes straight as a die decent kit to learn in and really easy to get on with. I still get a flash and a wave from Steve who taught me now top bloke and a good trainer. If your sorted not to worry but I would massively recommend them I’m not sure if there cheap or expensive and your bound to get cheaper from a rip off broker but I’m confident you’ll get your money’s worth with them.

Thanks mate - I’ve spoken to Pete on here and his offer is pretty hard to beat. I won’t go into numbers as it’s not fair to. But I messaged him, and can get my training with test and my pcp, and even free accommodation. Also everything I have looked up says he is top notch.

I also am really really keen on him having automatics. I know what people will say about that. However it’s simple really. I passed my car test in a 60hp 206 and could have jumped straight into an automatic ferrari. So it’s horses for courses. Another point is that realistically how many automatic trucks are on the road now? And how many are going to be there in the future. I certainly don’t see many old trucks on the road - and even the armed forces are moving on… This is in an organisation that still uses 70’s none turbo defenders.

I’ve called around agencies today - and have found out there is work for people without experience if you have a bit of life experience. Infact a few of the agencies said if I had my licence now I could get some work this weekend. It might not always be like that, but I think in Southampton with the docks there will be work. Money is what I expected for Cat C - realistically I was told I’d be looking at between min wage and £9 an hour. And a bit more if I was willing to work as a Ltd Company… Not sure how that even works and didn’t go into it.

I also tried calling some big hauliers and basically got laughed off the phone! Have an uncle who drives tankers for DHL and he gave my his transport managers number - basically told to keep dreaming until I have a couple of years of solid experience, even said they prefer drivers who are older. That’s fair enough though - if I had hundreds of grand ■■■■■■■ in a truck I’m not sure I’d be so keen on having someone with no experience driving it!

Sounds like you’re doing all your homework with the LGV it’s a big commitment to take on financially so you need to be happy with what you decide to do. I know there are company’s out there both big and small willing take new drivers as I’m in the process of finding my first job and ive been in contact with quite a few and they do seem interested.
My advice would be to go for it and good luck with it all.

Justin

That’s a fair shout sammym I’ve read a lot of great things about Pete on here and his posts are very knowledgable I just knew he wasn’t local if I was to do it all again though travelling to a good trainer would be worth it. I might be giving you a flash on the m27 before long. :slight_smile:.

Glad you’re doing your research Sammy! :smiley:

And thanks to Karl for another By Pass recommendation (You’re not the first) - My training will probably be a toss up between them and Peter Smythe. As I said above, my only concern about doing a residential course is if I fail and need to do a retest.

Best of luck Sammy and tell us how you get on with Peter. We want ALL the gossip, gotta have something to rib/tease him about on the forum! :smiley: (Or maybe that’s just me and I’m a bad person!) LOL

I joined Wild in Pompey a few weeks ago and have been busy, mostly running out of Segensworth, but haven’t been paid £9 an hour - doing the research would have paid off, after reading previous posts. :unamused: It was also mostly as drivers mate, too, so not the best for driving hours. I also joined Drivers in Northam last week who weren’t phased by my driving inexperience as they probably thought I had enough life experience. They also made the point that if they send you out, the company may not think you fit in and vice-versa. Fair comment, really, particularly if you’re their rep, dealing with their customers…
Stick out for what you want, take a few drivers mates shifts to keep the relationship with the agency, but don’t do too many, it’s driving you need, particularly with a medical history.
Good luck :grimacing:

Sumsmeister:
I joined Wild in Pompey a few weeks ago and have been busy, mostly running out of Segensworth, but haven’t been paid £9 an hour - doing the research would have paid off, after reading previous posts. :unamused: It was also mostly as drivers mate, too, so not the best for driving hours. I also joined Drivers in Northam last week who weren’t phased by my driving inexperience as they probably thought I had enough life experience. They also made the point that if they send you out, the company may not think you fit in and vice-versa. Fair comment, really, particularly if you’re their rep, dealing with their customers…
Stick out for what you want, take a few drivers mates shifts to keep the relationship with the agency, but don’t do too many, it’s driving you need, particularly with a medical history.
Good luck :grimacing:

I think I’m probably reading this wrong. But I’m not disability case.

I dislocated my shoulder and it kept popping out. So I got medically discharged. I’m not a ■■■■■■■! Infact once i stopped trying to recover the muscles and tendons have sorted themselves and now I can do weights and even mountaineer again.

That said - if I were you I’d sign up for every agency within 20 miles. Better to have too much work than too little.

Well I’m with driverhire Wakefield and I work 5 days a week without fail loads of work

Also I’m only 23 with no experience when I joined with them and I been there 3 months now and they have just put me through my ipaf licence and my load/unload course £600 worth of training and I only have to pay £150 towards it.