Worst 2 weeks in a 17 year career

not had any points on my licence for over 8 years, last ones where for a dam static speed camera whilst in my car… anyway

im sat on the A194 / newcatle road in south shields last thursday, stood in traffic, engine running, hand brake on. mobile rings, i lift it exactly 3 inches off the dash to see who it is and cancel the call and return it to the dash. my drop was exactly 200 mtrs on the left but couldnt get to it due to jam. i decide im gonna call the wife back at the drop. next thing i know a biker cop motions me to pull over… i received a £60 fine and 3 points for use of a mobile phone whilst engine running in a heavy goods vehicle, not forgetting it was 28/11/07, end of the month quota needed by the northumberland constabulary…

today after i returned from my trip to daventry my boss said i had to contact the traffic commisioner… so i did… i have to write to them and explain why i was pulled over and the action the police took… there will be a hearing and i WILL receive a minimum of a 2 week hgv driving ban after the hearing… if they knew i had been pulled by the police, shouldnt they already know the outcome?

and can you be done twice for the same infringment? or is it the ministry just being asses?

your going to be banned for 2 weeks for using your phone , unreal . does mr rep get taken off the road when he uses his

ady1:
your going to be banned for 2 weeks for using your phone , unreal . does mr rep get taken off the road when he uses his

been discussed HERE

Just out of interest,

Has anyone ever been pulled over or chastised in any way for using a CB Radio since the mobile phone laws have come into play?

Alex

Has anyone ever been pulled over or chastised in any way for using a CB Radio since the mobile phone laws have come into play?

There is a little known piece of legislation,that kind of exempts HAM RADIO operators from prosecution for holding a microphone.I’m guessing that taxis are exempt as well.Don’t know if it applies to CB radio operators though.

However,I’m guessing that they would do you for not being in control of your vehicle,maybe with a charge of driving without due care and attention if they caught you.

Mercjim.For what it’s worth,my brother in law is a traffic cop in that very same area that you got done,however,he’s in the cars,and not the bikes.

Ken.

In a Nutshell

Are there any exceptions?

• A driver may call 999 or 112 in response to a genuine emergency.
  • Two-way radios are not covered by this offence but other devices for sending or receiving data are included if they are held while driving, i.e a PDA, Blackberry or similar device.

mercjim:
today after i returned from my trip to daventry my boss said i had to contact the traffic commisioner

What makes him think you have to contact the TC? From what I have read the onus is on the police to contact the TC if they see fit, I’ve seen nothing that obliges the driver to make the contact.

Paul

we had a memo to the effect that if you get fined for using a phone then the TC can and will suspend your HGV for up to 2 weeks.
CB’s , the offence as far as i know is driving without due car or not being fuly in control of the vehicle,
ditto 2 way radios, as we use them in our trucks when local shuntingand ahve had a warning from legal dept.
Obviousley doesn’t apply to police talking into their coat collars.
Also read a report of a truck driver being suspended for 2 weeks after TC saw him using phone , even though there was no prosecution.

ye, but the main question was… can i get done twice for the same offence?

and np quinny, the cop was doing his job…
the fine and points i can deal with… but a 2 week suspension is gonna be about £900 earnings lost

If the case goes to court, you could risk a maximum fine of £1,000, which rises to £2,500 for the driver of a bus, coach, or heavy goods vehicle.

Still £1600 cheaper than the Fine if you contested it

Does it actually state in the Legislation that the Engine Must be turned off ■■?

Found this on Government site

2003 No. 2695

ROAD TRAFFIC

The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) (Amendment) (No. 4) Regulations 2003

Made 20th October 2003
Laid before Parliament 27th October 2003
Coming into force 1st December 2003

The Secretary of State in exercise of the powers conferred on him by section 41(1) and (5) of the Road Traffic Act 1988[1], and after consultation with representative organisations in accordance with section 195(2) of that Act, hereby makes the following Regulations:

Citation, commencement and interpretation

1. These Regulations may be cited as the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) (Amendment) (No. 4) Regulations 2003 and shall come into force on 1st December 2003.

Amendment of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986
2. The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986[2] are amended by inserting after regulation 109 -

" Mobile telephones
110. - (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a road if he is using -

(a) a hand-held mobile telephone; or

(b) a hand-held device of a kind specified in paragraph (4).

(2) No person shall cause or permit any other person to drive a motor vehicle on a road while that other person is using -

(b) a hand-held device of a kind specified in paragraph (4).

(3) No person shall supervise a holder of a provisional licence if the person supervising is using -

(b) a hand-held device of a kind specified in paragraph (4),

at a time when the provisional licence holder is driving a motor vehicle on a road.

(4) A device referred to in paragraphs (1)(b), (2)(b) and (3)(b) is a device, other than a two-way radio, which performs an interactive communication function by transmitting and receiving data.

(5) A person does not contravene a provision of this regulation if, at the time of the alleged contravention -

(a) he is using the telephone or other device to call the police, fire, ambulance or other emergency service on 112 or 999;

(b) he is acting in response to a genuine emergency; and

(c) it is unsafe or impracticable for him to cease driving in order to make the call (or, in the case of an alleged contravention of paragraph (3)(b), for the provisional licence holder to cease driving while the call was being made).

(6) For the purposes of this regulation -

(a) a mobile telephone or other device is to be treated as hand-held if it is, or must be, held at some point during the course of making or receiving a call or performing any other interactive communication function;

(b) a person supervises the holder of a provisional licence if he does so pursuant to a condition imposed on that licence holder prescribed under section 97(3)(a) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (grant of provisional licence);

(c) “interactive communication function” includes the following:

(i) sending or receiving oral or written messages;

(ii) sending or receiving facsimile documents;

(iii) sending or receiving still or moving images; and

(iv) providing access to the internet;

(d) “two-way radio” means any wireless telegraphy apparatus which is designed or adapted -

(i) for the purpose of transmitting and receiving spoken messages; and

(ii) to operate on any frequency other than 880 MHz to 915 MHz, 925 MHz to 960 MHz, 1710 MHz to 1785 MHz, 1805 MHz to 1880 MHz, 1900 MHz to 1980 MHz or 2110 MHz to 2170 MHz; and

(e) “wireless telegraphy” has the same meaning as in section 19(1) of the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949[3]."

Signed by authority of the Secretary of State

David Jamieson
Parliamentary Under Secretary of State Department for Transport

20th October 2003

Nowhere does it state engine must be switched off, if your sitting in traffic jam and vehicle is not moving then your not driving in the same manner you can switch tacho to break if your not moving.

Being as Stubborn as I am I would challenge it in Court as a matter of principle if I was in that situation.

Can you not prove that no call was made or recieved from the call log on your phone?

If you had answered and said ‘call you straight back’ or something then it’d have made a connection but if no connection was made…

in the same manner you can switch tacho to break if your not moving.

Oh no you can’t.

obi-wan:

in the same manner you can switch tacho to break if your not moving.

Oh no you can’t.

Oh yes you can, if you dont expect to move anywhere you can take a 15 minute break, if 15 minutes is not reached and you move it then becomes a void break.

I’ve been in the situation where traffic is at a standstill and plod has came along saying you may as well take a break, drive, you aint likely to be going anywhere for 10 to 15 minutes :wink:

And that was before POA came into effect

:laughing: :laughing:

davey is right, done a few breaks on the m62 when theres been accidents… took a full 45 min once that was a cool 1, was stood chattin to a bird in the car next to me… nice long legs and not a lot of skirt to cover…

hot days and the boys need to race… just holds everyone else up when they make the same mistake the n00b boy racer made the day before…
m62 is notorious for it… even better when its raining, they just loose their brains getting in to their cars / vans lol

and on the contesting the fine / points davey, its not a prob, i sent a cheque off for £60 and handed my licence in to local plod for the points putting on, what im pished off about is the fact vosa want me to contact the traffic commision, not vosa / police get the traffic commision to contact me. and getting punished twice for the 1 offence is borratz.

you ever seen a murder get a 7 year prison sentence, and then get a fine and banned from breathing for 2 weeks? not a bad idea… but unless your a driver of an HGV its never gonna happen lolz.

something about trucks and the society we live in, everyone is against us, but… if we stopped rolling for 2 weeks, and the mac D’s didnt get their burgers, or newsagents didnt get their cigars, or housewives didnt get their lenor we would soon be bad asses yet again, so we cant win, we either are welcome to use the roads to deliver all of the needed supplies to our beloved countryfolk, or we all quit and ■■■ them all… and watch the country go back down rations road…

off to bed, thx for the replies guys, i was a little pished off when i wrote the topic, but you lot have made me smile…
thankyou
/big bad ■■■ trucker bows down to his trucker friends

8wheels:
Can you not prove that no call was made or recieved from the call log on your phone?

If you had answered and said ‘call you straight back’ or something then it’d have made a connection but if no connection was made…

I don’t think the offence is actually talking into the phone… its “using” the phone… so pressing the key to reject the call still counts.

Alex

thats why accepted the fine & points bud…

and i aint contacting the traffic commision… im gonna ring vosa tomorrow and ask them why i should make the contact… and why they or the police didnt inform the traffic commisoner…

why should i drop myself in it… let them do their jobs lolz

When it goes to the Traffic Commisioner you could plead mitigating cirmcumstances, saying that you didn’t answer the phone, but picked it up to cancel the call.

will post what vosa say tomorrow…

im sure maggie thatcher had loads of kids and put vosa jackets on em lol

Scarab:

8wheels:

I don’t think the offence is actually talking into the phone… its “using” the phone… so pressing the key to reject the call still counts.

Alex

Have I been dreaming at some point or does the law get slightly technical about this point?

I believe that if the phone is held in a proper holder that is fit for purpose, then you are allowed to use ONE finger to press keys to make or receive a call hands free.

Am I right?

if that where the case m8, i think using a satnav would be legal too… but its not, so think just touching the thing is banned…
im gonna invest in a hands free kit for my ear, so when i get a call, go to push the little button on the ear piece and knock it off my ear and then have to de-air my seat, use both feet to grab it and lean down to collect… and in the mean time take out 3 lanes on the M1… i reckon thats legal… as its a hands free kit rofl…

the justice system in this country sux ■■■… and its getting worse…

for instance… you all heard it on radio 2 the other day…

police officer caught speeding at 90 mph on a 60 mph road… whilst on holiday in wales… so classed as a civvy like us… no blues, no uniform… so hes just another joe public.
he got a £300 fine and banned for 42 days… and the points come in to it when?
we do that in our cars, due to being 30 mph over the road limit… 12 MONTH BAN…

1 law that duplicates and liquidates itself to suit…