Worse than sleeping next to a reefer?

Iam not sure, but it has got the neighbours up in arms.

Unusually I could read more than the first paragraph, so this is either a rare Telegraph freebie, or they thought it was my birthday and gave me a treat.

On a side note, I can think of only two laybys I have seen with signage saying no fridges overnight. One on the A30 close to the M5 and one on the A350 before Chippenham. Are they rare or just not often on my travels?

For those of us who have not been given a Telegraph freebie :smile:

According to the MailOnline:
“Mr Stobart, 62, rents the helipad out to private charter firm GB Helicopters”

“It is also claimed by local councillors that Mr Stobart, 62, does not have the required planning permission to use the landing pad as a business.”

Metro
Villagers claim millionaire neighbour’s private helipad makes life a ‘living hell’

MailOnline
Millionaire Eddie Stobart heir is making our lives a misery: Villagers launch fight against son of haulage tycoon who ‘flies wealthy clients in and out of his farm estate in helicopters three times a day’

In my experience you don’t sleep next to a frigo, unless you are a died in the wool frigo man. You learn to tolerate a night of half sleep and broken dreams. I managed to avoid driving one for 40 odd years till I came here and was given one to keep. :roll_eyes:

Where I could I used to drop the trailer and park the unit behind the back doors. One regular overnight stop for me was just to the north of Angouleme, La Belle Cantiniere, and there was a place at the bottom of the large park where frigos were told to go. I would drop mine amongst the sleepless ones and then park up amongst the joyful crowd further away. :joy:

La Belle Cantiniere. Know it well. We had a regular job into Angouleme, and couldn’t get there in time to tip from leaving the port on a Mon morning.

I very occasionally had a fridge, but they didn’t much bother me if left on continuous running. Just like being in the bowels of the old P&O boats.
The intermittent start ones I didn’t like one bit.

Helicopters using a residential area as a commercial operating centre?
Clearly wrong.

Yes, that was the worst, even when silent I couldn’t relax because I was on tenterhooks for the dreaded warning whistle and the racket to start all over again.

1 Like

The sheer horror on some other drivers faces when I park close to them with fridge on (not through choice). Car transporters are the best :laughing: