Worrying Driver

Afternoon all i m currently doing some shifts on an agency at the min shunting rigids from one side of an industrial to another for loading purposes (its all i can get at the min as only recently passed class 1 & 2) we have trunkers bring the loads in and last night we had to wait for the last trailer took this driver 3hrs 45min to do a 2hr journey :confused: when he eventually arrived he spoke no English at all i was sat in the rigid on the bay at first he attempted to go blind side 3 or so attempts and another driver told him to turn around and try it properly after a good 6 shunts he just touched the center of my truck to which i gave a blast on the horn. I then got out and tried to help as best i could 25mins this went on for then he hit my mirror at this point i shouted at him to get out dump the trailer in the middle of the yard and i d get the shunter to do it this was fairly complicated to get across but lowering his legs and giving him a thumbs up seemed to trigger him un-coupling. It just really concerned me that someone like that can get a drive in the U.K who is clearly a danger who could you complain too there isn’t anyone to my knowledge so we just have to live in hope he doesn’t kill someone out on the road? :frowning:

Considering you’ve “only just passed your class 1 & 2”, you’re very scathing in your assessment of someone elses driving.
Add in to that you waited till he touched your truck before blasting the horn to let him know, then got out to “help as best you could” yet still let him hit a mirror?
For all you know his driving is fine its just his reversing that he struggles with.
Seems more like a “lets bash the foreign workers” attempt to me this

You might be the next worrying driver some ninny posts about.

Take new drivers, the training and test is crap prep for the job. Most newbies need a few weeks to get the hang of it and a lions share end up nearly bashing things in the yards. With an audience on a live yard just after popping out the test centre the stress can get the better of. Not saying this bloke was a newbie but maybe spent all his life driving left hookers and was his first drive at right and old habits got him confused on his first drive on a busy night yard with a que and captive audience from a bloke in a rigid massaging his horn.

What’s needed is genuine help and confidence building. Give as you expect to receive. Costs nothing. Too many bell ringers in this job with short memories. Ready to scorn or ball at people like they were born knowing it all. You can spot them, insecure little men sitting like gnomes on their small grassy knolls feeling all pleased as punch they finally know at least one thing in life.

That drivers English will probably improve as will his reversing ability, lets hope the same can be said about your attitude towards other drivers.

There was a similar incident at Sainsburys Dartford yesterday. The yard is designed to drive around clockwise, giving all right-hand drives easy driver’s side reverses onto bays, like pretty-much every yard in the country is designed. A foreigner manouvred himself to go in what was to him a normal reverse (blindside to us), and the reverse was on the verge of impossible that way, given that he had a building on his left. It must have taken him ten shunts, and then he climbed-out to have a look three times. Then, the rear-right corner of trailer slammed into the headboard of the trailer next to him.

Still, no need to laugh, we’re all crap when we start, and it takes a good few weeks of driving before reversing an artic starts to click. He may have been new, he may have not driven a RHD before, he may have just been incompetent, but I’ve always been of the opinion that drivers should help each other out. I’ve seen it too many times, when someone’s been struggling to get into a gap at a service station, and dozens of drivers sit in their cabs with their hands on their belly, and a smirk on their faces, maybe shaking their heads. All it takes is a bit of help, such as backing them in. It could stop a new driver having to learn the hard way, such as by clipping another truck in a service station in their first week.

How would the OP manage with a left ■■■■■■ driving on the right with no language in the chosen country ?

Most of the damage monkey imbeciles I come across have English as their first language.