worried!!

I’ve signed up for an agency and will soon get some work… I had no problems with the driving test, the CPC or the theory… my instructor said I was a confident driver… but I’m slightly worried about starting… can I do the loading/unloading? Will I get to the drops on time? Will I get back on time… will I be able to use the tacho?.. all that sort of thing…
Any advice?

roger the dodger:
I’ve signed up for an agency and will soon get some work…

Don’t count your chickens before they’ve hatched. :smiley:

When/if the agency get you some work just - give it a go - thats the only way you will know if this is for you

ASK ASK ASK another driver who has done the job you are going to do if possible - that will usually be when you get there

Firstly…don’t panic!
For my 1st ever run the agency had told the client I was a newbie and not too confident. Upon arrival at the yard I was introduced to the chap I was to follow, had the route fully explained and was then shown round the lorry. The digi tacho was explained as was strapping the pallets in and operating the curtains.
ASK QUESTIONS!!!, the company will want the job done properly and will gladly explain any queries you may have, they would rather you were comfortable with what you have to do, when I arrived at the drop I found the forkies were keen to assist with advice on swapping trailers, all went really smoothly.

Secondly…enjoy it! And remember that 44 tons feels hugely different to the empty lorry you passed your test in.

Best of luck bud

just take ya time, dunt rush and have a nice day , if stuck ask fellow drive we all were newbies once upon a time.

You’ll be lucky. 7 Years I’ve been at it and got two agencies and I’ve not worked in 2 weeks.

Cheers guys… fingers crossed eh :slight_smile:

i have’nt got my licence yet but in the depot i used to work a newbie driver delivering from landrover got flustered & could’nt reverse into the area (as it was blummin tight in all honesty) where the forkies would unload the trucks, he was super embarressed & one of the other drivers said/shouted

“hang on pal-dont worry i’ll jump in the passenger side & give you a hand its bloody hard getting in here”

the other driver (from a differant company) gve the chap a hand with his manouvers & all was tickety boo!

i thought that was a really nice thing to do, the newbie guy was spot on everytime after

Thanks… :smiley: nice to know the other drivers look after the new guys

ukthugz:
just take ya time, dunt rush and have a nice day , if stuck ask fellow drive we all were newbies once upon a time.

I second that, when you get your chance don’t fall to bits. As its been said a full load is a different animal and does need to be tamed. Your far better asking questions than saying nothing and getting in trouble be it the tacho, route, getting on bays or in tight yards.

Most experienced drivers will help if asked but rarely offer if you don’t.

Daddy P:

ukthugz:

I second that, when you get your chance don’t fall to bits. As its been said a full load is a different animal and does need to be tamed. Your far better asking questions than saying nothing and getting in trouble be it the tacho, route, getting on bays or in tight yards.

Most experienced drivers will help if asked but rarely offer if you don’t.

Thanks… I’ll keep that in mind :smiley: