Workshop Rates

Ok, we run a small but busy fleet and do all our own maintainance, coachworks and engineering in-house. We’ve recently refurbished our garage and yard and are looking at opening our garage to the public.
We’re well equipped and our fitters are all well experienced (2 are ex-dealership, rest are all ex large fleet).
This would be just for commercials, not cars.

So, question is, what hourly rate do you guys currently pay?

cieranc:
So, question is, what hourly rate do you guys currently pay?

We have recently been quoted between £30 and £42/hr (this is considered to be pretty expensive) for regular inspection work by various local people in Dorset/Somerset. Do you have a brake tester? (proper one, not an accelerometer)

Down here in Malton the going rate seems to be around £30/hour.

Paul

we charge £25 to £30ph depending on the customer & work involved. we do everything from servicing & mot preps to chassis shortning & extending & body fitting / modifying. we are also going to be a ATF station as of january ish.

out of curiosity what is the company?

Hi, at the risk of an add, (not intentional), we’re Darlington Car and Commercial Recovery, part of Turners of Sedgefield.
We don’t have brake rollers but use the Test stations rollers (they’re opposite us).

We are open 7 days a week, and work nights when required, this may be an advantage to owner drivers?

Truckers Boy, think we’re neighbours!

nah were not neighburs as were in newcastle :wink: , however i no exactly were yous are & banks rd cafe is just around corner :stuck_out_tongue: , kinda wages are your fitters on? out of curiosity.

O rite, £10 hour without class 1, £11 with.

cieranc:

same as us lot.
what about with class 2? food for thaught that :wink:

Heavy fitter with class 2 gets £10.50, though we’ll only be recruiting if we can drum some workshop trade up :slight_smile:

cieranc:

Blimey, my son is a mechanic/MOT tester based in the West Midlands and works for a general garage, biggest they work on is 3.5 ton vans, hourly rate at present is £11.20 an hour, they have not had a rise for two years either. He does not have a truck licence. Garage charge £28 an hour for repairs etc.

Difference in the areas I suppose.

I wonder what they pay in that there Lundun?

Car mechanics with a testers license will always get a bit more. Difference with car and commercial garages is the hours they work, 45 hours would be a busy week for most car garages. 45 hours for a commercial garage isn’t a week, it’s half a week :slight_smile:

Given that it’s time and a half over 40 hours, I’d reckon us heavy lads take home much more than your lad does.

Not saying we’ve got a better job than him mind.

I guess your right, it’s 8 am start and 4.30 finish but overtime until 5pm if you want it, 3.30pm Fridays as well normal hours. He doesn’t seem to do much overtime unless he goes in at 7.30am. I told him he got a soft job. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

on my wage inc my overtime etc i take home well over 500, close to 600 & have had over 700 in 1 week a few times.

get your name known with the local heavy driving schools round there for service work :wink: & around teesport etc for all the owner drivers.