Working without an agency

I have read about self-employed drivers working directly for companies instead of through an agency. I am thinking of going down this route, and I would be interested in comments from other Trucknetters. In particlular:

1. Are the DCs (or other hauliers) willing to use self-employed drivers in this way, or do they prefer to go through agencies?

2. How does the driver go about getting paid?

3. Would the ‘employer’ pay on an invoice after each run?

4. How soon after invoicing would the ‘employer’ pay?

5. Is there a likelihood of getting much work this way?

6. What rate of pay, relative to the agency’s rate, could I expect to be paid at?

I can work in the M1 J13 to J18 corridor, so that should give me plenty of opportunity.

Thanks

THis is exactly what I do for a living.

1. Yes. Beware that some of them - especially the larger ones - will require you to have insurance to cover damage caused by driver negligence. I’ve not been able to find any insurers offering this type of liability cover - I think the agencies self insure.

2. You invoice the company either weekly or monthly and they usually BACS it into your account. Beware that some only pay every 60 days. Not a problem once you’ve got past the first payment.

3. Not immediately. You’re not going to do work then get paid straight away or even the next week.

4. Typically 30 or 60 days.

5. Depends on the area you’re in, how picky you are but most importantly how good a reputation you have. I built mine up over several years of agency driving.

6. What they charge or what they pay? To get the work, you need to undercut what they charge the companies. Work on £2-£3/hr more than the agencies pay drivers.

WHAT YOU MUST DO THOUGH is to make sure you have a watertight Terms of Business to protect you from liabilities if you have an accident or do something wrong that costs your customer. You’ll need them to sign it.

Also you need to register self employed and keep proper records.

Just to add, you may need to set up as a Limited Company as some hauliers don’t deal with Sole Traders.

Conor:
Just to add, you may need to set up as a Limited Company as some hauliers don’t deal with Sole Traders.

Couldnt this be done through Nova?

Can’t see why not. If not NOVA, there’s other companies offering similar services.

Toploadertom:

Conor:

Nope, I don’t think so. Nova will only let you work for your Nova company through agencies and not direct as far as I can tell.

Paul

Conor,

Thanks for your helpful and comprehensive reply.

I work as a director of a limited company. I set this up about three years ago for other (non-driving) purposes, so I keep accounts, pay corporation tax and am registered for VAT. I have never been down the Nova route, as I feel comfortable handling the accounts side of things myself.

Do you know where I could get hold of a typical Terms of Business document, or would the large DCs/hauliers have these available?

Thanks

repton:

Toploadertom:

Conor:

Nope, I don’t think so. Nova will only let you work for your Nova company through agencies and not direct as far as I can tell.

Paul

Their website and the booklets they send out seem to have conflicting information. The websites gives the impression that you can only work through agencies, while the booklet I got with my applications forms says you may work as a contractor, using your nova company as long as the firm you are working for agrees to nova’s conditions.

Toploadertom:

Conor:

Nova isn’t your only choice. Noticed you where in Leicester. IDL is in Rugby . Drivers only. Don’t know what theyre like, so i wont comment. Nor will I spam this forum, but i will provide a phone number if emailed.
Just gives you 2 companies to compare instead of only 1.

Tralfamadore:
Do you know where I could get hold of a typical Terms of Business document, or would the large DCs/hauliers have these available?

Thanks

Some legal companies supply them online. Alternatively google for Terms and Conditions Employment Agency and plagurise some. Looking at some from various companies, they seem to all use the same template and just alter the name of the company, some hours and terms of payment.