Working whilst ill

As i sit here, with a temp of over 100…coughing, struggling to breathe, losing my voice and generally feeling like i have been battered by Mike Tyson…i am contemplating the start of my working week tomorrow.

I am not fit for work…that much is obvious…however, as i am not paid sick pay, i will be going in regardless. I can’t afford not to.

This will undoubtedly prolong my illness, maybe even worsen it…but hopefully not to a degree where i have no option but to not be at work.

I suffered pneumonia a few years back and that has left me prone to suffering much worse with my chest than i did before that illness. Been to the docs today and at the moment my chest is ok, but even he said to keep an eye on it as pneumonia does leave your lungs damaged and more susceptible to reoccurrences.

I know that when i worked on the railway, and was paid for sick leave, i would never have dreamt of going in to work tomorrow in the state that i am in. It could be dangerous (i used to drive trains) and could spread the illness through the workplace.
I would suggest that it is just as dangerous for a lorry driver to drive while feeling particularly ill, it only takes one lapse in concentration for tragedy to strike. And lets face it, when we are ill, one of the first things that suffers is our sleep.

Not sure i have a particular point to make or whether this is just a rambling way of expressing some frustration at feeling compelled to work when i know i shouldn’t be simply because i cannot afford to have the luxury of being ill in my own home/bed!

Thankfully, i only have 3 days to get through this week, due to a couple of days holiday booked at the end of the week.

Same as you I don’t get company sick pay just the ssp. I’ve been rough as ■■■■ for a week now and phoned in this morning and took it as a holiday and I’m going back in tomorrow. I try and keep a bit of an emergency fund built up in case anything goes wrong, as it did last summer when I broke my wrist and was off for seven weeks. If it taught me anything it was that I can live on a lot less than I do when necessary, but I agree not getting sick pay is bollox