Working while on break or rest

,I have just read a post where it was posted about unloading whilst
on break or rest , Well legally it is not allowed , and every one knows this,Now in real
life we all know that it does go on,Many do it just to get home in time while others
will do it because they are afraid of losing their jobs, or they have been told they will
get payed for doing it, What ever, I hear from friends as well, that some still pay
kilometre–mileage money as well as a basic wage. which is also illegal
but in real life these practises do go on ,and will never stop, why because
either people like what is payed for the work or are too scared not to do it
“”“”“However we also have a bigger majority who just say “””" NO"“”" and do not
participate at all in the practise,“”“”“”

brit pete:
,I hear from friends as well, that some still pay

No it’s not, that’s just another of those popular driver’s myths. There are members on here who are paid this way with the full blessing of VOSA. The regulations prevent payment methods which encourage drivers to break the law to achieve their wages but if the company pay mileage and have no, or very few infringements, then it isn’t a problem.

Hi brit pete

I could name a few companies on here who while dont tell you to tip on break but get rather cross when you arrive an hour later in the yard than their own regular driver because he is on salary and tips and reloads on break meanwhile i wont!! I used to do this which was to get me home but to drive from london to leeds tip and reload then drive back to london without a proper break is not for me anymore. This is a major uk haulage company aswell :unamused:

brit pete:
,I have just read a post where it was posted about unloading whilst
on break or rest , Well legally it is not allowed , and every one knows this,Now in real
life we all know that it does go on,Many do it just to get home in time while others
will do it because they are afraid of losing their jobs, or they have been told they will
get payed for doing it, What ever, I hear from friends as well, that some still pay
but in real life these practises do go on ,and will never stop, why because
either people like what is payed for the work or are too scared not to do it
“”“”“However we also have a bigger majority who just say “””" NO"“”" and do not
participate at all in the practise,“”“”“”

I agree with most things in this post Pete, well apart from the loud text colour :laughing:

I have commented on a couple of threads about this and it is only the driver to blame or takes the risk, if someone is forced to do something “doubtful” they will never be sacked for it. I have never been squeaky clean throughout my whole driving career but knew when to say enough is enough.

One recent post has done two things, it shows how planners with no chance of being prosecuted will change someones shift pattern or run times without it being agreed by the licence holder.

Another post shows a disgruntled driver who has probably worn himself out through greed is now publicly defaming a company, the same company where his former workmates are still gainfully employed and happy in their work.

I would not want to work with a bloke like that anyway.

The bit I underlined was already pointed out by Neil

I understand that if the firm ensures no laws are broken then it is OKAY;
but I suppose I was thinking more of firms over here(GERMANY ) ;;
this was not a dig at those company’s. who follow rule and laws::
But those who just do not care;; although with this Digi-card AND here the laws
that are aimed now direct at TM,s & Owners ,it is cleaning out such
Firms ,

brit pete:
Firms ,

Well I’m on trip money and my boss has never looked at any tachos to see if I’m running legal so I guess it’s the likes of me you are having a go at.

In the whole scheme of things, someone fuelling up on a break or opening the back doors is hardly the worst crime in the world. Why it bothers the wannabe coppers so much is beyond me. My tachos are usually checked once a month by Police and VOSA and they couldn’t care less that for the past 28 days I have only done about 2 minutes other work.

Also how you are paid also has nothing to do with how legal you operate. The worst offence I was ever prosecuted for was when I was hourly paid driving for a local supermarket. :open_mouth:

maurice:

brit pete:
Firms ,

Well I’m on trip money and my boss has never looked at any tachos to see if I’m running legal so I guess it’s the likes of me you are having a go at.

In the whole scheme of things, someone fuelling up on a break or opening the back doors is hardly the worst crime in the world. Why it bothers the wannabe coppers so much is beyond me. My tachos are usually checked once a month by Police and VOSA and they couldn’t care less that for the past 28 days I have only done about 2 minutes other work.

Does this mean you are pulled on a monthly basis?

Am i right in saying that digi tacho’s dont record breaks if the engine is running?

C-Kay:
Am i right in saying that digi tacho’s dont record breaks if the engine is running?

Digi tachos record whatever you tell it to record using the mode switch, when you move they go to drive, when you stop, they remain on other work until you “tell” them otherwise

C-Kay:

No your wrong. it records breaks whenever you select break on the mode button, makes no differance if the engine is on or off.

@waddy640
There is a difference between opening the doors and
fuelling up on break, over here in Germany it is the practise of
many firms to ensure that profits are MADE;; the drivers will
stick their disc or card on break when unloading or loading, In
tanker area depending where and what you are loading or
when unloading , you
may have to do this all yourself after being shown and tested
, as regards TANKERS over here it is covered
by certain laws regarding water pollution, you are responsible for
ensuring that no product leaks out ,THIS means staying in the area
and controlling every thing, some times loading or unloading can take
longer than one thinks, what I used to unload my self it took any thing
from 2hrs plus minimum, when it was resin or any of the Hot products,
Gas tankers I used a dead mans switch and other safety features you
had to stand there and do it yourself,in all weathers,
as for Trailers well now many firms load and secure the load themselves
but there are still firms where a driver has to carry out loading and lashing
or any of the big SUPERMARKT RDC,s who state you must unload yourself,
YES IN REAL LIFE it is different but I would not do work for nothing
as would you or any one else, or am I alone as regards this…

It must be when the PTO is engaged that break isn’t recorded then.

C-Kay:
It must be when the PTO is engaged that break isn’t recorded then.

there was a thread about that not long ago, depending where the output for the PTO is it will think the vehicle is moving.

And the meaning of all this is ■■? what brit pete■■?, basically when you pay everones wages you can then dictate to how and what others do and dont do!!
why does it concern you how a man/woman is pay"d either hours % etc, and how he/she has there breaks!! i dont care a flying hook about how the next man makes his money just as long as i get mine

hi globby 480 , if you disagree that is you god given right but
try to act with a bit of decorum …every one acts as they
wish ,I was just putting my view over and the end line
is this What ever work I do, then PAYMENT OF THAT WORK
is what I wish to have and not get told other wise,

waddy640:

maurice:

brit pete:
Firms ,

Does this mean you are pulled on a monthly basis?

Usually at least once a month by either VOSA or Police. My record is 2 police checks and 1 VOSA check on the same day.

I’ve never been pulled up by Police/Vosa or trading standards in almost 10 years of driving. I suppose it’s our firms record plus the fact that they use ANPR now. Was driving a spare W reg Foden that was long in the tooth last year and stopped for break at Wheatley Services. Two year old artic pulls up and Vosa guy goes straight for it. Driver queries why he didn’t bother “the bag of s**t” next to him and was told it was down to our record with them.

Muckaway:
I’ve never been pulled up by Police/Vosa or trading standards in almost 10 years of driving. .

Tempting fate a bit there… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

toowise:

Muckaway:
I’ve never been pulled up by Police/Vosa or trading standards in almost 10 years of driving. .

Tempting fate a bit there… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Been tempting it for almost 10 years I suppose. had Vosa bloke walk by and say hello a couple of times. Pulled into Seven Springs layby near Cheltenham whilst it was being used for a stop n check, and Mr Vosa said “you’re either very confident or you don’t care!” Then he walked off and left me to go to sleep…