Working weekends

What are people’s opinions of working a Friday to Tuesday shift? Or any shift including Sat and Sun?
At present I am on Friday to Tuesday and I enjoy my days of in the week.
Better deals at pubs and restaurants.
Quieter roads usually at weekends, depending on collection points.
And better rates for weekend :smiley:

Kids are grown up now.
Can help my parents out in week
And FWB is off in week :wink:

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

If your football team aren’t worth watching, you’re not losing anything by working weekends. Plus, makes appointments and deliveries easier to book.

Nothing at all wrong with it if it suits you, i work around 50% of weekend days, now and again both days but mostly one of the two, suits me/us down to the ground.

Just make sure the pay is reflecting the permanent premium shifts involved, not just sat and sun, but if you have to work the bank hols, those too.

Most blokes i know that work permanent weekends its on a 4 or 4.5 day week basis if on a rolling pattern.

Before I started driving I was a flt driver in warehouse for years did shift work.
I preferred working weekends having days off in the week.
Didn’t bother me. Prefer week days off as can get into town round the shops it’s a lot quieter. Plus just more chilled out have weekdays off I find.

All depends on what’s going on in your home life really. Wouldn’t have done it when the kids were younger and at school, don’t really care what days I work now.

Works well for me atm so I do it.
Like you said it has its perks.

We used to have ('til our (I’m ■■■■■■■ sure he’s protected) minimum wage EE planner started bleating) a shift pattern on a 5 week cycle. Works with 5 drivers on 4 vehicles.

Week 1: off Saturday & Sunday. Week 2: off Thursday & Sunday. Week 3: off Friday & Saturday. Week 4: off Monday, Tuesday & Saturday. Week 5: off Wednesday, Saturday & Sunday. Then back to week 1 recurring.

Loved it. You can get loads more personal admin done on a weekday.

Been warned off that from next Monday, we’ll be working alternate Monday to Friday, Monday to Saturday for the foreseeable. :unamused:

I’m looking at getting my life back round about Easter-time…depends when this ever thinning thread snaps…

Personal opinion, if you can get weekdays off, go for it.

Sunday-Thursday has been a good one for me.

I used to work 5on3off-5on2off and that was really good once I got my head round planning things to work with it.

Mon-Fri is definitely my least favourite pattern.

Monday to Friday for me,
Overtime on a Saturday if I want it
I once tried Thursday to Monday and hated it with a passion but tried justifying it to myself stuck it a year,
Went back to Monday to Friday with very occasional Saturday and p60 at end of year was more doing mon to Friday so giving every weekend up didn’t benefit me at all.
Plus I had to book time off for weddings and family party’s etc.
Monday to Friday all the way for me

When I was a lad,Wednesday was half day closing,and everything was shut on Sunday.
I did’nt vote for this 24/7 world we now live in…and I’ll be for ■■■■■■ if i’m giving my weekend up to service it.

For the last ten years before I retired seven years ago I was working for agencies and enjoying it, mainly because I could set my own time of work which for me was nights and weekends, but this was in the good old days of overtime and night premiums, so Saturday at time and half, Sunday at double bubble, the best for this was our friends at Stobard because he was a greedy basket, he did like his fifteen hour days which suited me fine, two days weekend work = thirty hours actual work but fifty two and a half hours paid work couldn’t fault him and a bank holiday Monday at double time when they came up, the rest of the week off, lovely jubbly…

Yes weekends used to be a great payer but now too many firms pay foolish drivers a tenner an hour on a Saturday and Sunday and they do it :open_mouth:
Years ago I nearly packed in my full time tramping job because I could earn more doing Saturday Sunday Monday at the old somerfields at sherburn…
Now I only do occasional Saturday but I still want a good rate for doing it.
Also these managers that expect all this weekend work are nowhere to be seen on a weekend off doing family things no doubt without a thought for their staff.

andy187:
What are people’s opinions of working a Friday to Tuesday shift? Or any shift including Sat and Sun?
At present I am on Friday to Tuesday and I enjoy my days of in the week.
Better deals at pubs and restaurants.
Quieter roads usually at weekends, depending on collection points.
And better rates for weekend :smiley:

Kids are grown up now.
Can help my parents out in week
And FWB is off in week :wink:

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

I couldn’t work every single weekend no way just wouldn’t do it but I do shifts (4 days a week) which does include weekends and I certainly don’t find it a problem and enjoy time off in the week but my wife who works for herself predominantly works Monday to Friday so some weekends when I’m not working it’s easier to fit things in with family or friends or even weekends away. When I first started here I had to work every weekend for about 4 months and come the end it was getting to me a bit to be honest but saying that I wouldn’t want to work Monday to Friday either

When I used to work weekends it felt kind of strange being the only one drunk in the pub on a Tuesday night.

If you are your own man, & can handle the frowns from the people who consider themselves normal, then why not?

Like you say, I used to enjoy the many benefits it brings.

I only work Friday to Monday.
I am a LTD Company Driver, this suits me as I like to take 3 months a year off and do work overseas.
The company I’m working for and have done for 4 years are always short of drivers over the weekends. I’m delivering milk into Asda and Morrisons usually 5 to 6 drops.
It’s fairly straightforward work but some of the loading areas need some careful driving into.
I think it’s down to your personal choice. I do 4 days starting at 03.45 and usually home by 16.00. This gives me 3 days off when the town’s quiet so can get stuff done without the crowds.
I also do a bit of caravanning so always get a pitch midweek.
Also the hourly rate is better too.
An average 4 day week gives me around £680.00 into my business account…

How much of that 680 is yours after deductions?
I’ve considered Ltd before but I couldn’t justify the extra hassle and loss of benefits for a small increase in wage.

adam277:
How much of that 680 is yours after deductions?
I’ve considered Ltd before but I couldn’t justify the extra hassle and loss of benefits for a small increase in wage.

As I have a Government Pension (I left trucking in 1993 & became Prison Officer) I draw down £400 a week.
As a LTD Company my wife is also a director so I pay her £150.00 per week for making my sandwiches…
This is what is advised by my accountant. I then pay myself the myserly sum of £250.00 a week…

I claim for my fuel money in my car to the depot which is 45pence a mile and is 5.80 a trip.
I use my business card to pay for anything associated with the job IE…PPE boots and gloves etc. Also if I buy a Costa or McDs on the road I just keep the receipt and that is deducted from the turnover.

I never wanted to get involved in this way of working, but I like the flexibility of being unavailable when I want etc…It’s probably better to be on the payroll however due to my pension and another income stream I’d be on 40% tax if I worked that way.
People confuse self employed with LTD Company. They are not the same, I am an employee as is my wife of our company.

A lot of drivers work under Agency Umbrella Scheme’s which they sort your tax and NI for you but you will be charged on average £15 per week. My Accountant is £105.00 a month…

I’ve been doing this for 5 years now and I always pay my Corporation Tax on time, this is currently 19% of the company profit. So £680 per week less expenses for the stuff I mentioned and other things too that I haven’t mentioned is stationary postage use of home for office .

As you can draw down tax efficient dividends as wages that’s the reason there’s very little tax on my meagre turn over!
If you keep on top of your liabilities then it works out (nicely for me). At the end of the financial year anything in our business account is ours, and your accountant will advise how much to take in the most tax efficient way.

Basically 2 people have a tax allowance of £11850.00 X 2 = £23700…

Happy to answer any questions you have though.

You too can be a tax dodging ■■■■ if you follow this simple 6 step plan…

why should he pay anymore tax than legally allowed if his accountant works within the rules?
when i taxied then i kept 12 asda bags with recipts and handed them over to my accountant along with my list of outgoings for my house.mortgage,rates,gas and leccy ect.
he then put through just the bare minimum for me to feed myself and have a few extra quid most weeks,and just flung all the extra fuel recipts away as they would show i was making far too much.
that simple excersise meant i paid him £150 a year accountancy fees as they couldnt have been simpler.
we all pay enough tax to allow the goverment to give it all away abroad or to the imports that fall off the axles of whatever trailer brought them in,so why pay more than you need to?
for every £10 f fuel you buy,your paying the goverment about £8.70 in duty with ciggies and drink taxed accordingly.
for the dudes on the dole,then they get approx £72 per week,no matter if they only buy food with it,then the goverment get back £15 out of that.
dont you think your paying far too much tax as it is due to your goverment ■■■■■■ you since robin hood died?

dieseldog999:
why should he pay anymore tax than legally allowed if his accountant works within the rules?

Even as someone who is on PAYE I agree with this message. Even on PAYE I’ll claim anything I can using a P87 so for two examples I claim for uniform washing because my agency gives me a uniform, I claim for my DCPC training AND the travel to it. My stocks and shares are in a S&S ISA so I don’t pay tax on the gains, I used residential and letting relief when calculating capital gains tax on a house I let out which I sold last year. When I was self employed I claimed for everything legally possible including walking to the post office at HMRC rates of 2p per mile.

HMRC are far from being badly done to. They claim millions off people that HMRC aren’t entitled to, for example everyone who works at McDonalds who washes their own uniform is entitled to a £60 allowance but I bet very few if any claim it and HMRC won’t tell you.

harleymlb:
I claim for my fuel money in my car to the depot which is 45pence a mile and is 5.80 a trip.

You may want to check the rules on that as HMRC altered them a while ago so something which is viewed as commuting within a travel to work area is not claimable. You also need to check you have business use on your car insurance if you’re claiming travel expenses when using it.