Working weekends q

Mickrick

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:36 am Post subject: Working question !!
I currentley work as a driver doing class2 work mon-fri
07.30 to 16.00. I have been offerd driving work on sundays
Aprox 10 hours a shift. As i rarley drive no more than 20 hrs in the week
Can i legally do this shift on a sunday ?
Many thanks

mickrick:
Many thanks

1600 fri finish means that 1300 sunday is the end of your regular 45 weekly rest

As you must have a regular weekly rest at least every other week then how do you intend to comply with the law?

You can drive for 45 every week, for ever, but that is the maximum if you’re only doing the same all the time. You can’t do more than 90 in any fortnight. So you could do 56 hours one week, then you could only do 34 the week after, because that makes 90. If you don’t normally drive at all, you could a one-off week of 56, but no more. So in any one week you could only do 56 max. So you could do 36 every week regularly, for ever, legally, if you had a job that never varied, for instance.
There is leaflet you can download from HERE which I think is quite useful. Just open the link and print it. Chop it in half, fold it up into a credit-card sized thing and chuck it in your wallet.
As for your weekly rest, you’d have to start late Saturday…(see first reply post) to get your 45 in…

Sumsmeister:
You can drive for 45 every week, for ever, but that is the maximum if you’re only doing the same all the time. You can’t do more than 90 in any fortnight. So you could do 56 hours one week, then you could only do 34 the week after, because that makes 90. If you don’t normally drive at all, you could a one-off week of 56, but no more. So in any one week you could only do 56 max. So you could do 36 every week regularly, for ever, legally, if you had a job that never varied, for instance.
There is leaflet you can download from HERE which I think is quite useful. Just open the link and print it. Chop it in half, fold it up into a credit-card sized thing and chuck it in your wallet.
As for your weekly rest, you’d have to start late Saturday…(see first reply post) to get your 45 in…

I think you meant start late sunday not Saturday

Driving hours of 90 max in any two weeks is not likely to be a problem but the weekly rest will be

why did you concentrate on the driving hours?

ROG:
I think you meant start late sunday

I was thinking about our friends first post which says he starts regularly 07:30 on Mon, which kind of restricts when his 45 starts…
Unless I’ve misunderstood things, not for the first time either, :blush:

mickrick:
Many thanks

You cannot legally do it every week, but you could legally do a Sunday shift every other week as long as you can pay back the compensation, which depending on the Sunday start time you shouldn’t have a problem with.

Sumsmeister:

ROG:
I think you meant start late sunday

I was thinking about our friends first post which says he starts regularly 07:30 on Mon, which kind of restricts when his 45 starts…
Unless I’ve misunderstood things, not for the first time either, :blush:

I see where you are coming from but he wants to drive on a sunday so the weekly rest would start at 1600 friday

ROG:
I see where you are coming from but he wants to drive on a sunday so the weekly rest would start at 1600 friday

Didn’t realise you could do that, glad I said “not for the first time”. :blush:
Thanks ROG, makes total sense now. Funny how sometimes you set out thinking one thing, sort things in your own head and can’t see things from a different angle…

Sumsmeister:

ROG:

Didn’t realise you could do that, glad I said “not for the first time”. :blush:
Thanks ROG, makes total sense now. Funny how sometimes you set out thinking one thing, sort things in your own head and can’t see things from a different angle…

Been there, done it, got the T shirt … on this site :blush:

Got to be honest I am still unwise on this ,when I say I drive mon-fri 07.30 till 16.00 I am not driving all that time. When jt states 56 driving hrs a week does that mean actuall driving time ? I woukd say I drive no morew than 5 hrs a day max. As a new driver there is so much confussion with regards to hours ect. Some days I wont even drive the truck can this be taken into account for weekend work ? Cheers

mickrick:
Got to be honest I am still unwise on this ,when I say I drive mon-fri 07.30 till 16.00 I am not driving all that time. When jt states 56 driving hrs a week does that mean actuall driving time ? I woukd say I drive no morew than 5 hrs a day max. As a new driver there is so much confussion with regards to hours ect. Some days I wont even drive the truck can this be taken into account for weekend work ? Cheers

Driving time means what has been recorded by the tachograph

max 56 hours per week recorded driving time not anything else
max 90 hours per any two weeks next to each other

56 is not the max weekly shift time - that can be well over 70 hours
Driving time + other work time is limited to 60 in any week but again that is not shift time
As an example a shift could have in it - 7 hours driving time + 3 hours other work time + 2 hours POA time + 1 hour break time = 13 shift hours but only 10 working time hours

mickrick:

In your case it has very little to do with how many hours per day/week you drive it’s all about weekly rest periods.

Because you drive HGV vehicles you must comply with the weekly rest requirements, in any two consecutive weeks you must have either two regular weekly rest periods or one regular weekly rest period and one reduced weekly rest period.
In other words you must have a regular 45 hour weekly rest period at-least every second week.

As you can see if you worked every Sunday you would not be able to have a regular 45 hour weekly rest period each week or even every second week, so you would be running illegally and if you got stopped by DVSA (VOSA) you would probably get parked up for 45 hours.

When i finish work at 16.00 till 07.00 next day
Does that count 15 hrs rest period ?
That would be 75 hrs not including saturday off
Or does that not count ?
I do appreciate all your replys and i can see i am
Getting on some peeps nerves but i will be the nx
Generation truck driver who will know all i need ti know
From you proffesional … Thanks

Read this, then keep reading it, then read it again.
gov.uk/government/uploads/s … europe.pdf
Then come and ask questions on what you have read, if you still don’t understand specifics.
It’s called research - It’s how I did it (as well as the experts on here who are trying to help you), try it sometime. The hours regs are complicated - you HAVE to at least have a basic understanding of them.
:wink:

It’s worth reading the entire chapter and verse once, as posted above. For quick reference, try these:

mickrick:
When i finish work at 16.00 till 07.00 next day
Does that count 15 hrs rest period ?
That would be 75 hrs not including saturday off
Or does that not count ?
I do appreciate all your replys and i can see i am
Getting on some peeps nerves but i will be the nx
Generation truck driver who will know all i need ti know
From you proffesional … Thanks

It doesn’t work like that, a regular weekly rest period is 45 consecutive hours and a reduced weekly rest period is a rest period of at-least 24 consecutive hours but less than 45 hours.

In other words the weekly rest period has to be taken in one go, it cannot be split up and you cannot just add all your daily rest periods together.

Don’t worry about the questions mate, these things always seem confusing when you’re not used to them, I would suggest you have a read of the links in the two previous posts though :wink:

Does everyone know that the word consecutive in this context means all in one go without any gaps ?

ROG:
Does everyone know that the word consecutive in this context means all in one go without any gaps ?

Shhhh! We don’t want an English language and grammar DCPC module! That would be icing on the cake.

Ok , basically if I want to work on a sunday i should take fridays off
Correct ? That then will give me at least 45 hrs weekly rest !!

mickrick:
Ok , basically if I want to work on a sunday i should take fridays off
Correct ? That then will give me at least 45 hrs weekly rest !!

That is one way to comply with that part of the rules, yes.

Building on this theme, If you look at the REST link above, you will see that you can take a reduced weekly rest of 24 hours in some circumstances. I am guessing that if you always took Saturday off you would only need to take Friday off every two weeks. But please read and understand the reduced weekly rest part yourself to be sure.

You always need to think about the rules in two ways, how much can I work/drive, and how much do I need to rest. It is complicated, but you will get there if you study them long enough.