Working time help

Hi i am starting a new job tramping for keedwells, the questions are 1 .How many times a week can i reduce my daily rest period. 2 What is my daily max working hours. thanks for your help, more dumb questions to follow for sure :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

you can reduce to 9 hours rest 3 times per week, and most hours working is 60 per week not counting breaks or poa . you can actually get 3x15 and 2 x13 but this is including your breaks etc… also you have to get your daily rest in a 24 hour period, you have to average 48 hr week over a 17 week period

For an example of the above, if you start at 0600 and you work beyond 1900, you have reduced your daily rest for that day, regardless of how many hours you actually take off that night. For the sake of argument, you could still take 12 hours off, but the rules state you must complete your daily rest period within 24 hours from the start of your shift.

If you start at 0600, you must be finished by 2100, regardless of the activities carried out in that daily work period, that’s a 15 hour day, reduces your daily rest to the minimum allowed 9, and is the legal maximum.

Best to think about it as a legal minimum amount of rest (within 24 hour period) rather than a maximum amount of work.

You can ‘drive’ for 9 hours in a daily work period. Extend to 10 hours driving only twice between weekly rest periods. I try and save the 10’s for the end of the week, so I have a better chance of getting home.

Try and get the EU drivers hours rules right, and don’t worry too much about the working time directive, most of it falls into place anyway, and nobody seems to care that much about it. Probably because it’s easily fiddled with the likes of POA.

I seem to be seeing more keedwells trucks about than anyone else at the moment, those boys are everywhere! Good luck.

dog27:
Hi i am starting a new job tramping for keedwells

Hope it goes well for you :wink:

dog27:
1 .How many times a week can i reduce my daily rest period.

You can legally have up-to 3 reduced daily rest periods between any two weekly rest periods.

dog27:
2 What is my daily max working hours.

You should have completed a daily rest period of at least 11 hours within the 24 hour period from the start of shift.
This daily rest period can be reduced to no less than 9 hours up-to 3 times between any two weekly rest rest periods.

Effectively this means that when you have an 11 hour daily rest period your maximum shift length will be 13 hours (13 hours shift from start to finish + 11 hours daily rest = 24 hours from the start of shift).

When you have a reduced daily rest period you maximum shift length will be 15 hours (15 hours shift from start to finish + 9 hours daily rest = 24 hours from the start of shift).
This may be done no more than 3 times between weekly rest periods.

The 24 hour period from the start of shift is very important to remember because any part of a rest period that falls outside of the 24 hour period from the start of shift will not count towards the daily rest period.
Also if the rest period that falls within the 24 hour period is less than 11 hours but not less than 9 hours it will count as a reduced daily rest period, even if it’s only 1 minute under the 11 hours rest.

And be aware that the reduced rest periods are no more than three times “between any two weekly rest periods”, but the increased driving time to 10 hours is “twice a week

Don’t worry, it gets harder :unamused: :laughing:

grumpybum:
And be aware that the reduced rest periods are no more than three times “between any two weekly rest periods”, but the increased driving time to 10 hours is “twice a week

i didnt no it was over 2 week period being daily rest i though you could reduce each week, i thought that you weekly rest was over a 2 week period and any owed rest must be took before the end or week 3 …or am i confusing myself?

dustylfc:

grumpybum:

i didnt no it was over 2 week period being daily rest i though you could reduce each week, i thought that you weekly rest was over a 2 week period and any owed rest must be took before the end or week 3 …or am i confusing myself?

You’re certainly confusing me :laughing:

You can reduce each week - but that’s not a fixed week, it’s the time between two weekly rest periods. So if you work Thursday to Monday for example, your three reduced daily rests would be in that time (between your weekly rest periods). If it was per fixed week, you could reduce four times in the Thurs - Mon example. Extended driving however, is per fixed week - so you could legally drive for 10 hours on 3 days in the same example.

I’ve read that back and it doesn’t seem any clearer :unamused: Hope you can gain something from that. Unless someone has further information of course! :wink:

dustylfc:

grumpybum:

It’s not over a 2 week period it’s 3 times between two weekly rest periods.

In other words you can have 3 reduced daily rest periods in what some people call their working week, whether that be Monday to Friday/Saturday or Friday to Tuesday/Wednesday, or whatever days you work between weekly rest periods :wink:

Compensation for reduced weekly rest periods should be paid back by the third week following the week in which the reduced weekly rest was taken :wink:

yer we were all correct :laughing: my bat i was getting confused with the two weekly bit, but i understand wat i mean…but trying to write it makes it sound confusing :laughing:

Hi all thanks for your help makes a bit more sence now, if i that about min rest period rarther than max working hours so,
I need a min of 3 nine hour rests and 2 twelve hour rest in my fixed week mon - fri :smiley:

dog27:
Hi all thanks for your help makes a bit more sence now, if i that about min rest period rarther than max working hours so,
I need a min of 3 nine hour rests and 2 twelve hour rest in my fixed week mon - fri :smiley:

Well not quite :wink:

If you work 5 days Monday to Friday you should have no more than three 9 hour daily rest periods and at least two 11 hour daily rest periods.

If you do not work Monday to Friday then you should have no more than three 9 hour daily rest periods between weekly rest periods and the other days you should have at least 11 hours daily rest.

All daily rest periods should be completed within 24 hours from the start of shift.