Working time directive Question.

Hi guys i am working 4 on and 4 off 12 hours shift in a security sector. How many days can i drive class 2 in a week. Every driver out there who i spoke to saying i can work 2 shifts and have 2 days off before i can start my original job is this right? At the moment i am only doing 2 shifts one week and one shift the following week after my 4 shifts finished.

crazyplay:
Hi guys i am working 4 on and 4 off 12 hours shift in a security sector. How many days can i drive class 2 in a week. Every driver out there who i spoke to saying i can work 2 shifts and have 2 days off before i can start my original job is this right? At the moment i am only doing 2 shifts one week and one shift the following week after my 4 shifts finished.

this is not a WTD issue but a drivers hours rest one
WTD for security job and WTD for driving are separate and do not get added together

As long as you have an unbroken 45 hours off every other week and at least 24 unboken off in the non 45 off weeks then you are legal for the weekly rests
You also have to watch that you do not do more than 144 hours between any two weekly rests
you also have to ensure that the total between any shifts which include LGV driving do not exceed 9 hours

Hi rog thanks for the reply i am still at early stages of learning everything and asking random drivers for help all the time. Let me ask one more question from you. As long as i am having 45 hours unintrupted break every week means i am not doing security job neither i am doing any driving and do only 2 days driving total 18 hours driving in 2 days am i allowed to do that? For example 4 nights my security work then straight 2 nights driving and have 2 nights off and then start my next 4 night shift of security. Am i allowed to do that?

crazyplay:
Hi rog thanks for the reply i am still at early stages of learning everything and asking random drivers for help all the time. Let me ask one more question from you. As long as i am having 45 hours unintrupted break every week means i am not doing security job neither i am doing any driving and do only 2 days driving total 18 hours driving in 2 days am i allowed to do that? For example 4 nights my security work then straight 2 nights driving and have 2 nights off and then start my next 4 night shift of security. Am i allowed to do that?

You could do that, but remember you need to start the 45 hour weekly rest period no later that 144 hours from the start of your first shift.

For instance if you start your normal job at 18:00 Wednesday you would need to be finished the 2 driving shifts no later than 18:00 the following Tuesday, obviously this won’t be a problem if you’re doing 2 driving job nights immediately after 4 security job nights.

Doing this shift pattern regularly would mean that after about 10 or 11 weeks your weekly rest period would not be able to be counted for the required week so you would have to have an extra day off to bring your weekly rest periods in-line with the fixed weeks.

Basically you must have a weekly rest period each week, week means midnight Sunday to midnight the following Sunday.

As above answer - doing a 6 on - 2 off shift pattern means it will eventually get to a point where 3 days off is needed

Thanks for the reply, plenty of stuff is flying over me head at this present moment its just because everyone is having different opinion at work one thing is certain i dont do more than 144 hours in 2 weeks thats including my security job and driving job put together as driving job is only 8 to 9 hours long each shift. Rather than me complicating myself with 2 on every week after my 4 off shift. Would it be better if i do 2 shifts after my one sets of 4 security job and on next 4 shift of my security job i only do 1 shift which gives me 3 days off the following week? I only wanna save money for me class 1 and at the same time get some road experience as it isnt easy to drive on roads with all these cars cutting right in front of you in small gaps. Last reply lads just need a little bit of correction and help thanks for all the replies though so far.

Crazy play, Rog, Tacho, I have a similar issue which has bought up a further prob. I work mon-frid, non tacho driving and office work. I get the 45 hour rest every two weeks so will only lgv drive every other Saturday or Sunday with occasional bank hols and spare hols.
My issue, I worked this Saturday, next shift bank hol Monday (so I get over 4 hours) what do I do for manual entries for the previous weeks?
Crazy do you enter all your shift and other work and breaks? This would tak an age!!
I’ve been advise enter rest from finishing Saturday till Monday am, then Monday am to Friday pm Question mark, then rest, the on tacho come bank hol?
Plus I will keep a full manual record in a note pad?
How’s that sound VOSA wise?
Thanks

crazyplay:
Thanks for the reply, plenty of stuff is flying over me head at this present moment its just because everyone is having different opinion at work one thing is certain i dont do more than 144 hours in 2 weeks thats including my security job and driving job put together as driving job is only 8 to 9 hours long each shift. Rather than me complicating myself with 2 on every week after my 4 off shift. Would it be better if i do 2 shifts after my one sets of 4 security job and on next 4 shift of my security job i only do 1 shift which gives me 3 days off the following week? I only wanna save money for me class 1 and at the same time get some road experience as it isnt easy to drive on roads with all these cars cutting right in front of you in small gaps. Last reply lads just need a little bit of correction and help thanks for all the replies though so far.

The 144 hours is the max time between two weekly rests and has nothing to do with hours worked

You could do 4+2 with 2 off then 4+1 with 3 off as an ongoing pattern but you would be missing out on a few driving shifts

spacemanZ10:
Crazy play, Rog, Tacho, I have a similar issue which has bought up a further prob. I work mon-frid, non tacho driving and office work. I get the 45 hour rest every two weeks so will only lgv drive every other Saturday or Sunday with occasional bank hols and spare hols.
My issue, I worked this Saturday, next shift bank hol Monday (so I get over 4 hours) what do I do for manual entries for the previous weeks?
Crazy do you enter all your shift and other work and breaks? This would tak an age!!
I’ve been advise enter rest from finishing Saturday till Monday am, then Monday am to Friday pm Question mark, then rest, the on tacho come bank hol?
Plus I will keep a full manual record in a note pad?
How’s that sound VOSA wise?
Thanks

Sorry but I’ve no idea what you mean by “(so I get over 4 hours)” :confused:

Anyway, when you put your driver card in do any manual entries that’s needed for the end of the last shift on a digital tachograph and the start of the current shift and record all the time between with the ? symbol.

If you don’t need to enter anything manually for the end of the last shift or the start of the current shift just use the ? symbol for the whole time since the driver card was last ejected.

Do not under any circumstances try to manually enter into a digital tachograph all your work records for your usual job, it’s unnecessary, apart from that it will take ages and there’s a high likelihood of mistakes.

Thanks Tacho will just use ? . When I said get 4hrs it should have read 45hrs as the rest period for the two week period. Many thanks again.

Thanks the reply Rog, i know what you have said is right about missing out on shifts basically its all to do with driving hours i am struggling with i just want to keep out of vosa stuff. Spaceman i dont know how to do manual entry on tacho yet i just put the card in and let it do its automatic thing and by end of my shift i just print out what i have done for the shift but i will be asking drivers to teach me how to do manual entry as i aint got a baldy clue. Its only the beginning for me as i am very confused basically and every driver is coming up with different idealogy in reality

Crazy, manual entries aren’t hard, I picked it up quick, and you may need to do them to cover the end of a shift? As Rog said though the ? Entry sounds useful to cover time away and other days non driving work. Good luck you will be fine I’m sure.