Working shifts

Any views on working 4 on 4 off driving shifts plz !

sayley-boy:

Only at work for half of the year,id love it if i had the chance,any shift aswell,if you strapped for cash look at the extra shifts you could do if you fancied it :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

If it’s two days/two nights/four off then it’s THE best shift pattern available. I used to do it and unlike other patterns, you’ll be back into normal routine within a day. There will be hardly any effects from working only two nights when you come off.

Id jump at the chance of 4 on 4 off :smiley:

its great for time off,once you start your 4 then they fly in,and its a great 4 off,but remember your weekly wage ■■■■■ when you calculate it all out over the year.

dieseldog999:
its great for time off,once you start your 4 then they fly in,and its a great 4 off,but remember your weekly wage ■■■■■ when you calculate it all out over the year.

I’m currently on a four on four off shift pattern and while the time off is nice, the weekly wage does indeed ■■■■ big time! once it’s calculated over the year, hence why I’m leaving it:lol:

and as for doing extra shift while your off, well that’s defeating the purpose of all your time off this shift pattern affords, as you’ll end up working 60 and 72 hours a week just to get a living wage, which is what everyone else is complaining about anyway lol.
I know this because I’m doing it and you end up more knackered than if you were tramping.

If you have plenty of money behind you and don’t need any extra then this shift pattern will suit you down to the ground, if not, then don’t bother as you’ll be even more strapped for cash and end up working silly hours a week anyway.

i loved 4 on 4 off and would jump back at the chance dont worry about the weekly wage just look at the yearly salary!

not to mention 8 days holiday gives you 20 days off!

Centauri:
I’m currently on a four on four off shift pattern and while the time off is nice, the weekly wage does indeed ■■■■ big time! once it’s calculated over the year, hence why I’m leaving it:lol:

Where I did 4 on 4 off we were the best paid in the place per hour, being on about £3/hr more than the drivers on a normal 5 day week. You should be no worse off than someone doing the industry average 55hr week because of the fact you work weekends.

Conor:

Centauri:

Where I did 4 on 4 off we were the best paid in the place per hour, being on about £3/hr more than the drivers on a normal 5 day week. You should be no worse off than someone doing the industry average 55hr week because of the fact you work weekends.

As it happens i get no extra money for working weekends at all :open_mouth: or bank holidays!! no one does at our firm, it’s a logistics company, not a haulage firm I work at, which might explain a few things.
So for working four twelve hour shifts it averages out at 39.7 a week over the year.

The wage is still bad, but not so bad on long months (if that makes any sense lol) but this month (November)is a short month so I will only take home around £1280 after tax

Hence I’m getting my ■■■■ outta there quick :laughing:

sayley-boy:

Terrible shift, 4 on 3 off is better:)

Thanks everybody for your replies :smiley:

I’ve just started a 4 on 4 off (nights) and they pay us the same every week whether we worked 3 or 4 in the previous week’s 7 days. It’s all averaged out form a yearly salary.

I’ve calculated that the number of hours worked weekly (within the normal 7 day week) is 39.5 when averaged across the year.

Also, when I book 4 days off, these days are preceded and followed by 4 off. So in effect I’m off for 12 days, and I can do that 5 times a year.

The downside is that I’ll work 50% of my weekends over the course of a year. But that’s the price you pay for so much time off.

Oh, and I’m about £30 down per week from when I was working 55-60 hours. That’s a very acceptable wage drop for clawing back almost 20 hours a week of time, and there are always little adjustments which can be made to offset that anyway. Or, 10 overtime shifts per year will make that back up.

The job’s crap though.

dont forget bank holidays may end up being worked as well. They should be added on to your holiday entitlement. But depending who you’re working for, they could be paid at normal rate.

Turbo:
dont forget bank holidays may end up being worked as well. They should be added on to your holiday entitlement. But depending who you’re working for, they could be paid at normal rate.

correct. As I posted earlier I’m on 4 on 4 off and bank holidays are paid at normal rate at our company, also you will find that the weekends you work are paid at normal rate as well.

But, you’ll spend almost 7 months of the year not being at work :smiley:

ezydriver:
But, you’ll spend almost 7 months of the year not being at work :smiley:

Yes and 12 months of the year being skint :wink: :laughing: