Working over Christmas

Nite Owl:

Conor:
Is it too much to ask to have just two days off a year for everyone for non-critical stuff? Personally I see companies that do this as run by money grabbing [zb] and the fact you think you’re being generous by letting them have their wives and kids spend their Xmas jammed into the seats in ■■■■■■ vans and buying them a beer when I’m sure they’d rather be at home seeing the rest of their family as well just solidifies my opinion of you as a deluded money grabbing [zb].

For those of us without families, christmas can be a very difficult time. Personally I would jump at the chance to work it and get the [zb] away from all the fake, enforced, happy family [zb] that we’re incessantly being force fed at this time of year. In fact, I’d almost be tempted to work for free just for the sense of normality.

Get a job on the rail then,but don’t be working for free it’s a grand a shift :smiley:

Conor:
Is it too much to ask to have just two days off a year for everyone for non-critical stuff? Personally I see companies that do this as run by money grabbing [zb] and the fact you think you’re being generous by letting them have their wives and kids spend their Xmas jammed into the seats in ■■■■■■ vans and buying them a beer when I’m sure they’d rather be at home seeing the rest of their family as well just solidifies my opinion of you as a deluded money grabbing [zb].

A bit harsh and personal like you know him
Everybody has there own way of getting past the mayhem
If the drivers are doing it they must be getting very well paid also for the family to also agree it must be top dollar
Every employer would have you working all over Christmas if they were let

Conor:

Certain jobs can only be done on holidays. I’m working from today right through to 29th then 3 days off and back again. Unfortunately the traveling public don’t like us closing the rail lines to do repairs and improvements on normal midweek days, so we have to do them at quiet times.

We’re paid very well for giving up our time, and if I wasn’t able to work xmas then I wouldn’t have a job!!

I remember many years ago working over Christmas on the continent, the last delivery was a supermarket in Strasbourg 13.00 Christmas eve
I then made my way back to rungus in Paris got a few hours kip then went looking for a phone to ring home Christmas morning, during my rambling i met a guy who worked with Irish country meats and he invited me to come back to his trailer after i made the call
When i got back to the trailer there was 3 trucks and trailers from the same company parked together
They had their wife’s with them no kids and they had one trailer decked out on the inside with pallets at table hight with Christmas table cloths and candles Christmas crackers bottles of wine then they had the ceiling of the trailer spread out with Christmas chains
The grub was a cold buffet of Turkey and ham with a few trimmings and puddings for afters
I did get paid very very well for the job and I had a Christmas i would never forget it was a great day

Quinny:

WheelsofCardiff:
Am on the road over Christmas i looked at the money and could not say no.

There is more to life than money sometimes though. Family life is as important imo.

Ken.

I know but my missus family are coming to my place i cant stand them.From day one they never liked me .I have tried being sensible with them till now in my mid 40s i live for myself and the kids.The last straw was last time they came to my place he bumped into my car on the driveway and said its only a car.The car was brand new.He never apologised and my missus family all took his side.That ■■■■■■ me off i never talked to them.So i would rather work than spend time with them.My teenage girl is even coming to work with me she cant be in the same room with them.

Off until January me,that’s the bonus of working for a small container operator.
I know many lads on general haulage that are been run to the last minute Xmas eve and either back Friday the 27th or getting pushed in to working Boxing Day,
Nothing and I mean nothing in general haulage is that urgent it’s a joke in my opinion.
Lads on the milk,medical supplies etc fair enough but my mate delivers that cheap pop to lidls and is having 1 day off as the boss says it’s imperative the pop gets there :imp:

Unfortunately medical trailers still need moving, as a single guy though im not bothered, got new years off so that’s my party.

WheelsofCardiff:

Quinny:

WheelsofCardiff:

There is more to life than money sometimes though. Family life is as important imo.

Ken.

I know but my missus family are coming to my place i cant stand them.From day one they never liked me .I have tried being sensible with them till now in my mid 40s i live for myself and the kids.The last straw was last time they came to my place he bumped into my car on the driveway and said its only a car.The car was brand new.He never apologised and my missus family all took his side.That ■■■■■■ me off i never talked to them.So i would rather work than spend time with them.My teenage girl is even coming to work with me she cant be in the same room with them.

Good grief mate they sound terrible people,

WheelsofCardiff:

Quinny:

WheelsofCardiff:

Ken.

You must be easy to roll over, who owns the house? The family or you? I would have called the police as soon as he took a sip of your sherry. [emoji14]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Conor:

As these are almost certainly Convoi Exceptionnel loads, I would imagine that the permitted movement times have been dictated by the relevant authorities and have been timed to move when the roads are at their quietest. If you choose to work for a company doing this type of work then you pretty much accept that as a given.

WheelsofCardiff:
Am on the road over Christmas i looked at the money and should’ve said no.

*Fixed that for you [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

If you were asked to work and you would if the price was right, what would be your price, or is there a never never there

Wheel Nut:

WheelsofCardiff:

Quinny:

WheelsofCardiff:

Ken.

You must be easy to roll over, who owns the house? The family or you? I would have called the police as soon as he took a sip of your sherry. [emoji14]

Its mine and the missus .You know the Jeremy Kyle type of people who dont give a toss…The mother has twisted the other half to host them.She is ■■■■■■ off the kids wont be there.The other 2 have volunteeted at a hospital .I have told her they should be out of the house by 6.

Ken.
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Its mine and the missus .You know the Jeremy Kyle type of people who dont give a toss…The mother has twisted the other half to host them.She is ■■■■■■ off the kids wont be there.The other 2 have volunteeted at a hospital .I have told her they should be out of the house by 6.
[/quote]
Simple throw the wife out then you don’t have a problem more Christmas at home
That’s if reading it right that she took there side with the car
If she did I would have drowned her years ago

I’ve got 10 working Christmas Day. Mainly parked up in Europe ready to unload hanging meat on Boxing Day. All volunteers. All get extra for doing it. 4 in Spain. 2 in Italy. 1 in South of France. 2 in Germany. 1 in Austria. Some people don’t like Christmas and want to work for Various reason. Single or maybe Chasing the £££. Each to their own. Shouldn’t criticise someone’s choice to work just because you don’t want to.

WhiteWhiteWhite:
I’ve got 10 working Christmas Day. Mainly parked up in Europe ready to unload hanging meat on Boxing Day. All volunteers. All get extra for doing it. 4 in Spain. 2 in Italy. 1 in South of France. 2 in Germany. 1 in Austria. Some people don’t like Christmas and want to work for Various reason. Single or maybe Chasing the £££. Each to their own. Shouldn’t criticise someone’s choice to work just because you don’t want to.

What most people don’t understand is in mainland Europe Christmas is a few hours on the day and that’s it
They don’t close for even a few days like uk and Ireland
It’s a eye opener thinking every where does as we do but no it’s totally different
Home for dinner on the day and then back to work if you have to
It’s a celebration of a day there not a summer holiday like 2 weeks

Used to work most Christmases on coaches doing tours to various European places and loved it. Worked first Christmas at Virginia, they paid double trip money for it back then and it paid for a fancy holiday to California BUT spending Christmas day in a closed Spanish truck stop was one of the most depressing days of my entire life and I’ve not worked Christmas day since! I think it would be ok if kept busy, I.e on milk its just another full working day but spending the day off waiting to tip boxing day was just grim!

When i started going over the water i was single and i didn’t care where i was or what time of the year it was and i didn’t care about extra pay or anything like that, it was just about enjoying the life and going to as many different places as possible…

Nothing better than parking up in a foreign country and not having to talk to anybody…if you didn’t want to…[emoji16][emoji16]

Oh well that’s the memories over with as good as they were as its all about being home with the wife and pursuing my hobby…

Nowadays i book as much time off over xmas/new year as possible, not because i like this time of year but because my wife and the kids/grandkids do, oh how times change…

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

switchlogic:
Used to work most Christmases on coaches doing tours to various European places and loved it. Worked first Christmas at Virginia, they paid double trip money for it back then and it paid for a fancy holiday to California BUT spending Christmas day in a closed Spanish truck stop was one of the most depressing days of my entire life and I’ve not worked Christmas day since! I think it would be ok if kept busy, I.e on milk its just another full working day but spending the day off waiting to tip boxing day was just grim!

Pull the udder one.
Sorry, couldn’t resist it.

eurotrans:

Nite Owl:

Conor:

For those of us without families, christmas can be a very difficult time. Personally I would jump at the chance to work it and get the [zb] away from all the fake, enforced, happy family [zb] that we’re incessantly being force fed at this time of year. In fact, I’d almost be tempted to work for free just for the sense of normality.

Get a job on the rail then,but don’t be working for free it’s a grand a shift :smiley:

Judging by your response to a grand a shift being big money,guess you haven’t been on rail job that long?
A lot are just paying double time on ten hours n £4/500 nr bonus this year,going back twenty years was £1440 shift,