Working on prescription drugs

I have a slight issue at the moment. Bit of background.

Was suffering from mild sciatica about a month ago. Was but on diclofenac. Got worse over the following weekend so tried co codamol while I was off. Didn’t make me drowsy so happy days, back to work on the monday. Kept getting progressivly worse up to last sunday. Couldn’t move and got signed off. Because a load of other pain killers won’t touch the pain been put on morphine. The only problem is finding the dose that works for me. Until I can get a scan and see consultant. At the moment I’m a risk because I can’t get enough pressure on brake peddle to stop.

Now, My question is, should I go back to work when the right dose is found, or not because of safety reasons? I miss work as it is and only been off a week. Also don’t get sick pay.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Can’t use the brakes! What do YOU think? Painkillers only mask the pain…Not cure the problem.

Your GP will tell you when it’s safe. If you happen to think that he’s being over-cautious, get a second opinion.

Would you mind explaining how it is that you are not entitled to SSP, assuming you’re not self-employed?

Only on my first week off and mrs is keeping me busy. So not looked into it yet. However,I believe I am. Will look into ssp now. And going to local council to find out about my part of rent etc.

I just get really bored and with mobility being an issue, can’t go far. And definately can’t drive.

Has that actually answered the question or is it just a ramble? Lol

By looks of it I am entitled to ssp. Having never been off for more than a couple of days before, this is all new.

Looked gov.uk and it doesn’t say if it’s paid automatically.

Any ideas?
Cheers in advance

You will get SSP and its worth seeing the citizens advice bureau to see what other help I available to you.

You’ve admitted you have trouble applying pressure to the brakes when you’re on medication. Because of this you shouldn’t drive until your doctor says you can. If you we’re to have an accident and you know you have restricted mobility then the law would come down pretty hard on you.

theantbox:
By looks of it I am entitled to ssp. Having never been off for more than a couple of days before, this is all new.

Looked gov.uk and it doesn’t say if it’s paid automatically.

Any ideas?
Cheers in advance

It’s normally paid after 7 continuous days off. Ask your doctor/consultant for a sick note (they will specify the duration of how long it is valid for) take this to your employer who then pays you. After the sick note expires you’re either fit to work or you need to get a new one issued.

Thats why I thought best get signed off. And won’t even touch my car. Doc signed me off for 2 weeks as soon as I said its about time. Initially said no, because I had no problems in mobility, but like I say, it got a lot worse.

I mean, I’d rather not hide anything and be upfront. If DVLA read this, not an issue.

I spoke to doc about it and I think he knows I’d rather be out on the road.

When the dose is right, got to look at side effects. Does morphine make me drowsy, trip out, etc. If no, back to work I go. If yes, basically I’m buggered.

On a lighter note, perhaps I should ‘be more dog’ :smiley:

From the gov.uk site here

You can get £86.70 per week Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) if you’re too ill to work. It’s paid by your employer for up to 28 weeks.

You need to qualify for SSP and have been off work sick for 4 or more days in a row (including non-working days).

You can’t get less than the statutory amount. You can get more if your company has a sick pay scheme (or ‘occupational scheme’) - check your employment contract.

Dav1d:
From the gov.uk site here

You can get £86.70 per week Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) if you’re too ill to work. It’s paid by your employer for up to 28 weeks.

You need to qualify for SSP and have been off work sick for 4 or more days in a row (including non-working days).

You can’t get less than the statutory amount. You can get more if your company has a sick pay scheme (or ‘occupational scheme’) - check your employment contract.

Thats where I looked. So it should be automatically paid.

And meant buggered as in can’t go back to work.

Sorry if it seems like people are chasing there tail trying to explain. I just struggle to get my head round somethings on gov.uk website. Could be worded better for numpties like myself.

You’ve admitted you have trouble applying pressure to the brakes when you’re on medication.

I read your OP slightly different, is it your lower back pain or the meds which cause you to struggle while braking? I know from experience hoofing the brake with a bad back hurts.

Because of this you shouldn’t drive until your doctor says you can.

With the best will in the world I can’t see any medical professional “signing you off” as safe to drive whilst on regular morphine doses as the side effects vary and are not 100% predictable. If you have a bump and say that the quack said I was okay to drive that may put the ball in their court somewhat. (May be wrong, obviously). Having said that it’s not illegal to drive on prescribed morphine (or any other strong painkiller) but you are responsible for judging whether or not you are fit to drive.

If the right dose can be found and you’re sure there’s no drowsiness, loss of concentration etc then, personally, I’d carry on.

Hope it works out, as a side note you could mention ‘Naproxen’ to your doc, sorted my back out from similar. Non drowsy and regular opiates are never a good thing.

DearBoy:

You’ve admitted you have trouble applying pressure to the brakes when you’re on medication.

I read your OP slightly different, is it your lower back pain or the meds which cause you to struggle while braking? I know from experience hoofing the brake with a bad back hurts.

Because of this you shouldn’t drive until your doctor says you can.

With the best will in the world I can’t see any medical professional “signing you off” as safe to drive whilst on regular morphine doses as the side effects vary and are not 100% predictable. If you have a bump and say that the quack said I was okay to drive that may put the ball in their court somewhat. (May be wrong, obviously). Having said that it’s not illegal to drive on prescribed morphine (or any other strong painkiller) but you are responsible for judging whether or not you are fit to drive.

If the right dose can be found and you’re sure there’s no drowsiness, loss of concentration etc then, personally, I’d carry on.

Hope it works out

Its the back pain, not drugs that make mobility difficult. Was taken off all the meds because they weren’t strong enough, so been replaced with a low dose of morphine, which will gradually be built up.

I seem to have no side effects on any meds I’ve taken so far. So hopefully this will be same. Of course will get ok from doc first, and probably go for a couple of test runs in my car first (with the mrs, just in case she has to take over) to make sure I’m ok. If that makes sense…?

If your Doctor has prescribed you Morphine then they have to declare it to DVA. I’m on Morphine patches and have been for about 2 years. I had to go through numerous tests to get my licence back including doing a sleep study,blood tests,blood pressure,heart tests,etc etc. luckily I passed them but it was rough at times. Just be careful you don’t end up losing your licence for ever. I suppose I was lucky and was told by the OHS doctor that if I had been taking Morphine orally then I wasn’t getting my licence back. Patches are designed to administer a certain amount of Morphine over a 72 hour period and therefore can be controlled also Morphine is a generic name. Morphine comes in many different strengths and types. Just be careful what your doctor prescribes you and ask questions about alternatives. Good luck

the fub:
If your Doctor has prescribed you Morphine then they have to declare it to DVA. I’m on Morphine patches and have been for about 2 years. I had to go through numerous tests to get my licence back including doing a sleep study,blood tests,blood pressure,heart tests,etc etc. luckily I passed them but it was rough at times. Just be careful you don’t end up losing your licence for ever. I suppose I was lucky and was told by the OHS doctor that if I had been taking Morphine orally then I wasn’t getting my licence back. Patches are designed to administer a certain amount of Morphine over a 72 hour period and therefore can be controlled also Morphine is a generic name. Morphine comes in many different strengths and types. Just be careful what your doctor prescribes you and ask questions about alternatives. Good luck

Cheers for your input bud.

I’m on low dose slow release tablets combined with oramorph till we can find right dose. Then should be off the oramorph. I’d really like not to lose my licence as only had it 2 years and really enjoy my job. Doc hasn’t mentioned anything about having licence revoked… Yet. But then again hoping I’ll only be on it short term.

Mine is slightly different have a fractured back prolapsed disc etc ( it is in the family health forum if you look )

Had my licence revoked a few years back had to jump through hoops to get it back had to fight DVLA medical section more than once not easy but done it

Ask you Dr about pain management they may be able to speed thing up a little & also try different medication to the morphine

Good luck with it

Yay. Finally letting me post.

Was on co codamol, diclofenac, gabapentin, nefopam and something else before. They weren’t touching the pain so on morphine now.

Hoping not to be on it too long.

Likelihood of keeping licence is looking slim then, do you reckon?

Thanks for the replies peeps. This info is helpful.

P.s Animal, will look on the health forum. Never noticed it before, otherwise would have posted in there. Lol

theantbox:

Was on co codamol, diclofenac, gabapentin, nefopam and something else before. They weren’t touching the pain so on morphine now.

P.s Animal, will look on the health forum. Never noticed it before, otherwise would have posted in there. Lol

Depends on how the Morphine is administrated. ie in tablet, liquid or patch form plus what type of Morphine you’re on. I’m on Fentynal which is type of Morphine (Morphine is a generic name) and Fentynal is 13 times stronger than normal morphine. I got my licence back but it was a long hard struggle and even had to reduce the dose age. :cry:
Good luck with your licence but if you’re only on Morphine for a short while then keeping your licence shouldn’t be a problem :smiley:

the fub:

theantbox:

Depends on how the Morphine is administrated. ie in tablet, liquid or patch form plus what type of Morphine you’re on. I’m on Fentynal which is type of Morphine (Morphine is a generic name) and Fentynal is 13 times stronger than normal morphine. I got my licence back but it was a long hard struggle and even had to reduce the dose age. :cry:
Good luck with your licence but if you’re only on Morphine for a short while then keeping your licence shouldn’t be a problem :smiley:

Thanks for your input everybody.

Had a reply written out the other day, but the forum wouldn’t let me post it. :open_mouth:

Anyway, slow release tablets, twice a day and topped up with oramorph until we get the dose right. Hopefully only on it till consultant sorts me out, if he does. I’m not even driving my car still because I can’t get comfortable enough. Even so, can’t wait to get back to work.

Again, thanks for all replies and advice. Much appreciated.