Working on holidays

Hi. I. Employed full time, I haven’t had holidays yet which runs from January to January as I am trying to save some money at the moment.

My company have asked twice about me booking some holiday, if I can’t afford to go somewhere and I am trying to save money it is just pointless at this time for me to be seating at home(don’t get me wrong I love a good holiday somewhere nice but unfortunately right now this is not the best for me) so I asked my tm if I could do some agency work and they told me no as I am contracted by them. I usually follow the policies etc but I don’t think is right for them to tell me I am not allowed to make some extra money.
Thinking about getting a van job or some analogue taco.

Does anyone knows any alternative for this?
Much appreciated

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Take the holidays. Don’t burn yourself out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do yourself a favour and have a weeks holiday you’ll still get paid, in the long run it won’t do you any good working week in week out.

If you don’t take your holidays, it will get to the stage where your company will allocate them to you anyway. They are completely entitled to do this. Use them or loose them basically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As the others have said take your holidays, at the year end you will lose them so will have worked 28 days for free and then use the time to sort your finances out or find a better paid job.

Take every day of your holiday your entitled to mate. Little things about every job wind you up over a period of time, a few days away and coming back fresh makes a world of difference to your stress levels and life in general.

There’s a self employed agency guy at my place who never ever has time off and he is the angriest guy you will ever meet. Throws his teddy out of the pram for the smallest petty thing. He might take a few quid a week home extra than the rest of us over the year - but won’t be able to spend it in the grave yard once he’s pushing up daisies. One way trip to a heart attack.

When I was at stobarts they gave you a extra 5 days hols after 5 years service , you were told you could sell those holidays instead of taking them if you so wished , I was over the moon and enjoyed my extra 5 days off , but I know loads who sold them as apparently they had no need for them ( I offered to take them off there hands if they didn’t want.
I just don’t get this as op says , I’d be sat around at home , zb me this country’s becoming a nation of idle zb who’d rather sit on there ■■■ , rather than go for a stroll down the pub , going out for a bike ride and drop off at the pub for a pint , have a drive to the Coast and have a pint, you really don’t have to sit on setee , get out and enjoy yourself

Just to be the awkward one…I’m quite in favour of having holidays if people want them, but some of us just aren’t that fussed.

Since 1991, apart from Xmas shutdown, I’ve had three one week holidays. I’m one of the calmest people you’ll meet. TBH, when I have had a holiday and gone somewhere, I find myself wondering why, what’s the point. i’m happier with some long weekends.

A bloke I work with never takes any holiday. My manager allocates him some every year.

Don’t get it myself. Need some downtime after a while.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I work month and month about and while the first week of the four I have off is nice but then the boredom sets in and I’m itching to get to work again doing anything and not neccesarily my own job.

Work to live,
DO NOT under any circumstances
Live to Work!! !!

Would take 50 holiday days a year if I could get away with it,
Life’s too short!!!

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

What are going to gain by not taking your holiday entitlement and working :question: :question:
Answer NOTHING,like most driving jobs your hours fluctuate, therefore you are entitled to an average holiday pay based on the previous 12 weeks, if your off sick for a week in that 12 then it goes back a week earlier to 13
Why work if you are getting your average pay for staying at home,alright you cant afford to go away stay at home catch up on the things you dont have time for when you working,no brainer for me.

albion:
Just to be the awkward one…I’m quite in favour of having holidays if people want them, but some of us just aren’t that fussed.

Since 1991, apart from Xmas shutdown, I’ve had three one week holidays. I’m one of the calmest people you’ll meet. TBH, when I have had a holiday and gone somewhere, I find myself wondering why, what’s the point. i’m happier with some long weekends.

Have to agree, if I am off I try to get some driving or farm work to do, as I get a bit stir crazy. When I started driving I only had an entitlement of 10 days a year.

Everyone is different…

Well I’m lucky enough to get 40 odd days holiday or lieu a year and I could do with more at times, even if you have a few days off at home that’s better than working in my eyes and I’m perfectly happy in my job. I think with some folks work becomes a habit and a way of life .

Big Truck:
Work to live,
DO NOT under any circumstances
Live to Work!! !!

Would take 50 holiday weeks a year if I could get away with it,
Life’s too short!!!

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

FTFY :grimacing:

Could it be with some people that their wage is made up of allowances on top of hourly rates which bumps it all up and when they take holiday they only get the basic? Surely no one wants to work more than they have to! Lol

It should be like truckstops/cafes…USE IT …OR LOSE IT… IF they said, all holidays are no longer to be paid for, everyone will be up in arms…its your fault if your in financial straights…and need to work for an agency in your holidays…sit at home…twiddle your thumbs…but it IS their perogative to stop you working for an agency…they are paying you to take a holiday…

If you read the OP he states he wants to do agency work while on holiday from his employer to make some extra cash, probably due to one of several reasons, and his employer has said NO because in the T’s & C’s he is contracted to only work for his employer. Which no doubt leaves him with a problem of ignoring his employer and doing the agency work and risk disciplinary action as the hours will show up on his card, or actually taking time off and not earning a little extra money