Working in the Transport Office

Hi guys,

First time poster here. I’m not actually a driver, but I’m looking for advice from you guys having read the forum for several months silently now.

I’ve worked in marketing for just under three years since graduating, but find it pretty boring- its sitting behind a desk doing pretty repetitive stuff and arguing with people full of their own self importance and opinion. I’m looking for a change of career altogether and have always found fleet and logistics/supply chain fascinating- it affects pretty much everything in life.

I don’t have the patience to become a driver- I’ve done 25k a year driving for the past 7 years and find other road users irritate me too much, so I’d probably be drivin crazy doing 3/4 times that. However planning what goes where and how it gets there sounds appealing to me, and trouble shooting last minute problems/unforseen circumstances is something I’m pretty good at.

I’ve seen a fair bit of negativity on the forum about planners and general bods working in the office. I wondered if you guys could tell me what you think makes a good planner/office dude, and what makes a bad one?

Thanks

xpc91:
Hi guys,

First time poster here. I’m not actually a driver, but I’m looking for advice from you guys having read the forum for several months silently now.

I’ve worked in marketing for just under three years since graduating, but find it pretty boring- its sitting behind a desk doing pretty repetitive stuff and arguing with people full of their own self importance and opinion. I’m looking for a change of career altogether and have always found fleet and logistics/supply chain fascinating- it affects pretty much everything in life.

I don’t have the patience to become a driver- I’ve done 25k a year driving for the past 7 years and find other road users irritate me too much, so I’d probably be drivin crazy doing 3/4 times that. However planning what goes where and how it gets there sounds appealing to me, and trouble shooting last minute problems/unforseen circumstances is something I’m pretty good at.

I’ve seen a fair bit of negativity on the forum about planners and general bods working in the office. I wondered if you guys could tell me what you think makes a good planner/office dude, and what makes a bad one?

Thanks

Your not a driver you don’t have the patience to become a driver and you find driving irritating.

You find trouble shooting etc is something your pretty good at.

I kid you not don’t go there you won’t have any thanks as you’ll be the one behind the desk that becomes a company yes sir no sir man

I hate you already.

I have thought about being a planner.

Then again…I have also thought about strangling planners too. Slowly.

nick2008:

xpc91:
Hi guys,

Thanks

Your not a driver you don’t have the patience to become a driver and you find driving irritating.

You find trouble shooting etc is something your pretty good at.

I kid you not don’t go there you won’t have any thanks as you’ll be the one behind the desk that becomes a company yes sir no sir man

I should mention I think understand the difficulties drivers have- I’m not under the illusion that its an easy job and I’m aware of the countless rules and restrictions and ridiculous expectations placed on drivers.

I should clarify- I love driving, but when its for work and I’m stuck in jams I get agitated with people who don’t know how to behave (no problem with speeding or that, its more the ones who can’t change lane properly, drive at stupidly slow speeds or do things which are genuinely just make them appear braindead)

Getting agitated behind the wheel is something we all experience mate. But when you are in charge of 44 tonnes, it’s best to let it wash over you.

If you become a planner, can I strangle you?

eagerbeaver:
Getting agitated behind the wheel is something we all experience mate. But when you are in charge of 44 tonnes, it’s best to let it wash over you.

If you become a planner, can I strangle you?

Can you give me a few weeks to settle in before the strangling? After that… aye feel free!

You should ask yourself one question. Am I a ■■■■■ Going off your opening posts on this forum I highly suspect you are.

Go for it

What makes a good traffic planner is someone who has been a haulage driver first…working from the bottom and working there way up the ladder …nothing worse that having some desk jockey lecturing or is that abusing drivers about how to the job and deliveries… :grimacing:

There is a very simple way to work out if your drivers think you are a good planner or not.

Will they have a beer with you at Christmas party time?

If yes, you are doing alright, if no, you’ve been mentally strangled more times than you’ve pulled your tallywhacker off since puberty…

SuperMultiBlue:
You should ask yourself one question. Am I a [zb]? Going off your opening posts on this forum I highly suspect you are.

Go for it

Would my friends call me a [zb]? Without a shaddow of a doubt! Would I call myself one- only half the time.

Swampey2418:
What makes a good traffic planner is someone who has been a haulage driver first…working from the bottom and working there way up the ladder …nothing worse that having some desk jockey lecturing or is that abusing drivers about how to the job and deliveries… :grimacing:

I’ve never been a haulage driver, but amazingly part of my job in marketing has involved doing deliveries/taking equipment to events, so I’ve plenty experience driving LWB Sprinters and Lutons. Clearly nothing like a 44t arctic, and not delivering for more than 11 hours in one day.

I’m not the lecturing type either… is that a requirement for the job? The only way to learn is to listen to the people on the front line is what I’ve always thought.

Make sure you have a proper map/atlas - don’t use the one in the back of your diary.

Get a swivel chair that fully reclines so that when the awkward questions start you can lean back and stare at the ceiling hoping it’ll all go away.

Realise that the drivers are the ones doing the work and trying to get things done, they’re not in an office photocopying their private parts and arranging “events” at the weekend.

Socketset:
Make sure you have a proper map/atlas - don’t use the one in the back of your diary.

Get a swivel chair that fully reclines so that when the awkward questions start you can lean back and stare at the ceiling hoping it’ll all go away.

Realise that the drivers are the ones doing the work and trying to get things done, they’re not in an office photocopying their private parts and arranging “events” at the weekend.

I assume planners tend to use a proper trucking atlas rather than a typical map or google maps alone?

I come with the swivel chair… the problem is I’m a shortarse so I tend to just end up looking at taller people who are blocking my ceiling view when kicking back at my desk.

Is it normal for planners to work similar shifts to drivers? I’ve actually applied for one role which has a bit of planning and a bit of ‘customer service’, which involves working 12 hour shifts on a rota including nights, backshifts and weekends. This appeals to me, but I’ve only found one or two jobs like this so far…

F-reds:
There is a very simple way to work out if your drivers think you are a good planner or not.

Will they have a beer with you at Christmas party time?

If yes, you are doing alright, if no, you’ve been mentally strangled more times than you’ve pulled your tallywhacker off since puberty…

Strangled? More like ■■■■■■■■■ in a basement

a Planer. That wot we need.
Best send a Mail. but maybe you need to relocate. Either Hatfield,Manchester or Bristol,i rekon.
pcl-transport.com/jobs.aspx

I’ve worked in marketing for just under three years since graduating, but find it pretty boring- its sitting behind a desk doing pretty repetitive stuff and arguing with people full of their own self importance and opinion.

Things won’t change much

I’ve always found the best planners are the ones who let me run the show

It is difficult to be a good planner without experiencing life as a driver. As a graduate you will be familiar with passing exams. Get your C1+e and do a years driving. You will find it less irritating than car driving because you are being paid to sit in a jam. Pass the CPC managers exam.

I don’t think you need driving experience, just a good head with the attuitde to match. Try to be helpful to your drivers, don’t say you’re going to call them back then don’t bother. If you help a driver out, then they’ll help you out.

I’m a shortarse

Oh well then you got a chip/ that hangup on your shoulder before you start… Drivers are gonna love you…NOT… it will probably help when your looking for a hiding place if a driver come wanting to slap the crap out of ya :grimacing: