Working in Germany?

Or Holland for that matter…

What’s the chances of getting work over there…

Don’t speak the lingo but will be on extended vacation in Kiel for the next few months so if there’s not too many hoops ?

The prospects are not good!! The German economy is probably suffering more than any other in Europe at the moment. I moved back from there a while ago and could see all around what was happening; a lot of Poland based companies are getting the transport contracts due their cheaper overheads and proximity to Germany.

Try PM’ing Steve (username BOOST) as he moved over there just before I moved back. It took him quite a while to get a job IIFC.

I lived in Paderborn and a few companies in the surrounding area bailed-out as the future looked grim. The only ones that were doing ‘alright’ in that area were the likes of Oskar Vogel & Massong Spedition but that was because they were concentrating more & more on only doing jobs with a return load and subbing everything else out (after skimming some €’s of the rate!), usually to Polish comapnies.

We liked living there but the economy was not too promising. :unamused: :unamused:

IT all depends on the firm for who you will work for in Germany,added to that your experience,also what have you driven, The wages are not as good as those inthe UK,yes we have more rights and better social system ,but to be honest the MAJORITY OF FIRMS do not run exactly to the letter of the law,TRY looking on the opusforum.de in the international post for transport, there are quite a lot of firms offering jobs mainly from N & S Ireland , you will have to work harder over here to recive the same money as at home,average take home wage for 200hr month is about 1200–1400pounds, for a married man,

Thanks guys…

It’s not a money thing, I very much like Germany and am looking for a way to stay out there longer…

My mate who I’ll be staying with is fluent and would be happy to run with me a week or 2 but he’s not a driver.

So there’s nothing “special” I need then ? Presume my license is valid ? Had it for 2 years mainly tramping uk, but have done many miles in a car around Europe…

Chance or no chance ?

steve where are you going to stay in Germany,do you have ADR for packages and also for tanks, most firms will ask for this ,you say that your experience in Europe is mainly in the car,driveing over here can be hard, you would be better off trying to work for say the british army as a civilian driver ,they do employ civvys a lot or if you are not too bothered what you do they employ
people also inthe security of the buildings,The problem is that knowledge of the language would make the job of getting work much easyier,Why not try Birds or mike beers, curries, as they do germany as well,

I’ll be staying in Kiel, no ADR…

Might check out the brit firms but it’s just casual work I’d be after.

Cheers…