Working in Canada = minimum 2 yrs experience?

No way round this, right? I did hear secondhand that of a bloke needing to “show a year’s worth of wageslips” (yes more complex than this I bet) but I didn’t quite grasp which province he had gone to,

I have always believed that it was 5 years?
It was 5 years back when i immigrated which had to be proven with relevent references.

To satisfy the requirements for an LMO or to go onto the PNP scheme you need 2yrs experience and references for the previous 10yrs, in Manitoba at least, can’t say for the other provinces, but there are people on here from the others, they may know if there are any differences :wink:

In New Brunswick I think they wanted two years experience supported by work references or at least a confirmation from a company that you worked for them for a given period of time etc. When filling in the PNP/PR paperwork they want you to give your work history for the previous ten years or in my case my 18th birthday as I came to Canada when I was 24. I had trouble getting companies to provide me with a letter headed confirmation of work from when I was say 18 or 20 as they’d either got rid of records from that far back or the company no longer existed etc and that was not a problem, a small covering letter to that effect was included in my paper work and it was never questioned.

Thanks for the replies;

So it’d be right to say that documented 1 year on artics + documented 10 years warehouse (unrelated to driving) work isn’t likely to be good enough(?)

What would be the best steps forward to working in Canada - just focus on getting UK experience for a number of years, or would European work be a good avenue? Should I keep copies of my tachos or anything like that? I’m worried that I put time in with a UK employer then get screwed over if they’re reluctant to provide proof of my work.

As I’ve said before, attitude is more important than experience, there are many 20yr veterans out there with one years experience, they just have it twenty times :open_mouth:

I would not let your lack of experience put you off, Canadian drivers start with no experience too, so keep trying :wink:

European experience would be an advantage, not so much for your future employer, but for yourself, getting used to being away for more than a week and spending weekends away will set you up for the way things work over here :wink:

If you can get a start with a company in Canada, then by the time you are close too getting PR, you will have had the two yrs experience, albeit in Canada.

Most Canadian companies require two years experience for insurance reasons, wether your Canadian or a foreigner. Also I think you have to have two (possibly three?) years experience when you apply for your PNP/PR which you would ideally do after six months, and not leave it till the last minute like most Brit’s seem to do around here and then panic. The insurance thing can probably be overlooked if the company choses but the provincial and federal government want to see that you’re trained, qualified and experienced in what you’ve being brought across to do and not essentially a new starter with no experience. If you already have a year just keep on with it while you think and chose carefully about what your next move is and if you do decide to come here, by the time its all arranged and your here you’ll probably have two years or there abouts any way.
As for European experience I wouldnt worry too much, European work with British companies is only one step away from extinction and unless you know someone who works at a company doing that your chances are slim, especially with only one years driving experience. As crazy as it sounds, it will be easier for you to come to Canada and drove throughout the north American continent that it would be to find a job in the UK doing European work. I moved to Canada when I was 24 and did European work since passing my test at 21 but the only reason that happened was because I got a start at the company my dad was at and had been at for 19 years and the boss of the company had promised me a job since the age of 7 when I used to go away with my dad every school holiday, and I held him to his word. However most of the British drivers here I know have never turned a wheel outside of the UK so its not an issue.

^This^ just about sums it up

Best thing to do,is when you get landed status,get out of trucking for good as i did it for 6 years and the money is crap.I now work in an opencast coal mine and paid fairly by the hour,on a 4 on 4 off shift pattern and make a lot more money than i did punching the weeks away on the highway,by the time i get my 20 days holidays next year i will only work 5 months a year and earn over $100,000 a year.

scaniaontheroad:
Best thing to do,is when you get landed status,get out of trucking for good as i did it for 6 years and the money is crap.I now work in an opencast coal mine and paid fairly by the hour,on a 4 on 4 off shift pattern and make a lot more money than i did punching the weeks away on the highway,by the time i get my 20 days holidays next year i will only work 5 months a year and earn over $100,000 a year.

Yeah, nice one, but…then we’d have SFA to complain about on t’interweb :laughing:

scaniaontheroad:

So do you still trawl trucking forums to boast, take the ■■■■ or because you have sfa to do with all your money and time off :laughing: :laughing: