Working Hours

I am new to the site and put a few comments on before. Can someone help with working hours. Before having a go please note I am willing to work hard and long hours.

I was under the impression you can only do 10 hours a day max twice a week. However I see people on this site saying they are working 15hours a day reducing daily rest period down to nine hours which I understand. How can you work this long in a day legally. can this be done. Advice please? Basically my question is how do you legally work more than 9/10 hours a day.

Darrenb:
I am new to the site and put a few comments on before. Can someone help with working hours. Before having a go please note I am willing to work hard and long hours.

I was under the impression you can only do 10 hours a day max twice a week. However I see people on this site saying they are working 15hours a day reducing daily rest period down to nine hours which I understand. How can you work this long in a day legally. can this be done. Advice please? Basically my question is how do you legally work more than 9/10 hours a day.

Driving time is max 10 hours a day twice a week but there are also weekly and two weekly driving time limits

As well as driving time there is also POA break and other work times

The rules on daily and weekly rest restrict what can be done

Some companies, not authorities, also restrict the average of driving time and other work time which can be done by invoking the average working time rules - companies and not drivers are responsible for working that out

Without getting involved in the technicalities, the simple answer is that you can drive 9 hours per day (that’s wheels moving) each day and you can drive up to 10 hours twice a week.

The daily rest is normally 11 hours (giving a possible shift of 13 hours). This can be reduced to 9 hours 3 times a week (this is where the 15 hours comes from).

There are other bits and pieces but I’ll leave it like that cos I think that answers your question.

Bear in mind that the total of driving, other work, POA, breaks and daily rest cannot exceed 24 hours.

Hope this helps without confusing; if you can grasp this much you’ll be ahead of many experienced drivers!!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Pete,

So if I have got this right the 9 hours only refers to driving time and not waiting or break times. therefore if you are just driving for the day and not tipping. You can be out on the road for nine/ten hours plus two 45mins break equalling 10.5 hours/11.5 hours.

However you can also then drive for nine/ten hours have two 45minute breaks max 11.5 hours and then be doing other work ie unloading/ waiting etc for the remaining time upto max of 15 hours (upto three times a week, reducing daily rest period down to nine hours)

Peter Smythe:
The daily rest is normally 11 hours (giving a possible shift of 13 hours). This can be reduced to 9 hours 3 times a week

3 times between weekly rests …

Have I got my part right then?

9 hour drive: 4.5 hrs driving - 45min break - 4.5hrs driving = total 9.45hr shift.
10 hour drive: 4.5hrs drive - 45min break - 4.5hrs drive - 45min - 1hrs drive = 11.30 hr shift

Darrenb:
Have I got my part right then?

Yes I believe you have :smiley:

Most days the maximum spread-over from start to end of the shift is 13 hours, this is because you need an 11 hour daily rest period to be completed within 24 hours from the start of the shift.

Your best plan is to fully understand the daily rest requirements first then move on to understanding how the days work can be split up.

Now lets assume you fully understand the daily rest requirements (let us know if you don’t), The daily rest period can be reduced 3 times between weekly rest periods to 9 hours, this means you can do a maximum of 15 hours from start to end of the shift.
The daily rest period has to be competed within the 24 hour period from the start of the shift, so a 15 hour spread-over and 9 hours reduced daily rest equals 24 hours.

The spread-over can be made up of driving time, other work, breaks and POA, so for instance on a 15 hour spread-over you could do 9 hours driving, 5¼ hours other work and have 45 minutes break, or you might do only 7 hours driving but have to wait say 4 hours for a load, you may also do 4 hours other work if you had a break while waiting to load.

The 13/15 hour spread-over can be made up of a combination of driving, other work, break and POA, there are limitless combinations but you must not do more than 9 hours driving (10 twice a week) and you must have the required driving breaks and WTD breaks.

Why is nothing ever simple :frowning: