Working hours when tramping

Hi,
I’m new and I’m just starting my LGV training so forgive me if any question seems daft. After looking around Ive decided what Id really like to do is tramping to be able to do longer distances that couldn’t be achieved if you had to back at the depot at the end of every shift. Whilst studying for my theory Ive been trying to learn about working time regulations. Please could anyone help, and tell me how working hours work when you are tramping? for example start and finish times, and amount of hours worked?
thanks

The hours rules are the same whether doing day runs or tramping

Dont worry to much about this until you start to work then it will become easier & more clear about it other wise you may just end up confusing yourself

But if not this may be of some use

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=71511

As will this

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44667

Thanks for the links.

If anyone could shed some late on the question in the original post though that would be great, I’m confused with it already so the worst that can happen is confuse it more!

cheers

Trust me wait till you past your test & start work using the hours then it will sort it self out & become easier other wise you will be really confused when you start work

After all I am a woman so listen to your mother :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ok

Mon start 03.00 finish 14.15

Tues start 03.00 - 18.00 night out

Wed 06.45-21.00 night out

Thur 06.00- 16.45 night out

Fri 03.45- 16.45 Home

As took reduced rest last week need to make up this which means I had less than 45 hr break

Rowley010:
Thanks for the links.

If anyone could shed some late on the question in the original post though that would be great, I’m confused with it already so the worst that can happen is confuse it more!

cheers

1st link is the working hours it is all in there if you care to read

The same regulations apply whether you’re tramping or doing day runs, start and finish times vary according to the job your on so I don’t see how anyone can answer that one.

For the working time regulations you can work a maximum of 60 hours per week which must average no more than 48 hours over a reference period of usually 17 or 26 weeks.

Well then Rowley, when you get your head around the hours then things might fit a bit better.

The outer edges of your times are that you can have 3 x 15 hour shifts and 3 x 13 hour shifts, assuming your total working hours doesn’t pass the weekly maximum. Within those days you can have 3 x 9 hour and 2 x 10 hours worth of driving but you might not even max them out either.

Last week, whilst on containers tramping I managed several days where whilst I did almost the max of hours the driving time didn’t max out…

Plus when you pass your test you’ll be more stressed trying to get everything sorted than a regular driver who has had the experience of such things. Planners like you to get the max done and its all rush rush rush…

So yeah, those links Animal posted for the hours. If necessary make up a small card with the bare facts to carry in your wallet to remind yourself of the hours and the like.

But you also don’t want to stick to the rigidity of the 4.5/45/4.5/45/1 model, as you don’t ‘lose’ the time when you take your 45 minutes break, it gets added onto the next driving slot, but that still has a max of 4.5 hours worth of driving.

The thing is, what with all the driving and other work and breaks you can soon run out of duty time as well if you’re not careful…

Either way, good luck :wink:

Thanks everyone. I’m slowly understanding this now. As you say, once I find my first job I realise it will all become clear then…

There are a few people that have put up diaries of their experiences, tramping being some of them and the like that you might like to read. My latest is on LJ but I’ve not posted it here yet… It’s quite long and not enough piccies :astonished:

sounds interesting. You got any links to them?