Working Hours vs Daily Rest

How many times a week can I take a 9 hour daily rest? Can I take a 9 hour rest even if Iโ€™m only driving 9 hours, but working longer?

Help Iโ€™m so confused. The Road Transport Law book is very vague on this. Can someone clarify the rules regarding the Working Day and Daily Rest please. :confused:

Sorry if this has been asked a dozen times previously. I have missed any previous threads. :unamused: :blush:

See VOSA Site

You can reduce your daily rest 3 times and increase the 9 hrs to 10 hours driving twice. It doesnt matter whether you drive 2 hours or 10 but make sure any reduction is made up

I tell you what Pup, get one of them hour guards, and no, I aint a salesman! I just know how easy it all is when you learn to press them buttons, the taco regs are a pain in the proverbial!!

Mal.

Mal:
I tell you what Pup, get one of them hour guards, and no, I aint a salesman! I just know how easy it all is when you learn to press them buttons, the taco regs are a pain in the proverbial!!

Mal.

Yeah, as long as you remember to press said buttons at the correct times and not stop, get out, tip, get back in cab and then see the timer is still running for drive time. I have one myself but donโ€™t use it.

Rob K:

Mal:

Mal.

Yeah, as long as you remember to press said buttons at the correct times and not stop, get out, tip, get back in cab and then see the timer is still running for drive time. I have one myself but donโ€™t use it.

Haha! :laughing: its true Rob, I know, BUT, its also true that IF you remember them buttons, its a dead easy thing to keep your hours straight, yepp?

Mal

In any 24 hr period you can

be on duty for 13 hours (11 hours rest)
this may be increased to 15 hours (9 hours rest) 3 times per week
-but the shortfall ie the two hours difference has to be made up (added to another rest period) by the end of the third week following.

you may drive up to 9 hours per day (which may be increased to 10 hours twice p/w without penalty)

you can also be on duty for 16 hours as long as you have 4 hours rest during this period in breaks of at least 1 hour and the rest at the end of the day must be at least 8 hours long (so in that the total amount of rest actually totals 12 hours)
simple really :open_mouth:

north surrey haulage:
you can also be on duty for 16 hours as long as you have 4 hours rest during this period in breaks of at least 1 hour and the rest at the end of the day must be at least 8 hours long (so in that the total amount of rest actually totals 12 hours)
simple really :open_mouth:

Yes but the 4 hrs must be in no more than 2 rest periods in total, and as you say no less than 1hr long,

4 x 1hr rests would not be legal as only 3 rest periods can be used, the 3rd being at least 8 hrs long. :wink: :wink: