Working hours / driving hours

hey all… is this correct…
you can do 3 ‘15’ hour days and 2 ‘13’ hour days in a week + a saturday as long as over a period of time u average 48 hours a week??

dbt:
hey all… is this correct…
you can do 3 ‘15’ hour days and 2 ‘13’ hour days in a week + a saturday as long as over a period of time u average 48 hours a week??

Not quite.

You are coming at it from the wrong way. You can reduce your daily rest period to 9 hours three times between weekly rest periods, not per week. This gives you the option to do 3x15 hour days between weekly rest periods. However, if you take a weekly rest period midweek you can reduce your daily rest six times in a week, meaning 6x15 hour days. That is for the EU Driver’s Hours Rules.

Fore the WTD you can work a maximum of 60 hours per week and average 48 hours per week over the reference period, 17 or 26 weeks usually. For those figures, 60 and 48, only driving time and other work count toward them, break, rest and POA do not.

im on containers so when im not driving im on break… if i do 3 15’s 2 13’s and say 4 hours on a saturday morning is that legal??

dbt:
im on containers so when im not driving im on break… if i do 3 15’s 2 13’s and say 4 hours on a saturday morning is that legal??

Yes, as far as the tacho regs go. You will just have to watch the 48 hour thing for the WTD but I imagine on containers that won’t be an issue as you get plenty of sitting about time normally.

As you are on containers I am guessing there will be days when you get a continuous period of at least 3 hours while be loaded or unloaded. If so, on those days when you take 9 hours rest at the end of your shift it won’t count as one of your allowed reductions because that will be a split daily rest with one period of at least 3 hours followed by a period of at least 9 hours, giving you 12 hours of rest and therefore not a reduced rest. Split daily rest will allow you to do more than 3x15’s between weekly rest periods.

thank you very much mate :smiley: yea on containers mate we have buckets loads of time to kill sometimes… the average is 1-3 hours… some are crazy tho… worst ive had is 10 hours…

dbt:
thank you very much mate :smiley: yea on containers mate we have buckets loads of time to kill sometimes… the average is 1-3 hours… some are crazy tho… worst ive had is 10 hours…

So you can use any of those periods of at least 3 hours to your advantage if you have already used your 3 reduced daily rest periods. You may want to do another ‘15’ for the overtime or to get somewhere, or even get home a day earlier and the fact 3 hours + 9 hours doesn’t count as a reduction can be a useful tool.

wasnt aware of that mate… nice one :smiley: lol so where do i stand on the W T D please with what i norm do?

dbt:
wasnt aware of that mate… nice one :smiley: lol so where do i stand on the W T D please with what i norm do?

The WTD isn’t about what, or how many days you work so as long as you don’t work more than 60 or avaerage more than 48 hours work in yoru week you are fine.

The only thing about what you normally do and the tacho rules is if you are running in every Saturday are you getting 45 hours weekly rest in before starting work Monday? Or at least 45 hours every second week.

when we run back on a saturday norm back by about 8 at latest and start monday lateish. ie 7-9. the boys who finish friday get the early ones :smiley: lol thank you for your help mate i realy appreciate it

dbt:
when we run back on a saturday norm back by about 8 at latest and start monday lateish. ie 7-9. the boys who finish friday get the early ones :smiley: lol thank you for your help mate i realy appreciate it

You’re welcome. Sounds like you have no problems hours wise.

Coffeeholic:

dbt:

Yes, as far as the tacho regs go. You will just have to watch the 48 hour thing for the WTD but I imagine on containers that won’t be an issue as you get plenty of sitting about time normally.

As you are on containers I am guessing there will be days when you get a continuous period of at least 3 hours while be loaded or unloaded. If so, on those days when you take 9 hours rest at the end of your shift it won’t count as one of your allowed reductions because that will be a split daily rest with one period of at least 3 hours followed by a period of at least 9 hours, giving you 12 hours of rest and therefore not a reduced rest. Split daily rest will allow you to do more than 3x15’s between weekly rest periods.

Is working time directive a law or a directive as the title would lead to believe?
Is a directive not more of a guideline than an actual law?? Do you think the v.o.s.a man would slap me for asking! :laughing:

total madness:

Coffeeholic:

dbt:

Is working time directive a law or a directive as the title would lead to believe?
Is a directive not more of a guideline than an actual law??

It’s actually The Road Transport (Working Time) Regulations 2005.

total madness:
Do you think the v.o.s.a man would slap me for asking! :laughing:

No idea, but it could be funny either way. :wink:

total madness:
Is a directive not more of a guideline than an actual law?? Do you think the v.o.s.a man would slap me for asking! :laughing:

Hi total madness,

I doubt that anybody would slap for you asking, cos IMHO it’s a perfectly good question. :smiley:

A directive (in this sense) is normally a piece of law that comes from the EU, but importantly, a directive is aimed at the governments of the member states.
A directive ‘directs’ the governments to enact certain national legislation covering certain mandatory points, and usually to have it in place by a certain date. As such, us citizens don’t need to look at directives and blindly obey them.

Taking The Road Transport (Working Time) Regulations 2005 as an example, the reason it had to come into existence is that the UK were ordered to enact it by Directive 2002/15/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council on 11 March 2002.

Article 16 of Directive 2002/15/EC says:

Article 16

Addressees

This Directive is addressed to the Member States.

Done at Brussels, 11 March 2002.

The UK Government complied with Directive 2002/15/EC by writing and then adding The Road Transport (Working Time) Regulations 2005 into UK legislation.

As for what should be obeyed, then the key words for us in the UK generally are “Act” AND/OR “Regulation(s)

:bulb: If Europe issues something that needs to be obeyed, the key to knowing whether it affects us or the government is in the way that the numbers are written in the title.

A Directive’s title starts with the year followed by the Directive’s number, [in the example above the year is 2002,] so it affects governments.
A Regulation’s title starts with the Regulation number followed by the year eg. Regulation 561/2006, [drivers’ hours] so that affects us directly.

At the end of a Regulation coming from Europe, there’s usually something like this from Article 29 of 561/2006:

Article 29

This Regulation shall enter into force on 11 April 2007 [ :wink: ]

This Regulation shall be binding in its entirety and directly applicable in all Member States.

Done at Strasbourg, 15 March 2006.

From this, you can guess that nobody got much say in the matter once it had landed on the doormat. :grimacing:

I hope this helps. :smiley: