Working for XPO

Anybody on here working or has worked for XPO? If so what are like to work for?
Shifts…pay/salary etc? Cheers

For a company that size it will all vary on location, particular job, contract, who they bought out and what pay those people were on etc.

mrginge:
For a company that size it will all vary on location, particular job, contract, who they bought out and what pay those people were on etc.

^^^^This^^^^
The guys I’m working with work on the same contract as another site nearly, yet they’re on different employment contracts and around £1k pa difference in salary

I think I work for them now so I’ll let you know in a couple of months :wink:

As others have said depends where you are based they are huge.
In my area though, they often pay very poor wages for class 1 drivers.

adam277:
As others have said depends where you are based they are huge.
In my area though, they often pay very poor wages for class 1 drivers.

Same contract different salaries Redhouse @£35852.11, the other @£34907.93

You’re just a bum on a seat to them. Personal initiative is frowned on at best. Expect to be drowned in paperwork. After a while you’ll have signed so much of the stuff agreeing to do ABC but not XYZ that no matter what happens it’ll never be anyone else’s fault but yours.

Corporate culture is an American one, of divide and conquer. Pay and promotion prospects are poor unless you’re the company brown noser or the company hero who works 75 hours a week.

Hard work is rewarded with…more hard work. Expect no sympathy if you have problems. Corporate attitude is if you don’t like it then eff off, as drivers are ten a penny.

My heart sank as I learned I would be working for them after the latest TUPE. They left T&C’s alone for minimum period they could get away with, then immediately started nibbling away at them. They play the long game so you always have to be on guard against stuff that some media studies graduate in an office thinks is a good idea.

I’ve worked the same job, pulling the same trailers carrying the same stuff to the same people for a good few years now, yet I’ve worked for 4 different companies, and xpo have been the worst.

I’m looking for other work, but as we all know it’s not a good time for it, and I suspect it’s not not going to be any better anytime soon.

WhiteTruckMan:
You’re just a bum on a seat to them. Personal initiative is frowned on at best. Expect to be drowned in paperwork. After a while you’ll have signed so much of the stuff agreeing to do ABC but not XYZ that no matter what happens it’ll never be anyone else’s fault but yours.

Corporate culture is an American one, of divide and conquer. Pay and promotion prospects are poor unless you’re the company brown noser or the company hero who works 75 hours a week.

Hard work is rewarded with…more hard work. Expect no sympathy if you have problems. Corporate attitude is if you don’t like it then eff off, as drivers are ten a penny.

My heart sank as I learned I would be working for them after the latest TUPE. They left T&C’s alone for minimum period they could get away with, then immediately started nibbling away at them. They play the long game so you always have to be on guard against stuff that some media studies graduate in an office thinks is a good idea.

I’ve worked the same job, pulling the same trailers carrying the same stuff to the same people for a good few years now, yet I’ve worked for 4 different companies, and xpo have been the worst.

I’m looking for other work, but as we all know it’s not a good time for it, and I suspect it’s not not going to be any better anytime soon.

Post of the year…

Contender right there.

This applies to all the ‘logistics’ providers not just XPO.

WhiteTruckMan:

Probably gunna be in same boat as you bud at some point,we’re expecting changes along the way,how drastic they are will decide for a few of us if we part company or not.

WhiteTruckMan:

Out of interest, I wonder how many drivers have actually had a positive experience with TUPE.

In my experience of take overs by US companies, it is invariably bad news for the vast majority of the workforce, this is in any industry, whatever market the company operates in, not just transport, indeed the first thing that happens is the payroll is usually cut by 30% when they dispose of the “low hanging fruit” usually middle management and clerical staff

bigdave789:
I too have found myself now working for XPO after myself and my collegues were subject to the TUPE at the end of last year after what had seemed a interminable transfer of the business that was postponed several times and at one stage went into “radio silence” sparking rumours that the whole thing had been abandoned
Like my colleagues, I have had no direct experience with XPO but from the soundings we have taken from other people in the haulage industry it’s not sounding promising, indeed the most positive comment has been “They’re not Stobarts” which isn’t saying much
In the run up to Christmas I was delivering to a supermarket RDC that was operated by XPO, both the warehousing and the transport, while using the coffee machine in the brew room, I read a poster on the notice board that was offering £100 to any staff member who introduced a Class 1 HGV driver to XPO at the site with a further £100 if they signed up to work there, my immediate thought was “Uh oh, this does’nt bode well!”
XPO are a huge American organisation owned by a New York hedge fund, in my experience of take overs by US companies, it is invariably bad news for the vast majority of the workforce, this is in any industry, whatever market the company operates in, not just transport, indeed the first thing that happens is the payroll is usually cut by 30% when they dispose of the “low hanging fruit” usually middle management and clerical staff

Sounds familiar this :smiley:

bigdave789:
XPO are a huge American organisation owned by a New York hedge fund, in my experience of take overs by US companies, it is invariably bad news for the vast majority of the workforce, this is in any industry, whatever market the company operates in, not just transport, indeed the first thing that happens is the payroll is usually cut by 30% when they dispose of the “low hanging fruit” usually middle management and clerical staff

Nothing new there.
40 years ago I worked for ITT - International Telephone & Telegraph,a huge American company who made televisions and electronics. They had a reputation for the take over and milking of competitors like Standard Telephone & Cables and KB Radio. They were known as ’ The Seagulls’ because they flew in ■■■■ all over everyone and then flew off again.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITT_Inc.

bigdave789:
in my experience of take overs by US companies, it is invariably bad news for the vast majority of the workforce

^
Watch out especially for a liking for loose loaded hand ball trailer loads and hub system operations.
Doing whatever it takes to involve drivers in the resulting ‘operations’ to avoid the costs and/or recruitment issues of sufficient warehouse labouring staff.
Also a liking for subbing out the best quality work while reserving the zb for their own workforce.
Insincere platitudes expressing false gratitutude re service to the employer one day and the disciplinary system used on a casual basis to get whatever they want done the next.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=167785&start=60#p2736483

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=167802

Carryfast:
^
Watch out especially for a liking for loose loaded hand ball trailer loads and hub system operations.
Doing whatever it takes to involve drivers in the resulting ‘operations’ to avoid the costs and/or recruitment issues of sufficient warehouse labouring staff.
Also a liking for subbing out the best quality work while reserving the zb for their own workforce.
Insincere platitudes expressing false gratitutude re service to the employer one day and the disciplinary system used on a casual basis to get whatever they want done the next.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=167785&start=60#p2736483

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=167802

Yawn!