Working for Manfreight

Any info on what they are like to work for please?

Are they the best company to work for in the North of Ireland out of the big players?

Whats the work like? Noticed them in doing a lot of amazon work recently.

I have no idea…

What they pay but, they’re in and out of our place day in day out.

The kit is right up to date, always looks well cared for and the trailers too.

Like most NI outfits, I expect you’ll be doing close to max hours for your wedge.

theguardian.com/commentisfr … rn-ireland

Were always in the bottom bracket for wages don’t know if this has improved with the takeover of the fridge side of DSV Ireland. Basically the work will involve lifting a trailer from an Irish coast port tipping it, time off reload and ship to Ireland rinse and repeat for 6 days.

Manfreight pay £220 (£240 Weekend) per trip, take home.

A trip can be from Portadown NI, or from one of the ferry ports, ie Cairnryan, Holyhead, or Birkenhead.

Its a bit controversial how they balance the trips length or duration, with local Cairnryan or Holyhead based drivers, competing with Portadown, some get one drop, one collection/ reload, others, up to six drops with shorter distance, although the Multi drops are usually all very near each other.

Its the balance that gets some peoples back up, one man/woman, goes to Manchester, another to midlands, or Milton Keynes, all same price, except London area, that’s £250.
Its all supposed to average out over time.

Some of the drivers only do 2 trips per week average, with part time and casuals, filling in the weekends etc.

By comparison to Sawyers/ AGRO , and Morgan Mclarnon, who pay a bit more £230 -£250, Manfreight probably have the lowest rate per trip, but, again, im told, the work they do is supposed to be a bit more streamlined, like less waiting around, but in reality, it varies, depending who you speak to.

Some say there’s a bit of favoritism, with certain people getting 3 trips a week nearly every week, getting turned around quickly at the ports, and keeping the trip distance / drops to a reasonable amount.
Difficult to compare, when you have local Cairnryan based Drivers doing trip distances or hours, the Irish ones maybe cant do, so it’s all a bit subjective.
There does seem to be plenty of work, if you want it
All kinds of working patterns, including all weekend, if that’s your thing.

To be fair, the “one price fits all model”, could never really be perfectly equal, there’s always someone or many, who seem to get the short straw.

And then of course their fleet is impressive, with lots of fairly new, higher spec 500 Scania “S” cabs, and Volvo 500’s, to wet the appetite.

If you want the money, and a nice modern wagon, its there i suppose, and if your willing to clock the miles, and go to wherever, even if the person beside you at the Ferry port is possibly doing less miles than you, then you fit will right in.

Manfreight still paying trip money dross.
Don’t pay parking/tolls/CPC courses nor 12wks average holidays.
FT Agro/Sawyers drivers on salary,
Parking/tolls/CPC courses paid and 12week average holidays too.
I know were I’d rather work!!! :grimacing:

It’s obvious is it not that trip money is designed for one thing…to get the last drop of blood out of you, in a similar vein to an incentive bonus which I believe is illegal, as it compromises road safety.
How any driver would want to work on those terms beats me,.and I couldn’t give a ■■■■ what kind of top range motor with ■■■■ spotlights they would provide…for me they could ram it right up their arse,.and pay me a proper wage on hourly rate instead.

robroy:
It’s obvious is it not that trip money is designed for one thing…to get the last drop of blood out of you, in a similar vein to an incentive bonus which I believe is illegal, as it compromises road safety.
How any driver would want to work on those terms beats me,.and I couldn’t give a [zb] what kind of top range motor with [zb] spotlights they would provide…for me they could ram it right up their arse,.and pay me a proper wage on hourly rate instead.

95% Northern Irish Frigo firms pay trip money or daily/weekly salary.
Only McBurney/PRM I’m aware pay hourly.
I keep a tight eye on my salaried hours@ Agro and spread out over a month defo works in my favour.
Every Fri I only do average 8hr spread and the Dublin boats “help” with 4hrs kip!!! :grimacing:

The odd time planning has you “missing” a card but salary stays the same then you REALLY win on the “daily rate” that week!!! :open_mouth: :sunglasses:

robroy:
How any driver would want to work on those terms beats me,.and I couldn’t give a [zb] what kind of top range motor with [zb] spotlights they would provide…for me they could ram it right up their arse,.and pay me a proper wage on hourly rate instead.

Have you ever did trip money on the continent
It did not always work in your favour all of the time but mostly it was up to you how much you wanted to earn
It was good in its heyday and that’s when you had to cross borders and do customs
If you were doing it now you would owe money to the haulier because you can only drive 9 hours now, and every ■■■■■■ watching you
How boring, bored out of your tree waiting to do your job sitting on your hole, yet you can do 15 hours if you’re breaking your bollox pulling pallets on or off your trailer or sitting waiting for a load
It’s a ■■■■■■■ joke bring back the days you could decide yourself how to do things