Working for DHL questions

I have an assessment and interview for a Cat C job with DHL Tradeteam. (Beers, wine & drinks delivery)
Anyone got experience with working for DHL? Particularly the Tradeteam group.
I’m a new pass, this will be my first assessment. Any tips would be appreciated.
As a new pass my approach was to gain employment with a large business in the hope that a high standard of training would be provided. Any new starts worked for DHL? How was it for you?
Thanks.

MDW:
I have an assessment and interview for a Cat C job with DHL Tradeteam. (Beers, wine & drinks delivery)
Anyone got experience with working for DHL? Particularly the Tradeteam group.
I’m a new pass, this will be my first assessment. Any tips would be appreciated.
As a new pass my approach was to gain employment with a large business in the hope that a high standard of training would be provided. Any new starts worked for DHL? How was it for you?
Thanks.

I don’t know if DHL Tradeteam are anything like my experience with DHL when they were (possibly still are) managing the driving for Argos, but they gave us a very challenging theory test, so revise your drivers hours and WTD thoroughly, and don’t be surprised if they give you a mini case study with questions

Thank you Zac. I have already started going through those. Apparently It’s a 2.5 hour assessment. I got notified about the assessment at 7pm tonight. I’m doing it 6AM this Monday. Not much prep time. I guess if anything it shows willing on my part.

Redhill?

stu675:
Redhill?

Trying not to give out too much info on location ect, but Not Redhill.

Tradeteam class 2 will be dray work,hard graft,kegs down cellars empties back out to pubs,used to be salaried pay I believe,quite a few drivers left and went to KNDL because it was hourly pay a while back and they seem to struggle for staff at Tingley now,always advertising on Indeed and tbf I wouldn’t handball what they do for what’s been advertised.
They’ll be a lot of city centre kerbside drops and some of their rigids are 6 leggers with rear steer.

I’ve done one , I can’t remember it being difficult at all , the driving assessor who went out with me said we’ve made this to0 easy , the drive was around Newark which I know like the back of my hand so was a doddle , I can’t remember anything difficult about written questions , said I’d passed that easily
The only bit that looked a nightmare was the amount of paperwork you had to do , unbelievable for what is just a delivery drivers job really , but like anything you get used to it

When I was there nearly 10yrs ago they would train you for a week on how to load/unload and handle all the different kegs etc and techniques for roping. They went to town on training, even down to getting in and out the cab correctly and being signed off in the training manual.

Proper hard graft, some pubs especially royal legion ones always give you a drink and crisps etc for your sweat though.

Did some weekend dray work on vans. Keeps you fit and strong but wouldn’t want to do it every day.

Ive seen it from the pub side (used to run my own pub 12 years ago). Our deliveries were from Carlsberg running out of Tingley. The driver always had a ‘mate’ and the mate did the work in the cellar usually while the driver unloaded from the truck and lowered the kegs down using ropes. I tell you now, 36 gallon kegs weigh shytloads and I wouldn’t recommend the job if you are over 35 or are unfit. You will be pulling muscles or worse after a couple of days. I did handball for Brakes and just moving 25kg sacks of spuds was more than enough for me. As a new start its a bloody hard gig and if you can do the dray work you can do anything! Access to the pubs and clubs can be a nightmare, especially when you get further into your round and places are actually open with busy car parks!

Swordsy:
Ive seen it from the pub side (used to run my own pub 12 years ago). Our deliveries were from Carlsberg running out of Tingley. The driver always had a ‘mate’ and the mate did the work in the cellar usually while the driver unloaded from the truck and lowered the kegs down using ropes. I tell you now, 36 gallon kegs weigh shytloads and I wouldn’t recommend the job if you are over 35 or are unfit. You will be pulling muscles or worse after a couple of days. I did handball for Brakes and just moving 25kg sacks of spuds was more than enough for me. As a new start its a bloody hard gig and if you can do the dray work you can do anything! Access to the pubs and clubs can be a nightmare, especially when you get further into your round and places are actually open with busy car parks!

Good news is only Sam Smiths still use 36 gallon kegs now,everyone else binned them off,22 gallon is the biggest now,most pubs order 11 gallon though as most of the breweries don’t give credit anymore so the landlords have to pay upfront and the industry’s that volatile at the moment they only order what they need to cover the weekends now,poor state of affairs I know,some cracking boozers gone to the wall recently.

Yorkielad:

Swordsy:

Good news is only Sam Smiths still use 36 gallon kegs now,everyone else binned them off,22 gallon is the biggest now,most pubs order 11 gallon though as most of the breweries don’t give credit anymore so the landlords have to pay upfront and the industry’s that volatile at the moment they only order what they need to cover the weekends now,poor state of affairs I know,some cracking boozers gone to the wall recently.

Shows how long Ive been out of the trade :slight_smile: But 22 gallon still weigh loads!! (73kg) The 36 gallon ones were stupid really absolutely massive, a few really busy city centre pubs i worked in years ago used them as they sold such large volumes of beer.

Don’t know how DHL work but one of the bits of the job I hated most was handling the money. Lots of customers who paid cash on delivery in that industry.

Thanks for all the replies. It’s given me a number of points to think about. Certainly helped me form a view.
Looking on line the smaller 11 gal keg would be approx 30kg.

There’s a high turnover of staff who start out on this job. As pointed out it’s hard graft and you’ll earn your money.

Dray work is graft, but you can cancel your gym membership!
I loved it, but it’s up to you if the pay/hours suit you.
If you can get through the first three or months, you’ll stay :slight_smile:

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk

MDW:
Thanks for all the replies. It’s given me a number of points to think about. Certainly helped me form a view.
Looking on line the smaller 11 gal keg would be approx 30kg.

I did similar work on gas bottles when I passed my adr, never again. The pay and conditions are absolute ■■■■■■ Now on the fuel and it’s easier, wouldn’t do anything like that again stuff that.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk