Working for ASDA/Safeway(morrisons)

Could anyone who is or has worked for the above
give me a brief good and bad.
thanks.
ps have to make it brief computer playing up

We have a guy just left our place to go to Morrisons at Wakefield.

He was telling me about the conditions the other day,but I can’t remember them all,however,you get a profit share which is based on a % of your wage,but you have to be there a full tax year to get it the following year.

You don’t get your own motor,only what’s available at the time you start.

You do a 45 hour week,but overtime is available,and you can do any 5 from 7,which is what has stopped me from going,as I go motor racing between March and October.Days or nights are available,and you would have to discuss what you can/cannot do at an interview.

You don’t do any physical work,only picking up and dropping your trailer. (I know this as I’ve worked out of Wakefield for my company on a subby basis.)

You have to take your 45 while tipping at a store,in order that they can utilise you and your vehicle better.

They have a susidised canteen.

You get 12.5% discount on non essential,non food items at the store,like dog food,batteries etc.No discount for your daily shopping items. (This I know cos my missus worked at store level for 8 years.)

I’m sure there are some other things that people will tell you,as I can’t remember them all,but I hope these pointers will help.

In my opinion,now might be the time to go work at Morrisins,what with their recent takeover of Safeways,meaning more job prospects,but their work patterns won’t suit everyone.

Ken.

hi,i work for asda at wakefield,tell me which area you are looking at as they all have different hours/pay/conditions.
for my depot the pro`s are easy work,good kit,good start times (for my lifesyle),reasonable money,no nights out,good banter,rotaed start times.
cons are work 5 sundays in 10,6 sats in 10.limited long runs and silly rules and practices
jon

Ken, I believe the new RDC in Cannock by us is going to be Morrisons, and C ■■■■ is roumoured to have the transport, heard anything about it? The place is ginourmous!

yes,c ■■■■ sub for morrissons a lot so it could be true.

Cheers Peter, Im thinking of trying top get in there meself it aught to be opening about the time i will be on rehab after me bypass next year sometime!

Being on a different contract at ■■■■’s,I haven’t heard anything,but I’ll make some enquiries about it,but yes,we do a lot of work for Morrisons,although I’m unsure as to which of our depots would service it Mal,because the nearest one is at Middlewich,and the managers brother works out of our place at Leeds!!! (Confusing or what?)

Ken.

Cheers Ken, all I know for sure is the place is really really big! Some say there’ll be a couple of hundred motors based there, but you know what rumours are like! :laughing:

Quinny:
You have to take your 45 while tipping at a store,in order that they can utilise you and your vehicle better.

Ken.

TOTALLY ILLEGAL!!!

TheBear:

Quinny:

Ken.

TOTALLY ILLEGAL!!!

no it isnt
they tip it not you
it is your free time,you dont unload morrisons wagons
jon

Nice to know it’s a doss Jon! :smiley:

jon boy 100:

TheBear:

Quinny:

Ken.

TOTALLY ILLEGAL!!!

no it isnt
they tip it not you
it is your free time,you dont unload morrisons wagons
jon

I always thought in order for a break to be absolutely legal the driver ‘has to be freely available to dispose of his/her time’ .
Lets say for argument it was the middle of the nigfht and hot food/drinks were not available at the delivery point and both a meal and a hot drink was wanted. In this case the criver is not freely available to dispose of his/her time.
On this basis I would take my 45 minute break where I wanted to take it. As I work at a current Safeway site about to be converted in the next few weeks I can see trouble brewing over this.

There is nothing illegal about what they do.Let’s not forget,that,along with other similar operations,Morrisons is one of the most high profile operations in this country,and if they were to do anything that bent the rules,then the ministry would be in there like a shot.The point here,is the fact that the driver does not tip/reload the trailer.

The fact that a hot meal may not be available to the driver,I would have thought,is not the problem of Morrisons.If you tip at a place,say,an RDC as a supplier,and decide to put your tacho on break,does that mean that your boss has to provide you with food and water while they unload you? I don’t think many will.So on that basis,how can the driver not be freely available to dispose of his/her time? Companies have no obligation to provide you with substance,but there is nothing to stop you walking off the shop premises,thus disposing of your free time.

I think that you’ll find that you’ll be on a loser with your point once you become fully transferred over.Morrisons work practice has been there for years,and I think they’ll be unlikely to alter their way of working,when they pay the wages.I think it’ll be a case of Safeway employees altering theirs,and coming into line with Morrisons.

However,I stand to be corrected,and only time will tell.

Ken.

My point is if a firm is stipulating a driver must take a break at a certain point at a certain time then he/she is not freely available to dispose of their time. The fact the vehicle is being unloaded is neither here nor their. So long as you quite rightly put there is no driver involvement in this practice… Should they be taking a break and be in a position where they wish to do so.

This is very much a grey area and the letter of the law will be interpreted in a number of ways. You have mentioned that there is no obligation on the part of Morrisons to provide hot food or drinks yet I would draw your attention to the Workplace Health Safety and Welfare Regulations 1992 which do stipulate that certain facilities do have to be made available. And usually are for workers in other industries. There is the problem here of course that this is usually at static locations and where retail stores will have a staff catering facility this will not usually be open in the small hours of the morning. The driver can very well walk off the premises to seek suitable facilities but at 3.00am on a Sunday morning in the middle of nowhere? These types of facility may only be found in motorway main service area’s at this time of day and these are not usually not within walking distance of local high streets. If a driver has been required to take a break at a location where facilities are not available then the firm does not have that driver’s best interest’s at heart and arguably may be in breach of the legislation mentioned above.

Speaking with background knowledge there has been some friction in the integration process where Safeway drivers (those wearing Safeway uniform although this is all one firm now) have been denied access to staff area’s in Morrisons stores. Rather perverse given these some of these same stores only days previously were Safeway outlets.