Working domestic and EU regulations

ll have a look and see if you can

Can a driver who has been working on domestic regulations for a week, finish work at 6 pm on Sunday (Domestic regulations) and start work on Monday at 00.01 on (EU regulations),take there required daily rest of 11 hours. and continue to do each day take 11 hours rest and then start there weekly rest at 13.01 Saturday.( note the driver started work on Monday at 7am till 6pm and worked 7 days finishing on Sunday at 6pm for week one, on week two the driver worked from 00.01 Monday till 13.01 each day till Saturday 11 hours daily rest, and then took a weekly rest from Saturday 13.01 )

what’s your thoughts

hi delboytwo

i would say its OK as there no requirement for a weekly rest on domestic regulations

Rest periods and breaks
Again, you must always obey the EU rules on rest periods and breaks on days and weeks in which driving in scope of EU rules is carried out.

A weekly rest period is not required in a fixed week where a driver does not drive under EU rules. Where a driver works under EU rules in one week and under GB domestic rules in the following week, the driver may take either a regular or a reduced weekly rest in the first week. If the driver takes a reduced weekly rest, compensation will be required by the end of the third week following the week in question. If this working pattern continues, the driver may take either a regular or reduced weekly rest period every other week.

Where a driver works under GB domestic rules in week one and the EU rules in the second week, the weekly rest required in week two must start no later than 144 hours following the commencement of duty on or after 00.00 hours on Monday.

so it would be possible then

delboytwo:

It would. :wink:

delboytwo:

Possible yes … legal no :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:

delboytwo:

It would.

so then there nothing stopping a driver on domestic regs from working till 11.59 on Sunday and then starting work on EU regs at 00.01 Monday

delboytwo:

Coffeeholic:

delboytwo:

It would.

so then there nothing stopping a driver on domestic regs from working till 11.59 on Sunday and then starting work on EU regs at 00.01 Monday

There is plenty to stop him doing that.

Coffeeholic:

enlighten me then :slight_smile: the only way to know is to tell :wink:

delboytwo:

Coffeeholic:

enlighten me then :slight_smile: the only way to know is to tell :wink:

Well, for a start, what about maximum duty time in the 24-hour period under Domestic rules?

Daily duty In any working day the maximum amount of duty permitted is 11 hours.

Day: The day is the 24-hour period beginning with the start of duty time.

The time you spend driving under EU rules cannot count as an off-duty period under GB domestic rules.

Driving under EU rules counts towards the driving and duty limits under GB domestic rules.

so then how come my OP can be done :question:

delboytwo:

It can’t legally. He can’t start until 07:00 on the second Monday as he has done all his duty for the 24 hour period beginning at 07:00 Sunday.

You asked if it was possible. Anything is possible but that doesn’t mean it’s legal. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Also there’s no daily or weekly rest period taken before starting the shift on Monday, the regulations clearly state that a daily rest period should be completed within 24 hours from the end of the previous daily or weekly rest period.

The regulations also state that a weekly rest period should start no later than six 24 hour periods from the end of the last weekly rest period.

The shift pattern described fails to meet either criteria as there’s no proper daily or weekly rest period between finishing work on Sunday and re-starting work on Monday, you should have a rest period of at least 24 hours between the end of shift Sunday and the start of shift Monday :wink:

tachograph:
The regulations also state that a weekly rest period should start no later than six 24 hour periods from the end of the last weekly rest period.

There is no weekly rest period required for the first week as according to Del he only worked under Domestic in that week. You only require a weekly rest period for a week in which you come under EU rules. If he did the EU week first and the Domestic second it would be a different matter.

As for whether 9 hours would be required before beginning the EU work I think depends how VOSA would view a short gap between domestic and EU driving, would they take that as one shift with a mixture of domestic and EU or totally separate?

Coffeeholic:

delboytwo:

It can’t legally. He can’t start until 07:00 on the second Monday as he has done all his duty for the 24 hour period beginning at 07:00 Sunday.

You asked if it was possible. Anything is possible but that doesn’t mean it’s legal. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

OK than lets say the driver on started work on Sunday at 00.00 and finished the day at 23.59 and then when to work on EU regs at 00.01 Monday could that be done :question: :question: (only 10 hours duty was done that day and the driver finished work at 23.59)

delboytwo:
started work on Sunday at 00.00 and finished the day at 23.59

err… isn’t that almost 24 hours ■■ :open_mouth: