Working at Height

Wheel Nut:

tartanraider:
The simplest way would be for the collection point to install fall arrest equipment. I feel pretty sure they would be in the deep smelly stuff if someone came off the top. I’m surprised they haven’t got it in this day and age?

The collection point isn’t normally the problem. It is the delivery, and for some strange reason they build houses in obscure places like in the middle of fields and up hillsides :stuck_out_tongue:

Well that’s bloody inconsiderate if you ask me! What about a bucket hanging from the crane on site?

Santa:
Seems to me that you are missing the obvious answer. Just put the lifting slings on before you load the trusses and leave them hanging down so you can hook them up from the deck.

Give that man a Yorkie. All it would need is some extra straps buying ie enough for each drop or lift then some way of securing them during transit (bit if blue rope should do it).

What ever way you look at it even if there are 6 lifts on a vehicle it has to be cheaper than installing fall arrest equipment.

I’d like to know your views on loading car transporter then boys, as I had some right barney’s over wheel straping cars on the top deck, even saw one ECM driver standing on his mirror arm to do it, I’ve seen to many fall off, they do have saftey rails, but they wouldn’t hold ya, even had elf & saftey round and they said we must have 2 feet on the ground, which is great so long as you don’t want to load the top deck, and thoughts.

I guess the same applies the H and S people don’t observe you working on it day to day so have no idea what the real risk is so nothing gets done. I have seen safety wires fitted to most car transporters but none of them look high enough to actually stop you going over the top of them in a trip on the top deck. Given that a modern car transports have about 3 sq inches of flat level deck these days I guess the trip hazard is huge.

I just think that the whole working at height whilst working on a truck gets brushed under the carpet and seen as un manley to complain about it. The scaffolders I have as mates used to use the same argument until one of their crew fell off the scaffold and died.

Perhaps an article in one of the magazines might help to draw attention to it

Got a fall arrester thingy that attaches to the hiab and then to your harness,its a bit like a winch thing with a brake, only problem is by the time the brake locks on you have already hit the ground as its not such a great height from the deck of the lorry…still the H &S people on site are kept happy when they see it :wink:

Just as a note of caution i was restacking cartons on the front of a t/liner when i fell backwards over one and fell off trl.Watch yourselves lads ive been ret confined to a wheelchair ever since and that was in 2001.

reading the above posts I had to smile, thinking of the days when we loaded wool bales 5 high on a flat deck then had to struggle with the sheets in the wind etc… after all that you had to climb down again using the wool hook as a crampon type of affair.
AHHH, the good old days when drivers were drivers :laughing:

only kidding before you shoot me down :laughing:

we supply storage containers etc,offloaded with hiab,I always use fall arrest and harness,something to do with being a safety rep in a former life,you wouldn’t believe the amount of stick I get from my work mates for being safety conscious,and from customers who want the wagon off site asap.If it aint used I dont do it,simple as.
Simon :sunglasses:

I have every sympathy with the OP.
About six weeks ago I watched a bloke on top of a high load on a low loader, putting the slings on to the hiab. Then I watched him fall backwards, onto the swan neck.
Result? One broken back.
Having had a fall from height myself resulting in a broken neck, It’s easy to be wise after the event.
I personally have no idea as to how to make your job safer, other than the suggestions already made.
Good Luck, stay safe.

all im going to add after doing H&S working at heights regs is if you also use a ladder or steps make sure its tagged and date stamped :laughing:

i said about this to a customs officer who wanted to go climbing in my trailer at dover a few weeks ago to get her H&S officer because her ladder was not tagged
my mistake they kept me waiting ages …but when he turned up he agreed with me that i was right :laughing:

pps forgot to add even our little fold down trailer ladders are now tagged :exclamation:

ask your employer to carry out risk assesment …