Working at height reg's

oldhippyandy:
The simple answer is that all containers etc should be bottom lift.I do containers with a hiab every day. You meet every level of H&S on different sites, from the 18 year old lad in a shorts and no PPE climbing up the side of the cabin and proceeding to do a Tarzan noise on the top, through a footed ladder and inertia reel/harness site, to a couple of the big companies who wont even countenance the use of a ladder under any circumstances. All I want is consistency and to be allowed to do my job. I am trained ,qualified and experienced at what I do like the majority of Hiab drivers. I’m 55 years old and have no intention of putting myself or anyone else in danger…I’m a grown up, please treat me as one.

Well said Andy , I could’nt have put that any better myself.
The problem is all common sense seems to have gone out the window with all the bigger companies competing with each other to see who can come up with the most rediculous rules and regulations yet half the time they cant even get the basics right.
Take “Suitable ground” as an example, I went on to a site the other day with a 20’ container/workshop weighing about 8 1/2 ton, done the whole induction,lift plan,method statement,risk assesment thing taking about 45mins was then directed up the site to what can only be described as a bog and when I said I cant set up in there they threatend to kick me off the site. :imp: :imp:
The bottom lifters cause problems too, I’ve had bottom lifters for about a year now and use them as much as possible but trying to get some folk to leave a gap between the containers is like drawing teeth.

I’m not sure I want to be asking for bottom lifters :laughing:

The practice of climbing on the container roof to attach slings is not acceptable.

Taken from HSE
http://webcommunities.hse.gov.uk/connect.ti/workheight/view?objectId=11955

Looks like I’ll have to get a drawbar outfit so I can keep a cherrypicker handy :laughing:

anyone remember container parks & services at silvertown with the bloke stood on the hook of a tower crane :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

oldhippyandy:
The simple answer is that all containers etc should be bottom lift.I do containers with a hiab every day. You meet every level of H&S on different sites, from the 18 year old lad in a shorts and no PPE climbing up the side of the cabin and proceeding to do a Tarzan noise on the top, through a footed ladder and inertia reel/harness site, to a couple of the big companies who wont even countenance the use of a ladder under any circumstances. All I want is consistency and to be allowed to do my job. I am trained ,qualified and experienced at what I do like the majority of Hiab drivers. I’m 55 years old and have no intention of putting myself or anyone else in danger…I’m a grown up, please treat me as one.

I couldn’t agree more.

Saratoga:

alfa man:
The two main problems with using fall arrest if you have the line attached to the Hiab are,
1 - If you fall and are left hanging who operates the crane to bring you down ? Remember hanging on a harness for any length of time can cause suspension trauma which in some cases can be fatal.

Wow! Someone who actually KNOWS about suspension trauma!!! When I worked on cherrypickers I was repeatedly told by management it was a myth and I should ignore that information. I’ve got a HSE doc here somewhere about it but I’ve got the pre-published version from about 7 years ago :astonished:

I had it 7 times, the last time I did a bungee jump :wink:

It is a good job this rubbish is only now coming in with a vengeance. There are dozens of places still around who allow drivers to climb on top of lift tanks, sometimes it is the only way. Many have had handrails for a few years but some of these designed gantries force you to climb over them or hang precariously over the edge.

When I started working we stored containers and repaired them. We had a Coles crane with an RSJ as a lifting beam. whoever was the monkey climbed on the RSJ and got a lift to the top of the container to put in the chain hooks. We were still doing it 25 years later at Norman Lewis. I don’t think anyone ever fell off, even when it was raining, snowing or dark.

Previous to that when we serviced the shipping container hatches, we could climb up the back doors using the rivets on the hinges as steps. Those things teach you to be more careful.

I remember Neil Hobbs used to talk about natural Selection. Well I am with him all the way :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s the American Claim culture that has caused all this H & S crap… Everyone is scared of getting sued.

can’t do this, can’t do that.
[zb] off, it’s done now.
simples.