Workers rights

Zac_A:

adam277:
Didn’t we have too much ‘workers’ rights. Which is what brought in the Thatcher era of union busting. As people were sick of blackouts and 3 day weeks lol? Well before the European Union.

But I was born in the 90s so well before my time :stuck_out_tongue:. Feel free to educate me.

A Southerner and too young to remember, you’ll have to take other people’s word for it that there was a lot about that era you aren’t aware of. I was working age when Thatcher came to power, she devastated the north, but looked after the south quite nicely, it seemed to us.

TBH I blamed a lot of her consolidation of power on Arthur Scargill (Miners Union leader) and his politically naive approach to the miners strike, he wrongly believed the working class were all behind him - we weren’t. His overly aggressive cak-handed approach allowed Thatcher to crack down on the unions, hence the very weak state of unions today. A least that my view of history, I know southerners of my age tend to view Thatcher very differently.

Nah - the free market demands low wages and very few unions Scargill or not the unions were getting wiped out. Thats why pay has stagnated for 40 years while bankers pay exploded

:smiling_imp:

Zac_A:

alamcculloch:
Lots of working people voted for the Tories for the first time in their lives back then.

A lot like 2019 then, most of us being horrified by the thought of Corbyn as PM chose the blond-haired-buffoon as the lesser of two evils.

What a mistake that turned out to be. At least corbyn would have windfall taxed the energy giants - now our children will be paying their profits for the next 100’ years - if we dont go bankrupt first.

JeffA:
:twisted:

Zac_A:

alamcculloch:
Lots of working people voted for the Tories for the first time in their lives back then.

A lot like 2019 then, most of us being horrified by the thought of Corbyn as PM chose the blond-haired-buffoon as the lesser of two evils.

What a mistake that turned out to be. At least corbyn would have windfall taxed the energy giants - now our children will be paying their profits for the next 100’ years - if we dont go bankrupt first.

Starmer and Reeves proposed a windfall tax, (and costed it) before the arf arsed, pay-day load was taken out in our childrens names by Truss.
The CEO of Shell has summat to say on the subject, and he seems less against it than Truss and Kwarteng!
But then, he is a business man in the real world, not a zealot.

Whoops forgot to add a link:
bbc.com/news/business-63084691

JeffA:
At least corbyn would have windfall taxed the energy giants - now our children will be paying their profits for the next 100’ years - if we dont go bankrupt first.

Then the energy providers pass it on to the customer with more price rises.
Added to carbon tax and VAT.Which the Labour lot want to increase.

It beats me why people take any notice of the Labour party they are as bad as the Cons…we have no one to vote for…Labour can not cost anything because they want a free for all on immigration we have not got enough of anything…our family will not be voting in next election we will spoil the ballot paper so as it is counted…there is none worth a vote :imp:

Carryfast:

JeffA:
At least corbyn would have windfall taxed the energy giants - now our children will be paying their profits for the next 100’ years - if we dont go bankrupt first.

They do that anyway. Even the boss of shell was saying windfall tax us - we’ve got more money than we know what to do with.

Nothing wrong with a carbon tax - we are soon going to be up to our necks in the north sea otherwise. Its kinda hard driving a truck in 40 foot deep seawater - it ruins the electrics.

JeffA:

Carryfast:

JeffA:

They do that anyway. Even the boss of shell was saying windfall tax us - we’ve got more money than we know what to do with.

Nothing wrong with a carbon tax - we are soon going to be up to our necks in the north sea otherwise. Its kinda hard driving a truck in 40 foot deep seawater - it ruins the electrics.

The irony you want to windfall tax the oil and gas companies which you admit that they’ll then pass on to the customer + VAT.
In addition to wanting to hit us with more carbon tax + more VAT.
Because you personally believe in the climate scam.
Even more laughably in Labour la la land all so that you can export it all to be burnt elsewhere while tying us to the £1 per kWh anything but green nuke and biomass and solar panel fuelled all electric utopia.

Carryfast:

JeffA:

Carryfast:

JeffA:

The irony you want to windfall tax the oil and gas companies which you admit that they’ll then pass on to the customer + VAT.
In addition to wanting to hit us with more carbon tax + more VAT.
Because you personally believe in the climate scam.
Even more laughably in Labour la la land all so that you can export it all to be burnt elsewhere while tying us to the £1 per kWh anything but green nuke and biomass and solar panel fuelled all electric utopia.

So you think if we dont windfall tax them they wont put the price up? Er…how come they are putting the prices up now then?

JeffA:
So you think if we dont windfall tax them they wont put the price up? Er…how come they are putting the prices up now then?

Oh that’s easy.
EDF is French. It also now owns most British Power Stations.
The French government has capped the cost of power in France.
So EDF is recouping its lost French profits, by charging their British customers (ie Centrica etc, also French?) double+.

people think we have just become a laughing stock since Truss and the home sec ,in fact we have been a laughing stock since 2002 when illegal immigrants rolled into the country and never sent back making fools of all those who have worked and paid and yes fought wars to keep us free…

Simon:

JeffA:

Oh that’s easy.
So EDF is recouping its lost French profits, by charging their British customers (ie Centrica etc, also French?) double+.

So all the gas comes from France? News to me. Are you sure?

And it only cost the French 8 billion to cap energy - they didnt privatise like the tories did so the french keep all the profit - not some fat CEO who wants another supercar.

fuse:
people think we have just become a laughing stock since Truss and the home sec ,in fact we have been a laughing stock since 2002 when illegal immigrants rolled into the country and never sent back making fools of all those who have worked and paid and yes fought wars to keep us free…

They didnt roll in - they were encouraged by the right wing faith in cheap labour.

And immigration this year is VASTLY higher than it ever was in 2002. The highest its ever been. 1.1 milion residency permits handed out by this Brexiteer govt.

Funny eh? You thought brexit would lower migration didnt you?

Simon:

JeffA:

Oh that’s easy.

To be fair our own government has done a good job of helping them by loading gas prices with ‘carbon tax’ as part of the climate scam and flogging off our gas resources including to France.

JeffA:

Simon:

JeffA:

Oh that’s easy.

And it only cost the French 8 billion to cap energy - they didnt privatise like the tories did so the french keep all the profit - not some fat CEO who wants another supercar.

The irony, climate supporters, who support carbon taxes and making us dependent on nuke fuelled electric at £1 per kWh so that our oil and gas can be exported, moaning about gas prices.

JeffA:

Simon:

JeffA:

Oh that’s easy.

EDF is electricity generation. That’s why I put “most British Power Stations”. Do please read what’s written, not pull other stuff out of thin air. EDF are into nuclear powered generation, rather than gas powered.
EDF was a private company, I’ve heard, but bought back by their government. It’s still run by the EDF executives, who were on a tidy profit share bonus, not so tidy now they’ve been capped.

Simon:

JeffA:

Simon:

JeffA:

Oh that’s easy.

EDF is electricity generation. That’s why I put “most British Power Stations”. Do please read what’s written, not pull other stuff out of thin air. EDF are into nuclear powered generation, rather than gas powered.
EDF was a private company, I’ve heard, but bought back by their government. It’s still run by the EDF executives, who were on a tidy profit share bonus, not so tidy now they’ve been capped.

What was your point? The French are causing the spike in energy prices? Can you try and support rather than who owns EDF?

And it wouldn’t make any difference to the price we were paying whichever country owned our power stations.

Carryfast:

JeffA:

Simon:

JeffA:

Oh that’s easy.

The irony, climate supporters, who support carbon taxes and making us dependent on nuke fuelled electric at £1 per kWh so that our oil and gas can be exported, moaning about gas prices.

Where’s this “our oil and gas” coming from? Is there some magic oil pipe near you?

You say climate supporters as if it’s a bad thing. You like breathing diesel particulates to fresh air I suppose? Puts hairs on your chest eh?

The Greens will end up destroying more of the world than a full nuclear exchange would, the way we’re heading now…

Destroy the Fertilizer, Destroy the Soil, Starve the Billions, suffer the Dieback…

One of the worst things that can happen from a full nuclear holocaust - is the “Nuclear Winter” that follows, destroying all food production about the planet…

“Stop Meat”, “Don’t plant unless you’re EU approved”, and of course “Stop Autocrats from getting it sorted” - leaves us all relying on someone else “not them” to get everything done, forgetting that we’ve all gone quietly into the night, having been disenfranchised, and written off as “Heretics” long before that point…

What worker’s “Right” do we really have these days?

“The Right to a job for life”? - nope.
“The right to pay that at least keeps up with inflation?” - Nope.
“The right to work more hours thus compounding the losses of lower pay?” - Yep, fully enshrined by the Unions who don’t understand Einstein’s definition of the “Most powerful force in the Universe”…
“The Right to work a maximum 48 hour week for full pay” - goes under this scenario, of course…

Compound Interest.

Rule of 72 Einstein.jpg

Winseer:
The Greens will end up destroying more of the world than a full nuclear exchange would, the way we’re heading now…

Destroy the Fertilizer, Destroy the Soil, Starve the Billions, suffer the Dieback…

One of the worst things that can happen from a full nuclear holocaust - is the “Nuclear Winter” that follows, destroying all food production about the planet…

“Stop Meat”, “Don’t plant unless you’re EU approved”, and of course “Stop Autocrats from getting it sorted” - leaves us all relying on someone else “not them” to get everything done, forgetting that we’ve all gone quietly into the night, having been disenfranchised, and written off as “Heretics” long before that point…

What worker’s “Right” do we really have these days?

“The Right to a job for life”? - nope.
“The right to pay that at least keeps up with inflation?” - Nope.
“The right to work more hours thus compounding the losses of lower pay?” - Yep, fully enshrined by the Unions who don’t understand Einstein’s definition of the “Most powerful force in the Universe”…
“The Right to work a maximum 48 hour week for full pay” - goes under this scenario, of course…

Compound Interest.

Oh FFS, I thought you had gone away.

JeffA:
Where’s this “our oil and gas” coming from? Is there some magic oil pipe near you?

You say climate supporters as if it’s a bad thing. You like breathing diesel particulates to fresh air I suppose? Puts hairs on your chest eh?

It isn’t ‘Climate Supporters’ that much tbh. It’s the carbon tax.
Not even the Carbon Tax either.
It’s the wholesale ‘belief’ that electric vehicles are the future, and there’s no ecological damage caused by electric vehicles.
So there’s no ‘carbon tax’ on electric vehicles

There is no direct air pollution, created by electric vehicles. We all know that.
But the electrikery to charge them comes from the national grid.
The National Grid gets its electrikery from power stations. Be they coal, gas, nuclear, wind(farm), solar or water powered power stations.
All of these now use rare earth magnets in their generators. Due to their high magnetic qualities, they make the generator more efficient.
For one thing, rare means - not widely available. How long are they going to last?
The way these rare earth metals are mined is horrendous to the Worlds ecology, let alone the local ecology.
These same rare earth metals are used in the electric motors of electric vehicles.
Then there’s the question of ‘recovering’ rare earth metals and recycling lithium ion batteries.
There’s also a similar question about ‘spent’ nuclear fuel, coolant water and other waste products. And the old defunct nuclear power stations.
All of these are being ‘addressed’. But the answers are still 10s of years away. The next generations problem, we don’t have the technology yet.
An aside. One anti-Brexit arguement I’ve heard repeatedly is, “You’ve wrecked our childrens future”.
Well these rare earth metals, battery recycling, nuclear waste disposal questions being left to “our children” to answer is, I think, going to give them much more of a headache than Brexit ever will, World Wide.

Gas powered generation, is still fossil fuel burning. Still pumping out huge amounts of CO2, still polluting the atmosphere. It’s just that you/we don’t see it, because it’s happening way over there, not right here in front of us. Hydrogen isn’t the answer to that either. It takes two tonnes of fossil gas to produce one tonne of hydrogen, by splitting it from H2O using electricity. Which then is less power dense, only equivalent to about 0.75 tonnes of fossil gas, from the initial 2 tonnes.

To charge all these electric vehicles, the actual grid of the National Grid will need to be doubled. The vast majority are going to be charging overnight, all at the same time. At the moment, the National Grid is just under it’s max capacity, it has very little leeway for increased demand. That means, either increasing the diameter of the wires on pylons, everywhere. Or increasing the numbers of pylons, probably a bit of both. More pylons with slightly thicker wire. Power generation will have to double. More power stations, or wind farms.
I remember, only a couple of years ago. On a perfect wind conditions day, Britains Wind Farms produces 33% of that days electricity demand. It was headline news. This was countered by wee nippy, in Scotland. She said, On that day, Scotlands Wind Farms produced 100% of Scotlands electricity demand, but it was all fed into the UK National Grid. I don’t know how correct wee nippy was, and she’ll use any excuse to promote Scottish Nationalism, so take it with a pinch of salt.
But the point of that is, Scotland will have to double it’s wind farms, to keep up with car charging demands. They’re everywhere and getting bigger.
I don’t mind wind turbines. But almost the whole country covered is going to be a bit much.

To cut this enormous post short. I think all this ‘electric vehicles will be our saviour’, is a load of rubbish.
The only pollution saved is the pollution right in front of our noses, and not going up it.
But the pollution and ecological damage caused elsewhere, all over the world, is just as bad as the particulates we aren’t breathing.

Just one other point. When the British Government looks at Ecological Damage, to award ecology friendly points. It looks at Ecological Damage caused in Europe or America. It doesn’t consider Ecological Damage caused in China, or Bolivia, or anywhere else in the world. But Ecological Damage is still harming the whole world, wherever it is happening. And wind and water don’t respect any borders. Look at the Sargasso Sea. It used to be known for it’s large sea weed mats. It’s now known for it’s huge discarded-plastic slick.