Worked like a dog this week

A couple of years back Ben & Jerry started buying 50% of their sugar from another company, much to the annoyance of not only me because it was taking away my mid week hometime and my bringing home monday loads on a friday. In all honesty my company worked wonders and made sure I got home every Friday for the weekend, even if it involved bob tailing 250 miles. We used to pray for the return of 100% Ben & Jerry’s supply and now we have what we wanted and have for about 3 months, due to B&J quality control pushing the fact that the other supplier provided rubbish in the fact that it was a dirty brown and stunk like vinegar, the sugar Domino supply is crystal clear and smells like sugar should, ad to that the fact that they found a dead body floating in the tank of the other supplier and their fate was sealed… So now we have so many B&J deliveries we can’t cope with the workload most weeks and have to bring in guys from other terminals to cover loads. We would have easily enough drivers at Yonkers if it didn’t take a day and a half for each load to B&J, it’s 670 miles and 150 of which are on minor routes, sometimes it’s 5 loads a day and the guys from the previous day have not returned.
Monday I delivered first load and then ran down to NYC, preloaded 2, next day I delivered my 2nd and came home, Weds I came down and preloaded 2 more, then Thursday delivered my 3rd but couldn’t come home because I had a 4th to deliver Fri evening and had to get as far south as I could otherwise not be home fri night. I went to the Pilot at Schodack NY, to time it right I took 12 hours and some other bloke loaded my trailer. I only stopped for Dunkin Donuts in CT and made B&J by 4.00pm with a 5.00pm appointment, I only had 4 hours to unload and get home, the guy had me pull in at 4.20 and I was out by 5.30, got to the spot I drop my trailer and log off duty with 6 minutes left on the elog :slight_smile:
2130 miles covered this week.

Good work bud! It’s surprising what you can do with the lure of home time
Kinda put me off b&j’s ice cream though, how did the sugar co explain the stiff in the tank?!!!

I don’t know exactly how the body got there, he was a Mexican constrution worker or so it seems, I always told Ben & Jerrys the other sugar company were unsafe and had foriegn bodies in there product :laughing:
You can’t be put of B&J ice cream, the standards of cleanliness are amazing, you wouldn’t believe the tests they put the ingredients through… Plus I get free ice cream :laughing:

4 deliveries to that place from NYC is some feat mate.

The only time I’ve delivered to T&J I was shocked how dirty it was there. I’m not talking about production area, but docks were filthy.

Shortcut:
The only time I’ve delivered to T&J I was shocked how dirty it was there. I’m not talking about production area, but docks were filthy.

Who are T& J ?
If thats a typo and you mean Ben & Jerry’s, you certainly don’t mean any B&J plant in the USA because they are spotless.

Anyway … It seems that Monday I have something other than B&J :exclamation: I will have to leave home about 10.00pm Sunday, down to NYC (250 miles), drop and hook to a preloaded trailer then back up into the Catskill mountains to Delhi NY for 07.00am monday morning, it’ll mean hauling ■■■ to get back up there on time, the route climbs to 3,500 ft near the small town of Andes, that mountain climb brings me down to 20 mph loaded.

I wouldn’t think much to a 10pm start! You’d have to give up most of Sunday for sleep, or attempted sleep at the least. Is the Yonkers terminal the one you’re based out of, or one nearer to home?

I’m based out of Yonkers, I got there at 01.45, hooked and out by 02.15, arrived at drop in Delhi (after a 30 minute nap en-route) at 06.15, was told to lay down till 07.00 because thats when they could take my load, delivered and down to the Pilot at Newburgh for 10 off.