Work wanted for new O/D

Not for me, but a mate of mine. He has been running a car transporter but as everyone knows its dead as a dodo, so he’s just bought a cheap 4x2 plated at 40 tonnes and is looking for work (traction only preferably)

He is based in Huddersfield in a secure yard, and has his own fuel cards etc, just nowt to pull.

So if anyone go any ideas/contacts, all leads be much appreciated

Cheers

PS already tried Freightliner + P&O Leeds

Oh no, here we go again!

I wish your mate all the luck in the world but YOU FIND THE WORK 1ST, then you get the lorry, this haulage business is not a game, yeah I know your mate probably doesn’t know anything but haulage, but he would be better off getting a driving job or signing on a few agencies until he had things sorted.

Desperate to go to work people are the reason rates are so crap, well one of the reasons anyway, that’s where these companies that offer weekly payment, trailer hire, fuel cards, parking etc come in, you start for one of those & you’re trapped, at least you are until you end up in the bankruptcy courts

newmercman:
Oh no, here we go again!

I wish your mate all the luck in the world but YOU FIND THE WORK 1ST, then you get the lorry, this haulage business is not a game, yeah I know your mate probably doesn’t know anything but haulage, but he would be better off getting a driving job or signing on a few agencies until he had things sorted.

Desperate to go to work people are the reason rates are so crap, well one of the reasons anyway, that’s where these companies that offer weekly payment, trailer hire, fuel cards, parking etc come in, you start for one of those & you’re trapped, at least you are until you end up in the bankruptcy courts

newmercman:
Oh no, here we go again!

He has been trading 4 years with transporter and bought the 4 wheeler to use with a trailer to deliver vans…he hasnt just bought a truck on the off-chance!

He has been in the game 25 years

Why bother replying if you cant put anything useful?

Try the usual suspects out of the docks at Hull or Immingham.

P&O
Bulmers
David Fox
Cobblefret
DSV

or the container lads out of Leeds

P&O have cut the rate by 2 ppkm for new subbies because of the good old supply / demand. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Id be to embarassed to even do that.

Has he tried the local manufacturing firms (there are still a few left in town!) who may require traction, also what about Pink Link?

Would he not be better off with a 44ton tractor unit for traction work? I think he should have gone the other way with a ■■■■■■ van delivering parcels for Xmas?

You did ask :sunglasses:

Try Youngs on Leeds Road. I’ve seen a couple of their trailers recently being pulled by units that were’nt theirs, i’m guessing they were subbies?

They were always advertising for employed drivers(read into that what you want) so maybe they are now getting the work done with OD’s. Give them a ring, if you dont ask you’ll never know.

DS074:
[
He has been trading 4 years with transporter and bought the 4 wheeler to use with a trailer to deliver vans…he hasnt just bought a truck on the off-chance!

He has been in the game 25 years

Sorry ! it didn’t sound like that in your first post, when you wrote

so he’s just bought a cheap 4x2 plated at 40 tonnes and is looking for work

Unfortunately we regularly get people coming on here who have just bought a truck on the off chance then can’t find any work roll: :unamused: :unamused:

What was he doing the other 19 years ?

Why bother replying if you cant put anything useful?

that’s t’internet - we don’t always get the answers we’re looking for

:wink: :

Maybe I didn’t make it very clear.

He has mostly been on transporters and started on his own about 4 years ago. He got the truck because he was getting asked to deliver a lot of vans, and his 11 car drawbar not very suited to vans, so he bought the unit and was going to hire a trailer.

Anyway, all work has dropped off on the cars, so he was just looking for something he could do with the tractor unit until things pick up again.

Ideally a bit of work for a small firm who have got extra on for Xmas or something, as we know the 4x2 not ideal for containers/dock work.

Thanks for the replies I have passed them all on to him