Work visas for the us

G’day,
I am a Scotsman in New Zealand on a 2yr work visa driving trucks,the company I work for sponsered me into the country,does anyone no of a similar scheme to get into the USA?

Regards
John-boy

John Boy,

Welcome to Trucknet :slight_smile:
No trucking company in the USA can sponser you to work here, sorry to be the bearer of bad news mate :frowning: Truck driving is classed as non skilled labour in the USA. There are a lot of advertisments from firms saying they can get you a green card but they are all lying and want to charge you a fee to investigate your green card possibilities.
You could try applying for a ten year work visa but there is not much chance of that working for a driver.
The only way a British cirizen can get a work permit is through having a very close relation who is a US citizen, you will find that nearly all the Brit drivers over here are married to a US citizen.
You could try Canadian firms such as Yanke, based in Saskatoon. personaly I would rather live in Siberia than the frozen waste lands around that place :laughing:

Hi Pat,
Thats no so handy,dinae think the wife would be to pleased if I had to divorce her to get married to an american.
I am just cruiseing about the net checking out ma next move,NZ is ok for now,but I would realy like to try America.Looks like I am stuffed there tho’ :cry:
Thanks for the reply.

Regards,
John-boy

Go to the ex-pats forum and look for posts on truck driving in the USA via the Harvest run,especially look for posts from “Allikat” as she’s over there on the harvest run at the minute.I done it myself in 2002 and would recommend it to anyone.

When you’re working, it’s a ■■■■ fine job. When the weather goes ■■■■ up, like it has this year, you can spend much of your time scratching your arse and wondering what to do stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Still, well worth it as an experience. (and I no-longer think 6year old MANs are the worst junk I’ve ever driven :laughing:)

Ahh,duno.The harvest carry on sounds bit pants like.The trucks kanae be as bad as NZ,Most of our fleet are Izusi 8’wheel wag and drag.I drive a 10yr old ERF EC10,and thats a flash truck. :sunglasses:

hi, chosen1,sent you a pm,looking some nz info.

Aye man,thought I sent you a pm back.Man eh’ll never get these computers.

Glenman,
Welcome to Trucknet and from my part of the world too!! :laughing:
Ring Richard between 9am and 6pm on 07774966675 or e-mail your CV to richwillynz@hotmail.com, he was advertising in “Profi” a Farm machinery mag this month looking for tractor/truck operators for the Kiwi silage harvest from Oct to April. :wink:

sorry chosen1,no sign of pm,although im surprised you got mine because im not the smartest with a computer.if you could try again great. big truck,can the magazine be found online?im off out now but will check in later, thanks for any help.

I think it maybe www.profi.co.uk or you could just try “Profi farm magazine” on a search engine or as your not too far away for the price of a pint on Sat afternoon I’ll bring along the advert which I’ve cut out for future ref for myself :question: :smiley:

Glenman,
Check out john.marg@clear.net.nz.

John-boy