Work in spain at the present time

Hello all i know theres a few brits on here living in spain and was wondering what the driving work situation was there now. Ive got hgv1 with 10 years experince
but only on tippers both artic and 8 wheelers and hookloaders and skips. Firstly what is the chance of getting in to this line in the murcia torrijevica area. And also what about other kinds of hgv either local or long distance. Any help would be great.

Basically forget it mate

Spanish drivers are being laid off all over the place and es[ecially the construction industry has been extremely hard hit.
Now is not the time to be coming to Spain unless you have enough funds to ride out this economic crisis

please don’t get offended kr79 but what a surprise a brit who’s thinking of going to torrevieja :open_mouth:
i don’t think they even speak spanish there any more :wink:
first thing about tippers as vasco said the construction industry is dead so thats not a good start, then you have to realise that you need to speak spanish fluently to compete with the spanish in the jobmarket and finally you have to be prepared to work for less than the romanians and bulgarians who have flooded into spain because we don’t have the same employment limits as you do in the uk.
i spoke to a romanian 2 weeks ago who was earning 32euros a day and was pleased with it :open_mouth: thats how bad its getting now i’m afraid :imp:

I know what you mean about brits there welshboy. My wife has been offered a job running a kids nursery there which would be enough on but i dont fancy scratching about doing odd jobs and bar work like many brits.

if you can afford to live as you say then the best advice i can give is to learn spanish and get a job in a spanish company, doesn’t have to be trucking.
my first job in spain i worked for a brewery delivering the beer on the small trucks and vans, hard work but you soon get on with the spanish workers and get accepted more than those brits who establish english speaking ghettos where nobody speaks spanish and then wonder why the spanish get fed up of them. it’s a bit like the situation in the uk where older asians don’t speak english and keep to themselves and certain people slate them for it

welshboyinspain:
if you can afford to live as you say then the best advice i can give is to learn spanish and get a job in a spanish company, doesn’t have to be trucking.
my first job in spain i worked for a brewery delivering the beer on the small trucks and vans, hard work but you soon get on with the spanish workers and get accepted more than those brits who establish english speaking ghettos where nobody speaks spanish and then wonder why the spanish get fed up of them. it’s a bit like the situation in the uk where older asians don’t speak english and keep to themselves and certain people slate them for it

Im going to look in to spanish lessons this week to get the basics at least mastered. Didnt think of looking for a van job or something like that i wouldnt mind that. Im not too fussed about driving a big truck just stuck in the groove of doing that for a living.
I realy appreciate the help many thanks.

there is a warehouse in torrevieja that imports uk beers such as carling and magners and the like which supplies lots of english bars they used to be part of the group that i worked for so when it gets nearer the date of your move let me know by pm or e/mail and i’ll give you their details

welshboyinspain:
there is a warehouse in torrevieja that imports uk beers such as carling and magners and the like which supplies lots of english bars they used to be part of the group that i worked for so when it gets nearer the date of your move let me know by pm or e/mail and i’ll give you their details

Thanks for that mate. my wife will be going in january but i will probbaly be going in about 12 months time. I have been doing the knowledge to be a london black cab driver and i am not giving up on spending the last two years of trapsing around london on a c90 Plus its always a fall back for cash if things go wrong.

kr79:
I have been doing the knowledge to be a london black cab driver and i am not giving up on spending the last two years of trapsing around london on a c90 Plus its always a fall back for cash if things go wrong.

That is going to do you a lot of good in Torrevieja :grimacing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I bet there are quite a few black cab drivers in torrivejca. Part of the description gaf in the costas love of golf lol