Work in leicestershire

Hi, my name is James.

Although I have only just registered here, I have been reading the forum for about a year. I currently work as a fitter for a firm which runs a fleet on own account work.

I have my class one and have gained my transport manager’s CPC.

I’m fairly happy in my job as a fitter but like many have always aspired to running my own vehicle, I know many on here are negative about starting out as an owner operator.

As we only really move our own stuff where I work now I don’t have many contacts with regards to the work that is available in my area, so my question is does anyone have any leads or contacts which they would be kind enough to share with me?
(If you don’t ask you don’t get and all that :smiley:)

Thanks James

Hi James my advice is to get your ops licence, a lot of the big boys don’t even want to send you the forms until you’ve got a number. If it’s just a few phone calls you want to make to see if it’s what you want to do, then 30 mins on the Internet will give you a lot of freight fowarders, clearing houses, bricks blocks , steel, insulation contacts etc etc. Win canton xpo maritime, etc etc it’s all out there.
Too many negative Norris’s on here with no real world experience, but I guess u already know that. And I bet any of the owner drivers on here will give you 15 mins on the phone if you ask.
And regards your ops licence, your talking what, £15 limited company set up, £150 paper advert, £450ish application.

Thanks for your reply Matt, i think my biggest problem is that i have a fairly good job now and it would be a big jump to go it alone. Ideally i would like to carry on doing what im doing and run my own with an employed driver.

Your circumstances at work, as far as I can see, would have to be pretty unique to suit what your suggesting. Maybe a partner or current owner driver or someone looking to sell up could be your way into without losing the day job? Good luck.

I’m looking for some work too on the side, I’m a good guy, I’m very discreet & I’m trustworthy. I have DCPC, ADR T+P & didgicard valid until September, if anyone is interested.