Work Ethic

As per title,
Work ethic , is it a common thing ? or are peoples work ethics becoming a thing of the past :question:
discuss :

There are still a lot of hard workers out there, those who go the extra mile to get the job done.
There may be a relationship between how hard folks work and the size of the organization they work for.

bazstan009:
There are still a lot of hard workers out there, those who go the extra mile to get the job done.
There may be a relationship between how hard folks work and the size of the organization they work for.

Just don’t expect me to drive an Axor! :smiley:
Bernard

Define ‘work ethic’ and I’ll comment. Do you mean getting the job done (or else) or do you mean getting the job done because you have a mutual respect for each other (employer/employee).

Sent from my iPhone using my right index finger!

I think in general the conscientious work ethic started dying out years ago for reasons too numerous to go into here. If those reasons were put into a nut shell then the Industrial Relations/Labour Relations statute changes which loaded the bias in favour of employers/business’s are the main reason for it IMO.

Personally i think it comes down to the individual driver, no matter what i always want to make sure my load gets delivered whatever happens, i get satisfaction from that, some will turn up and say, not driving that, not doing that or whatever, no reaaly me that.

if theres a job there do it and do it to the best of your abillity.

But then i’m not 17 so have more of the older values i think.

Madguy :smiling_imp:

I’ll work as hard i as i can, never refuse to do anything and work as many hours as is required, swearing down the phone at me isn’t a problem but if given a narrow cab fleet spec motor i’m not hanging around for long.

I don’t know any lazy wagon drivers! Just drivers who work hard for little reward! :grimacing:

I’ll go the extra mile, do jobs that are not mine, work on my days off, and try and make myself useful if it’s a quiet day at the office.

However, I don’t do decrementing pay, so I guess to some that gives me a weak rather than a strong work ethic. :blush:

Are we not supposed to “pay pit owner to employ uz”, and “get up half an hour before going to bed” and all that?

Winseer:
I’ll go the extra mile, do jobs that are not mine, work on my days off, and try and make myself useful if it’s a quiet day at the office.

However, I don’t do decrementing pay, so I guess to some that gives me a weak rather than a strong work ethic. :blush:

Are we not supposed to “pay pit owner to employ uz”, and “get up half an hour before going to bed” and all that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue7wM0QC5LE

I touch my forelock to you sir. An absolutely brilliant recollection of the way it used to be.

:smiley:

I’m a lazy bugger so I work as hard and efficiently (and legally) as I can to get the job done, that way I get home to be lazy that much sooner. If I get back to the office and they give me more work I just think ■■■■ it and get that job done as quick as possible.

I can’t understand why anyone hangs jobs out, Ive worked with people like that and they end up spending more time at work and earning the same (if salaried) just a bunch of idiots. :unamused:

I like to do a good job, and still take pride in my work, If it has to be done, then lets do it well. and of course, legally, but some employers don’t care about how much you put in to a job, or take advantage of you for going the extra mile.
It can be soul destroying when you realise that you get thought less of for doing more.

truckerjon:
I like to do a good job, and still take pride in my work, If it has to be done, then lets do it well. and of course, legally, but some employers don’t care about how much you put in to a job, or take advantage of you for going the extra mile.
It can be soul destroying when you realise that you get thought less of for doing more.

Although there are lots of hard working drivers there are an equal or greater number of bone idle ones too, the word “pride” is of equal importance to hard work.

Pride in your appearance, pride in doing the job to a high standard, pride in the cleanliness of your vehicle and how you interact with customers and colleagues.
The grafters are still out there and those who take pride, they just seem to becoming fewer as time goes on.

I think alot depends on who you work for.
Sometimes when you work for a big company, you become just a number.

I work for a large national bus company, and, to them, we are just a number.
However, my immidiate managers are brilliant, and I will always try to help them out, as they always help me out.

my only real motivation is not to be hassled, that and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Saaamon:
I’ll work as hard i as i can, never refuse to do anything and work as many hours as is required, swearing down the phone at me isn’t a problem but if given a narrow cab fleet spec motor i’m not hanging around for long.

So you’ll do anything as long as you get to drive a big flash lorry :question:

If you ever wonder why you need to work the amount of hours you do as a lorry driver, just to earn a living wage, you can find the answer to that by looking in a mirror :unamused:

You’re a guvnor’s dream, work like a dog, take whatever is thrown at you, both in workload and abuse, they’ll make good money out of you, so they have to spend a bit on a fancy motor, not a problem, you’ll pay for that for them and they get better residuals at the end of it :open_mouth:

PM me your number, just in case I ever buy lorries again, I would love a donkey like that to use and abuse, I’ll even buy you some spotlights and air horns :wink:

mike68:
Although there are lots of hard working drivers there are an equal or greater number of bone idle ones too, the word “pride” is of equal importance to hard work.

Pride in your appearance, pride in doing the job to a high standard, pride in the cleanliness of your vehicle and how you interact with customers and colleagues.
The grafters are still out there and those who take pride, they just seem to becoming fewer as time goes on.

I find that it’s much easier to work “with” the person in charge than to work “for” them.
This has earned me derision and several comments about what I choose to lick from some “colleagues” from time to time, always those whose
only aim was to screw as much cash out of the job as they could for the minimum of effort.

Each to their own but I do believe in giving a day’s work for a day’s pay.
I feel better about myself if I can honestly say I have done my best.

Regards,
Nick.

In self employment there is very little room for laziness, stringing the job out and such like. Any hour not spent working or doing something at home is not productive to me, I take time off when I need it but rarely because ‘I want a day off’ or have got a tickly cough! I’m fortunate that the two people I work for, I work with. I am directly connected to the company owners, this in itself makes the work seem more important and worthwhile. I talk directly to their customers who have bought from or sold a product to them, so this keeps my pride high. Big companies are all well and good with remuneration and so forth, I have worked for some and luckily they were both excellent employers and had excellent an chain of command. However, I find working for family run businesses that bit more worthy. Of course, however you look at it - you earn money for them for part of their business but then you get your own share of that if you continue to strive and work for them. When your boss says so and so said to pass on their thanks to the driver, or rings in to say hiw helpful their chap was, or an employer who says thank you at the end of the working day… That may not be a financial gain directly but it makes the money you’re taking out of the pay roll all the more worth it in the employers eyes. If you got that, you’be got a job for a while :wink: