Work dried up

lorrys seem to be disappearing from the roads, there just arnt the trucks about anymore, anyone know where i can get some tilt work?

why oh why would you want tilt work ? the whole thing is more of a builders contract from start to finish , more hassle than they are worth … i hate tilts can you tell :wink:

bowser:
why oh why would you want tilt work ? the whole thing is more of a builders contract from start to finish , more hassle than they are worth … i hate tilts can you tell :wink:

im thinking of getting a walking floor, but although they can carry mostly anything i find many people wont load them, preferring tilts, i hate them too :grimacing:

It’s very rare to see a tilt trailer these days, Euroliners seem to have superseded them.

from what ive seen over the last few years the trailers people call tilts aint tilts , a real tilt will do your head in after a few days , ok if you’re loading/unloading once a week but not everyday …

you have chipliners, any CPC holders out there will tell you they are illegal, no trailer should have curtains haoldin the load in, when full, a chip liner is over the width for general haulage and requires marker boards, haha :grimacing:

I happen to like the old tilt trls i used to tip and load them every day they used to keep you fit and when work went dead on the containers you would not get every tom ■■■■ and harry jump on them like they do on the euroliners of today

volvobloke:
you have chipliners, any CPC holders out there will tell you they are illegal, no trailer should have curtains haoldin the load in, when full, a chip liner is over the width for general haulage and requires marker boards, haha :grimacing:

I think that Chipliners have curtain straps which are specifically designed to be load-bearing and so are legal.

You don’t need side marker boards until the load projects by more than a foot each side, so they are probably just within that.

Used chipliners for 30 years always load with curtains very taught never had any trouble except got a load off Irish man and it came off the boat 13 ft wide side pole not in but got it tipped just got on with job no roll over sheets then was more like a curtain on roof with loads of buckles down both sides and no gantry either
Regards
Trailers

walking floors are great trailers, av got 2 of them, its versatile in that it can carry all types off stuff i.e waste, pallets, plastic pipes, road salt, sawdust are just some of the loads i put in mine, its like having a box/curtain/tipper/flat all in one trailer i would recommend them to anybody thinking of buying one. as for tilts your living in the past mate, everybody uses euroliners now for euro work cos you can load them thro the roof.

weewulliewinkie:
walking floors are great trailers, av got 2 of them, its versatile in that it can carry all types off stuff i.e waste, pallets, plastic pipes, road salt, sawdust are just some of the loads i put in mine, its like having a box/curtain/tipper/flat all in one trailer i would recommend them to anybody thinking of buying one. as for tilts your living in the past mate, everybody uses euroliners now for euro work cos you can load them thro the roof.

Once watched one tipping pallet loads of ceramic floor tiles at a building site. Somehow the floor wouldn’t turn off after he’d walked the first pair to end of the trailer to be tipped. 8 pallets of smashed tiles on the floor before he managed to kill the power to the trailer. :frowning: :laughing:

They’re a big improvement on curtainsiders for card and plastic bale collections though.

he must have been new to using them because there are emergency stop buttons on both sides of the trailer and also on the wander lead, the biggest problem are pallets with no weight on them cos they wont walk up/down the trailer unless you put the suspension up/down on unit and trailer, or they turn sideways and stop the whole loading/unloading process, the only answer then is take them back off and use the good old trusty pallet truck. ive had office staff come out to watch the pallets unloading themselves never having seen one before, its good to watch the load comming off and all you have to do is press a button, sweep out and shut the doors, job done :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I would rather work with a Euroliner than a Tilt. I hated having to strip Tilt’s… :imp:

Did tilts for four years, would go back to it in a minute, definitely kept you fit,

Sapper

Used to do a full strip down of a tilt trailer, where it turned in to a flat bed trailer, did keep you fit in 45 degree summer heat.
And sometimes the crane at a stone or marble factory in Portugal would pull the sheet back and forth for you, but the hook would tear the sheet on the roof like this.
The sheet would never be lined up after you had put it all back together, so would only thread a few holes in then drive down the road for the sides of the trailer to resettle.
i think the op means he may be after taut work and not tilt work,

Still see a few DSV / DFDS tilts

weewulliewinkie:

yes, quite expensive though, would love to get one, a lot of people with pallet loads wont let them go in a walking floor though even if they are on/off loaded on a bay, why is that?

the only issue with walking floor loads is if you,ve had a load of smelly waste in the trailer the smell tends to linger. however the best load is a load of fresh woodchips which cleans the trailer walls on its way out and leaves a lovely fresh smell. you also have to be careful if the loader is driving the forklift onto the trailer as it can damage the splines in the floor or cause a hydraulic leak. i think a lot of places have never seen one working so refuse to load them but its basically a boxvan with a sheeted roof.