Work/ Car Insurance

nightline:

ETS:
So if you have an accident on the job as a truck driver your car insurance goes up. Would you get a discount on your car insurance if you drive a truck 8 hours a day 5 days a week for 5 years straight and don’t have an accident? Yeah, didn’t think so.

No you would not no more than its nothing to do with your private car insurance
What you have here is the fear factor and most ■■■ holes will follow that the above posts prove that
It’s commercial insurance you have private car insurance nothing to do with each other
Talk about digging your own grave it’s the same as the blind leading the blind
Unbelievably

Yeah? The fact that you operate a heavy goods vehicle full time on a daily basis for years and years and have never had an accident doing it does not make you a maybe slightly better than the average car driver who drives the same route every morning and evening for a total of 2-3 hour per week, doesn’t even make you worthy of a consideration for a discount on your car insurance? Statistically of course you’re far more likely to have an accident in your truck but you didn’t - against all odds. Which means you’re an exceptionally good driver (by the average standards) but you’re still paying more than an FCO or similar.
Uncredible.

nightline:
All a load of bollox
Why would you report a clame in work to your private car insurance

So presumably if you got an endorsement on your licence while driving a truck you wouldn’t tell them about that either?

Harry Monk:

nightline:
All a load of bollox
Why would you report a clame in work to your private car insurance

So presumably if you got an endorsement on your licence while driving a truck you wouldn’t tell them about that either?

I thought the post was about accidents
Of course you would tell them
Did anyone you ever worked for driving trucks ever ask you did you ever have a accident in your car

nightline:

ETS:
So if you have an accident on the job as a truck driver your car insurance goes up. Would you get a discount on your car insurance if you drive a truck 8 hours a day 5 days a week for 5 years straight and don’t have an accident? Yeah, didn’t think so.

What you have here is the fear factor and most ■■■ holes will follow that the above posts prove that
It’s commercial insurance you have private car insurance nothing to do with each other
Unbelievably

nothing to do with fear factor, when you ask for a quote they usually ask if you have had ANY claims (fault or non fault) in the last 5 years. It is very clear on that.

If you ever have a policy cancelled due to non disclosure, then you’ll have a lifetime of bad premiums to worry about so not really worth it IMO

I can’t tell if you’re trolling or you’re actually that thick :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: have a little read nightline… :wink:

telegraph.co.uk/finance/per … surer.html

ETS:
…doesn’t even make you worthy of a consideration for a discount on your car insurance? .

Would be brilliant if they could let you build a second no claims discount. I guess the complexity vs the number of people that might attract isn’t worth the hassle for them.

Same problem for anyone who drives any commercial vehicle whether it company car, van, truck, bus.

Plus often you’re not mentioned specifically on the insurance unless there’s a claim so tracking this would be even harder.

I unfortunately learnt this the hard way, I started a thread on the subject here to hopefully warn a few people about it because the consequences are pretty dire, I’ve had to sell one car because i couldn’t afford to insure two any more, I also had to sell my daily and buy something cheaper to insure. I’ve not ridden my motorcycle because I then couldn’t get an insurance quote for a modified exhaust (just an end Can) as having a cancellation and number of incidents restricts availability of insurance providers. Had I known about this from the start i’d never have started doing class 2 multidrop let alone work for a company that sends you to places that a van would struggle to get in some of the time and then dismisses any incidents as par for the course rather than just refuse to deliver to places.

I too thought private car/commercial insurance was different until I had my insurance renewal cancelled, as did my manager, as did all my colleagues who have all had incidents and never declared them. I’ve nearly lost my job over it and its turned everything quite sour because once everything is a continually risk assessment you don’t squeeze in anywhere, you don’t park where the customer wants you to park, you park where its easiest for you to get out of and you can explain your reasons why till your blue in the face but you just get told your a ■■■■ driver. Its turned a job I enjoyed into a daily battle, I’ve lost all confidence I had despite being complimented on my driving/parking in the past and going from being ‘one of the best’ drivers to one of the worst. Yes i’m looking for another job and as much as I enjoy driving I need to leave it for a least 5 years to start with a clean sheet.

Apparently its changed in the last 5-8 years because every incident is uploaded onto a national database which every insurer has access to, having spoke to the insurers at great length it transpires they don’t check every single renewal against the database but they check 1 in every x amount at random.

maga:

nightline:

ETS:

Unbelievably

nothing to do with fear factor, when you ask for a quote they usually ask if you have had ANY claims (fault or non fault) in the last 5 years. It is very clear on that.

If you ever have a policy cancelled due to non disclosure, then you’ll have a lifetime of bad premiums to worry about so not really worth it IMO

I can’t tell if you’re trolling or you’re actually that thick :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: have a little read nightline… :wink:

telegraph.co.uk/finance/per … surer.html

Are you for real at what point in the questions does it say anything about commercial insurance
It’s a private car insurance quote and if you are thick enough to declare that then you fit the above post perfect
The question is have you had any accidents on your car NO there is no other question no matter how it’s asked it’s about your private car insurance
I think most of the answers hear are from trolls

trevHCS:

ETS:
…doesn’t even make you worthy of a consideration for a discount on your car insurance? .

Would be brilliant if they could let you build a second no claims discount. I guess the complexity vs the number of people that might attract isn’t worth the hassle for them.

Same problem for anyone who drives any commercial vehicle whether it company car, van, truck, bus.

Plus often you’re not mentioned specifically on the insurance unless there’s a claim so tracking this would be even harder.

It is like that it’s just most people don’t know it
The first thing any employer does is check the data base and may i Express its a commercial
Insurance base
They don’t give a zb if you had 5 accidents in your car it won’t show
Why because it’s commercial

sunsetdriving:
I unfortunately learnt this the hard way, I started a thread on the subject here to hopefully warn a few people about it because the consequences are pretty dire, I’ve had to sell one car because i couldn’t afford to insure two any more, I also had to sell my daily and buy something cheaper to insure. I’ve not ridden my motorcycle because I then couldn’t get an insurance quote for a modified exhaust (just an end Can) as having a cancellation and number of incidents restricts availability of insurance providers. Had I known about this from the start i’d never have started doing class 2 multidrop let alone work for a company that sends you to places that a van would struggle to get in some of the time and then dismisses any incidents as par for the course rather than just refuse to deliver to places.

I too thought private car/commercial insurance was different until I had my insurance renewal cancelled, as did my manager, as did all my colleagues who have all had incidents and never declared them. I’ve nearly lost my job over it and its turned everything quite sour because once everything is a continually risk assessment you don’t squeeze in anywhere, you don’t park where the customer wants you to park, you park where its easiest for you to get out of and you can explain your reasons why till your blue in the face but you just get told your a [zb] driver. Its turned a job I enjoyed into a daily battle, I’ve lost all confidence I had despite being complimented on my driving/parking in the past and going from being ‘one of the best’ drivers to one of the worst. Yes i’m looking for another job and as much as I enjoy driving I need to leave it for a least 5 years to start with a clean sheet.

Apparently its changed in the last 5-8 years because every incident is uploaded onto a national database which every insurer has access to, having spoke to the insurers at great length it transpires they don’t check every single renewal against the database but they check 1 in every x amount at random.

Sounds a bit over the top but if it did happen it’s because you were stupid and gave them the ammunition to ■■■■ you
It’s all totally ■■■■■■■■ its 2 separate insurance policies one private one commercial and the commercial is nothing to do with your private

Juddian:
Why would you risk your insurer denying a claim because you didn’t make full disclosure.

A serious enough bump could easily wipe you out financially, remember that house you paid for over many years of hard graft now worth north of £250K, well if you caused someone to have life changing injuries the insurer might pay them out as a third party claim in order to keep their reputation, but without a doubt they’ll come to you, the person who lied at the time, for the money.

A good opportunity to re-iterate for those who work at more than one site, check the small print, most policies that include commuting are to one place of work only, so class 1 business use is required, again another risk not worth taking…just out of interest Direct Line include business use in their comp policies, and by not paying the comparison sites (you won’t find them on there) their policies are very good value.

Because your insurer is not your private car insurance it’s commercial totally different totally separate
Only a fool would report a truck accident to his private car insurance

sunsetdriving:
Had I known about this from the start i’d never have started doing class 2 multidrop let alone work for a company that sends you to places that a van would struggle to get in some of the time and then dismisses any incidents as par for the course rather than just refuse to deliver to places.

So you just went ahead and trashed people’s cars because you thought you’d get away with it (insurance pays)?

nightline:
Sounds a bit over the top but if it did happen it’s because you were stupid and gave them the ammunition to [zb] you
It’s all totally [zb] its 2 separate insurance policies one private one commercial and the commercial is nothing to do with your private

You really are a blithering idiot aren’t you?

He did what you’re telling people to do and DID NOT DECLARE HIS TRUCK ACCIDENT for his car policy. The car insurance company did a check and found his name on a claim for an accident in a truck so cancelled his insurance. As he now has to also declare he has had insurance cancelled by an insurer he gets hit for even more money.

They do not care whether it is a commercial policy the claim was on and your car policy is non-commercial.

Conor:

nightline:
Sounds a bit over the top but if it did happen it’s because you were stupid and gave them the ammunition to [zb] you
It’s all totally [zb] its 2 separate insurance policies one private one commercial and the commercial is nothing to do with your private

You really are a blithering idiot aren’t you?

He did what you’re telling people to do and DID NOT DECLARE HIS TRUCK ACCIDENT for his car policy. The car insurance company did a check and found his name on a claim for an accident in a truck so cancelled his insurance. As he now has to also declare he has had insurance cancelled by an insurer he gets hit for even more money.

They do not care whether it is a commercial policy the claim was on and your car policy is non-commercial.

If you believe the post
As for being a blithering idiot I don’t think so I’m just a big know all like yourself, or think you are
I do not believe the post and anyone who has a accident in a truck and then reports it to there private car insurance is giving themselves problems
Does your agency ask you any questions about your car insurance does, the company you work out of ask you anything about your car insurance and any accidents you had
The two are separated private and commercial nothing to do with each other

ETS:

sunsetdriving:
Had I known about this from the start i’d never have started doing class 2 multidrop let alone work for a company that sends you to places that a van would struggle to get in some of the time and then dismisses any incidents as par for the course rather than just refuse to deliver to places.

So you just went ahead and trashed people’s cars because you thought you’d get away with it (insurance pays)?

Although I think he mentions 5 incidents, which is a little excessive before learning his lesson, a person is entitled to assume at the outset that his employer is using suitable vehicles and sending him to places appropriate to that vehicle.

I also think a person is entitled to make some distinction between what happens at work under the direction of his employer using commercial equipment, and what happens as part of his private life using domestic or private equipment.

Otherwise, does a professional chef who burns a pan at work under the pressure of a busy kitchen, have to declare that to his house insurer on some tenuous hypothesis that he may be more likely to set his own house on fire when cooking in his own kitchen (where he alone controls the pace, the workload, the choice of equipment and means, and the choice of whether to cook at all)?

Dear old nightline, with his own “special” view of how things happen. FYI, motor insurance is motor insurance, regardless of whether it’s a commercial vehicle policy, a company car policy, a private car policy or even a bloody motorbike policy. When they ask “Have you been involved in any incidents which may give rise to a claim?” that’s pretty much what they mean. They don’t mean “only incidents involving your own vehicle” or “only incidents involving a vehicle of similar type to the one you now want to insure”. For completeness, before spouting any more ■■■■■■■■ on the subject I suggest you acquaint yourself with the principle of “Utmost good faith” which underpins the whole of insurance law. And then re-read the post above from a member who had a couple of “incidents” while driving his employer’s lorry (commercial policy), didn’t tell his insurers when insuring his own vehicles (private motor policy) and what happened when his (private policy) insurers matched up the entries in the Motor Insurers Bureau’s CUE database.

Conor:
You legally have to report any accident you’ve been involved in. To not do so is classed as making a false statement and fraud.

There are questions asking you if you’ve been involved in an accident, it doesn’t specify whether work or not.

We cannot presuppose exactly what question he was asked. A statement is only “false” and fraudulent if it is made dishonestly.

If an insurer, with a view to issuing a policy for private motoring in a car, asks in a general manner have you had any claims or accidents, in my view that naturally pertains to accidents or claims in the course of private motoring in a car - the sort of risks to be covered by the policy sought.

It no more naturally relates to accidents at work at the wheel of your employer’s heavy goods vehicle, than it relates to such accidents as when you dropped a glass jar of pickles off a roll cage, tore your hi-viz on a sharp edge, put your fingers through cheap tissue paper whilst wiping, or when you knocked a vase off the mantlepiece at home.

Roymondo:
Dear old nightline, with his own “special” view of how things happen. FYI, motor insurance is motor insurance, regardless of whether it’s a commercial vehicle policy, a company car policy, a private car policy or even a bloody motorbike policy. When they ask “Have you been involved in any incidents which may give rise to a claim?” that’s pretty much what they mean. They don’t mean “only incidents involving your own vehicle” or “only incidents involving a vehicle of similar type to the one you now want to insure”. For completeness, before spouting any more ■■■■■■■■ on the subject I suggest you acquaint yourself with the principle of “Utmost good faith” which underpins the whole of insurance law. And then re-read the post above from a member who had a couple of “incidents” while driving his employer’s lorry (commercial policy), didn’t tell his insurers when insuring his own vehicles (private motor policy) and what happened when his (private policy) insurers matched up the entries in the Motor Insurers Bureau’s CUE database.

Totally wrong
They are separated databases
Use your brain i will try to make it simple for you as the dimwits are out in force
Again i will repeat when has a company ever asked you about your private car and

Roymondo:
FYI, motor insurance is motor insurance, regardless of whether it’s a commercial vehicle policy, a company car policy, a private car policy or even a bloody motorbike policy.

Insurers are not of that view, because my policy is clearly stated as a private car policy, and it covers no commercial vehicles whatsoever, nor company cars, nor motorbikes.

When they ask “Have you been involved in any incidents which may give rise to a claim?” that’s pretty much what they mean.

A claim against whom? The only sensible interpretation is that the insurer is asking about incidents which may lead to claims against themselves. They are not asking about the claim you may have against the restaurant when you choked on an olive stone.

I suggest you acquaint yourself with the principle of “Utmost good faith” which underpins the whole of insurance law.

You may benefit from doing the same, because that principle no longer applies to consumer insurance.

Rjan:
a person is entitled to assume at the outset that his employer is using suitable vehicles and sending him to places appropriate to that vehicle.

I also think a person is entitled to make some distinction between what happens at work under the direction of his employer using commercial equipment, and what happens as part of his private life using domestic or private equipment.

Absolutely agree with your 2nd point, I think insurance companies know it very well but have 0 interest in acknowledging it as it allows them to charge more money for their policies.

On your first point however I will argue that as a driver (or a person with common sense) it’s up to you to make the final call - it’s your license/reputation/insurance premium(s) on the line. That’s coming from someone who’s had a bump (with a steel fence post) himself due to observational failure, which is the 2nd type of fail - poor driving skills which is to be expected as a new driver hence why it’s important to learn to say “No” to customers and employers early on in your career. If you get to a place that’s difficult to get in, be on top of your game - check everywhere, all the time, get out, take a look, ask for help from the customer etc.; if it’s inaccessible for your vehicle, politely refuse or offer to offload somewhere else maybe help them handball it off if you feel like it; if you lose your job over refusing to try to get into a yard/street/place that’s inaccessible then clearly it’s not a job worth having.

ETS:

sunsetdriving:

My original thread had people asking me questions like this, so it must be the way I write my posts that causes some confusion, its difficult to relay any sort of emotion when typing but if you were to meet me in person then you’d see I’m not a careless or reckless person at all and I’d never purposely trash/destroy anybodies stuff, if it helps all the incidents I’ve had I’ve felt terrible about.

My incidents (I’ve had 3 so far) were mostly a result of inexperience, although there was a degree of poor planning but my only point is I was never told it would effect my insurance and I think people are still mostly unaware. I don’t think i’d have ever taken the job on knowing the ridiculous places you’re expected to delivery to, the demands the customer makes, the constant swapping of vehicles, the boss made it very clear that its his vehicles, his insurance, his rules, like it or lump it and he’ll send me wherever he wants. I racked up 2 incidents here, both on the run up to Christmas although in different vehicles and i’d just be shafted with my overtime pay again which was an unwelcome distraction the week before Christmas to say the least.

The company I work for now is a professional looking outfit, but is run by absolute clowns, only real benefit is i’m in my own truck 90% of the time and I get paid properly but they think nothing of making me deliver a few tyres or the best one was to deliver an envelope (invoice). Only other difference being that anything below £1000 is fixed without insurance being involved, although ironically I’ve not needed to use that yet. I did unfortunately catch a transit custom with my tail swing, I thought I was clear, but I wasn’t, the van itself was illegally parked, half on the kerb and on double yellow lines but that doesn’t stand for nothing, I know it was an error of judgement on my part but it still should never had been parked there.

That is the only other point I wish to raise, that car/van drivers knowingly park like idiots because they know its the moving vehicle that gets ‘done’ for any damages in effect you can park where you want, much like the crash for cash scams! One that stands out is two rival businesses on the same estate and one boss parks like a ■■■■■■■■ to stop the other from getting deliveries through, he’s got cctv everywhere, dash cam fitted and is just waiting for someone to hit his car, he can be seen watching people struggle to drive through with his phone in hand waiting to capture the moment but because the rival business is a good customer of ‘ours’ we are still expected to deliver there and even though we know he won’t move his car, we are expected to ask him everytime (thankfully the rival company now tries to park directly opposite and moves their vehicles if we can’t get through, although that doesn’t always happen because its a shared estate and people park where they feel like it.)

I’m currently stuck between a rock and a hard place, I was looking at moving out of the industry but i’m so used to working 55-60 hours a week that I just can’t afford to drop down to 39 hours a week in an office or whatever, I do enjoy the driving and I do enjoy a challenge sometimes but overall I don’t feel the reward outweighs the risk.

If it wasn’t for the fact my truck is heavily sign written I’d start recording the places we have to deliver to, I’m looking at buying a dash cam but I wouldn’t mind two cameras that look down the sides to actually witness the gaps were expected to go through, the service lanes and loading areas with vehicles abandoned everywhere.