WOOO first day class 2,, BOOO day from hell

right first things first, apoligies if this goes on a while but i need to vent as my mrs is working the night shift,

its a long story of my day and if any wannabe is reading this and feels detered from driving, DONT, everyone has bad days, just my bad day was my first.

right, the guy at the agency / company (they do both dont you know) did exactly as promised and got me some class 2 work within 2 days, bonus, so i turned up at 7am as requested to hear “right drive were not loaded yet, be about half hour, make your self a drink” NICE,
i looked inside the kettle and settled with a cold bottle of coke,
chatting away and he asked me for my mobile number to contact me through the day, * check pockets* ■■■■, make excuses and rush back home, not there either, phone it on my girlfriends phone “hello tesco garage redditch” thank god for that, so i go collect it from the forecourt were i dropped it and return to depot

9am still waiting, and its snowing, AGAIN. (we have had 12 inches fri-sat, and a further 3 on thursday)
by 9:10 the vehicle is released to me, a quick tutorial on how the tail lift works, (its ■■■■■■ and needs a kick on the bed every now and then) borrow a tacho disc off someone as i hadnt anticipated needing to buy them. and off i go

first impressions are not good , ive had a bad start to the day, and now im looking in the cab of a RENAULT 22 that looks like a teenagers bedroom, half the dash is hanging off and its a 6 speed, no splitter no range, straight simple 6er. oh well, the vehicle defect book is an entertaining read and i have a few to report myself, but anyway,

get off too a good start in total i have 13 drops, 18 pallets.shouldnt be too hard. HA

second drop i cant find for love nor money, approach from one side of town “low bridge 12” 4" im 13" 2. BALLS, so i approach from the total opposite side of town which im told accesses the estate and diverts the bridge and suprise suprise, its showing the other side now, AND i am so far out in the sticks i have no signal on my nearly lost phone.
at this point i think ■■■■ it and move on to the next, about 12 mile out my phone gets signal and i get the TM whinging (very politelly mind) that the client has been on the phone and cant wait much longer, he gives me some revised directions, which were head back were you first tried, ignore the low bridge sign , the estate is literally 200 yards before the bridge, okily dokily

so off i go and 100 yards from the bridge, no FRICKING estate,. and no way out, now im very sorry but its my first day and now im worried, no idiot behind or in front cares and its a total free for all,. so i have to hit reverse and be pushy, i manage until i see a suitable lane to duck into in reverse. unfortunatelly i clipped a small decorative wall, :blush: and the elderly lady was NOT happy , she wanted my details, NOW :angry: , before i move this truck off the road, and freeing all the back logged traffic, i calmy told her to move to one side let me pull in and i will talk to her.
i eventually got in without knocking any more off and run over to her with my details, she is sobbing, “i shouldnt be out here with a broken arm , its too cold, what do i do” i calm her down and reassure her that i am very sorry and it was a total accident, and i gave her my number with an offer of payment . but for now i REALLY have to get going, im 4 hours in with 1 drop done and im stuck half way up a country lane with no idea were i am.

are you still with me, good, it gets better trust me

i eventually find this place 3 mile down an un named country lane, single track , hump back bridges the lot, god hates me today,. as im reversing into the “industrial estate” i.e a farm, i see the customer in the window, i give him the wave of the delivery notes and he motions me further down the drive.
as he comes out hes tutting and saying “ere sunny, i wouldnt of done that if i were` you, the tarmac only runs 2 metres on the entrance”
GREAT. the snow had disquised what i now know to be a slurry covered track not suitable for man nor beast. THANKYOU FOR WARNING ME IDIOT! :imp: :imp:

needless to say i was stuck , and stuck pinned against a fence of which i havent seen since reviewing the footage of the barbed wire front lined somme.
whack my tacho onto break and have a tab and a breakdown. after a little while the tractor and 2 fork lifts had dragged and pushed me sideways on the snow, and after 2 more spin outs, im on my way again, the gaffer has just phoned aswell., dont you just hate it when they dont shout or whinge, its like your parents when there “dissapointed!”
the rest of the run was fairly routine, snowwed in yards, smoking onlookers tutting offering SOUND advice for someone who turns buttons 12 hours a day. one such example “wont your tail lift lift you out?” NO MATE

come drop 9 out of 13 it starts snowing locally and im running out of hours so i run back to depot . on the motorway i noticed that the limiter didnt hold me back at the 53 mph that the tag suggests, so thats another thing to keep an eye on. get back eject my tacho disc and theres nothing on it. JESUS H CHRIST what else…i have no explanation for this as all the modes functioned normally just no marks on the disc. so now i have to fill in my ■■■■ heap day on the back,

once i got in to the depot i appoligised for not completeing the runs and i dont get bawled at, he sounds ■■■■■■ off but his not showing it, maybe its a polite way of him saying, god your ■■■■,. but then he goes on too explain how another driver is 60 miles out. 2 hours over time and 4ft deep in snow.
maybe i am the least of his worries right now!!

to sumarise, sorry for the excessive use of commas and very bad grammar etc its just my style. and any advice criticisms etc is very very welcome, please¬!

Dont worry too much about it this was an " experience" that you have learnt a lot & with some luck wont make again

yeah buy a decent map book and sat nav,
if i have to think about a decision its probably a bad one so pull over and mull it over,
and i need to start judging were the back of my truck is better. the mirrors lie i tell you.

Sounds like an interesting experience, 9 out of 13 isnt too bad, considering the weather conditions.
I notice you are from the redditch area, can i ask you which agency you went through as i know getting your 1st drive can be difficult, im a newbie, got some 7.5 ton exp but taking my class 2 end of january with jcoates bham. good luck and happy trucking

Rule no 1 always carry a good map

Last time I went out did have a good map but still couldnt find 1 of my drops called in they tried to find it as well but couldnt & agreed it was a bit of a vague address so it happens but we live & learn from are mistakes

There you see you have learnt some things but just take your time & watch you can alway wind your window down & look out as your not on test now you have done that bit now it is time to learn

"You learn to drive to pass your test Then you learn to drive "

rubberduckY1234:
Sounds like an interesting experience, 9 out of 13 isnt too bad, considering the weather conditions.
I notice you are from the redditch area, can i ask you which agency you went through as i know getting your 1st drive can be difficult, im a newbie, got some 7.5 ton exp but taking my class 2 end of january with jcoates bham. good luck and happy trucking

i signed up to all the agencies mate and sent out over 40 handwritten letters to local truck and logistic companies asking for a chance.
i never went with coates, although i wish i had looked , i tried a1 and hated the truck the attitude everything about the place but each to there own, and i ended up training with associated transport tuition in redditch. good tutors good class 2 truck but they dont have a artic there, they operate w & d for class 1 training,

Thanks for the advice, i was going to sign up with all the agencies and approach all the local trucking companies like you did, i nearly went to att for training but like you said they didnt have an artic. I had a drive of jcoates wagon and it was nice to drive so went with them, they are also counting training as time for the periodic cpc so thats a bonus. Keep posting you diary and experience as it makes good reading and a lot can be learned from them, especially carrying a box of tachos just incase. never would have thought about that. cheers mate.

i should of thought of it myself because lets face it as a newbie they are not going to let a newbie out in a 10 plate truck now are they, just in case, and not many companies retrofit digitacho in an older truck.
now im just hoping i get another call back, as much as i hated today i need to get straight back in there and have a good day

A bad day indeed!! atleast that’s out of the way, get back out there and give it another shot, all experience at the end of the day!

i feel a little better today, being the morning after etc, im glad to know i wasnt the only driver messing up, and of course, things can always get worse.

look on the bright side , it could be a while till your next bad day cos it looks like you had several bad days all at the same time … :smiley:

only joking mate , good on ya for not giving up and turning into a jibbering wreck … :open_mouth:
seriously though its sometimes best to stop and have a think , you’d be suprised at the daft ideas you can come up with when you got yaself in a tiz.
they manifest into a complete inabilty to read road signs with me :open_mouth:

stick with it and good luck…

cheers bowser i know exactly what you mean, even driving down the road i was thinking, “this is going to end in a world of hate”

Well you certainly had an interesting day didn’t you!!!, We all have bad days, so don’t worry about it & don’t dwell on it either- like the saying goes tommorow’s a new day. Take it as water off a ducks back, learn from the experience & don’t stress when things don’t go quite as planned, the more you work yourself up the worse a situation seems/or becomes :wink: As has been sugested a good road map is a must, the weather won’t always be lousey, & while it is , don’t be afraid to get out & check the surface of the lane or driveway that you are about to pull on :bulb: If delivering to farms(particualy out in the sticks ) make sure you Get Out and Look where they are telling you to go (or you may get stuck) :exclamation: Think posative & put the day behind you I’m sure you’ll do just fine on you’r next run , happy trucking :smiley: :smiley:

just looked on google earth street view, and yeah in the dry its clear it wasnt a good idea.will try and get pics of the “bridge” and the wall that i tickled

the drive in normal conditions

the reverse i had to do due to no turning point or junction for over a mile

i think you did well mate…9/13 drops…dont worry about it at all

Merry xmas!

Good read, sounds similar to my first couple of days :open_mouth: Enough to put you off all together isn’t it :grimacing: We’ve all been there mate, you did good to get them drops off. The more you do it the more you get used to finding daft places like that, sounds strange but it is a bit of an acquired skill really, you’ll get there before long :wink:

chris_89:
The more you do it the more you get used to finding daft places like that, sounds strange but it is a bit of an acquired skill really, you’ll get there before long :wink:

thats true that is , it’s kind of like an instinct thing , you kinda know when somethings wrong … its the force i think , it will be with you at some point luke … :smiley:
( i stole that from star wars …)… :blush:

Not a particularly good start but it will get better :wink:

By the way whilst it’s a good idea to carry a few spare charts you should not have to supply them the company should have given you a couple.